Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE Options Help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite academic but have to work hard to obtain good results and become very stressed with regards to exams. I'm a perfectionist and would view anything lower than a B as a fail.
    As I live in Wales, Welsh Bacc and Welsh are compulsory subjects; both of which I'm not going to work/revise particularly hard on as the other subjects take priority for me personally and I don't think either would benefit me or my career in the slightest (plus I dislike them immensely!)

Welsh short
    Triple science - I'm not particularly interested in science but do quite well in it and my maths results allow me to take separate sciences, which I will definitely take up the offer on.
    Maths - I'm doing well and enjoy maths and don't think the maths GCSE will be a problem. However, I've heard that I'll have to do a separate numeracy exam which I will have to revise extremely thoroughly for as my teacher informed me it's similar to the national reasoning tests by the Welsh Government - which I'm dreadful at!
    English Literature
    English Language - Neither of the English exams will be an issue. I enjoy English and excel in most areas of it.
    RE Full - I quite enjoy RE and want to talk full course. Again, I'm doing very well in this.
    French - I love French and will definitely be taking this.
    ICT Full - This is one I need to take as this will assist with my career greatly, whatever path I take.
    History - I'm doing really well in history and quite enjoy it.
    Sociology - I love politics and think sociology is a subject that would interest me greatly.
    Business Studies - I know this is considered a 'soft' subject but think this would assist with any career path.
    Welsh Baccalaureate

As I do have a few less academic subjects (which I've NOT chosen because I think they're easy), in with the list, I've tried to combine them with some academic ones.

I'm currently predicted to achieve asecure level 7's to top level 8's in all of these subjects at the end of year 9. However, Geography is another subject I'm considering, as is music, as my music teacher has instructed me to consider taking music at a higher level; I enjoy it and get quite good results but think it may be an issue as I don't do staffnotation. I sing, play the guitar and play a small amount of piano but don't know the notes well enough and struggle with sight reading.

Please can you advise me as to whether 14 is too many to take and what subjects I should select. Thank you 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xchloem03X)
    I'm quite academic but have to work hard to obtain good results and become very stressed with regards to exams. I'm a perfectionist and would view anything lower than a B as a fail.
    As I live in Wales, Welsh Bacc and Welsh are compulsory subjects; both of which I'm not going to work/revise particularly hard on as the other subjects take priority for me personally and I don't think either would benefit me or my career in the slightest (plus I dislike them immensely!)

Welsh short
    Triple science - I'm not particularly interested in science but do quite well in it and my maths results allow me to take separate sciences, which I will definitely take up the offer on.
    Maths - I'm doing well and enjoy maths and don't think the maths GCSE will be a problem. However, I've heard that I'll have to do a separate numeracy exam which I will have to revise extremely thoroughly for as my teacher informed me it's similar to the national reasoning tests by the Welsh Government - which I'm dreadful at!
    English Literature
    English Language - Neither of the English exams will be an issue. I enjoy English and excel in most areas of it.
    RE Full - I quite enjoy RE and want to talk full course. Again, I'm doing very well in this.
    French - I love French and will definitely be taking this.
    ICT Full - This is one I need to take as this will assist with my career greatly, whatever path I take.
    History - I'm doing really well in history and quite enjoy it.
    Sociology - I love politics and think sociology is a subject that would interest me greatly.
    Business Studies - I know this is considered a 'soft' subject but think this would assist with any career path.
    Welsh Baccalaureate

As I do have a few less academic subjects (which I've NOT chosen because I think they're easy), in with the list, I've tried to combine them with some academic ones.

I'm currently predicted to achieve asecure level 7's to top level 8's in all of these subjects at the end of year 9. However, Geography is another subject I'm considering, as is music, as my music teacher has instructed me to consider taking music at a higher level; I enjoy it and get quite good results but think it may be an issue as I don't do staffnotation. I sing, play the guitar and play a small amount of piano but don't know the notes well enough and struggle with sight reading.

Please can you advise me as to whether 14 is too many to take and what subjects I should select. Thank you 😊
    By the sound of things it seems that you are doing very well in school at the moment. I would say that 14 subjects is a little excessive, however. The top universities don't look for versatility, but rather expertise in every GCSE subject which you take, meaning that straight 8/9 is better than a mixture of 7/8/9.
    I would pick these in your situation: triple science, maths, English literature, English Language, French, History ICT, RE.

I just finished my GCSEs at The Cathedral School Llandaff this summer and I can safely say that of the 67 students in our year, nobody took more than 11 subjects. We are a private school at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falling Uphill)
    By the sound of things it seems that you are doing very well in school at the moment. I would say that 14 subjects is a little excessive, however. The top universities don't look for versatility, but rather expertise in every GCSE subject which you take, meaning that straight 8/9 is better than a mixture of 7/8/9.
    I would pick these in your situation: triple science, maths, English literature, English Language, French, History ICT, RE.

I just finished my GCSEs at The Cathedral School Llandaff this summer and I can safely say that of the 67 students in our year, nobody took more than 11 subjects. We are a private school at that.
    Thank you so much for your response, that's a really helpful insight. I still have quite a bit of time to decide over the summer and the first part of the autumn term but I like to plan things out so I don't make a rushed, un-informed decision! I will definitely take into consideration your advice and will let you know what my final decision is; as long as the option boxes will allow me to, I would really like to take the subjects you suggest as in perspective, I think they will be the most useful to me :-)

ReputationRep:
    Just a few comments from me, I've finished my GCSEs, not in Wales though, so i don't know much about the welsh bacc.
    ICT is different from computing. You don't do any coding or algorithms or any interesting stuff in general. ICT is just spreadsheets, microsoft office, **** like that. No respectable employer looks for ICT GCSE (or any GCSE for that matter apart from English or Maths). Most computer literate teenagers would already have the skills that are taught in ICT, and the rest is just theory which is just a bit obvious and isn't very helpful in isolation. Computing is different though, which I would recommend. So overall, especially considering you have 14, I would say drop ICT.
    After that, I would say Sociology is also a subject which you know, is kinda not great at GCSE level. You may find it interesting but in terms of an actual subject which you'll have to sit exams in. It's a bit wishy washy.
    For GCSEs, I avoided picking as many "open-essay" writing subjects as possible, because you can't really revise properly for them in the same way as you can for say, maths. For GCSE level options, your priorities are as follows:
    1.Subjects that you need to take for your A Level choices
    2.Subjects that have the easiest to revise for exams that will give you the least stress (unless you hate/dislike that subject)
    3. Subjects that you like.

These may seem strange and disagreeable to a lot of you, but this is me being honest, after having finishing GCSEs, what the priotities should be. No one cares about which subjects you take for GCSE. GCSEs are just a springboard to A Levels and that's it. The highest point where your GCSE will be looked at are unis, and even they only look at the number of each grade or just English and Maths, rather than what you actually took. You really just want to minimise your stress at GCSEs, that's it. Pick the subjects with easy to revise for exams and will give you the highest grades.
    Languages are great (I did 3 foreign language GCSEs, none native). You learn the words and phrases you need to know and memorise them. For my GCSEs, it was great because our writing and speaking was coursework so that could be prepared in advance. For you guys it's different as you only get told the task 10 minutes in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dench,x,Kid)
    Just a few comments from me, I've finished my GCSEs, not in Wales though, so i don't know much about the welsh bacc.
    ICT is different from computing. You don't do any coding or algorithms or any interesting stuff in general. ICT is just spreadsheets, microsoft office, **** like that. No respectable employer looks for ICT GCSE (or any GCSE for that matter apart from English or Maths). Most computer literate teenagers would already have the skills that are taught in ICT, and the rest is just theory which is just a bit obvious and isn't very helpful in isolation. Computing is different though, which I would recommend. So overall, especially considering you have 14, I would say drop ICT.
    After that, I would say Sociology is also a subject which you know, is kinda not great at GCSE level. You may find it interesting but in terms of an actual subject which you'll have to sit exams in. It's a bit wishy washy.
    For GCSEs, I avoided picking as many "open-essay" writing subjects as possible, because you can't really revise properly for them in the same way as you can for say, maths. For GCSE level options, your priorities are as follows:
    1.Subjects that you need to take for your A Level choices
    2.Subjects that have the easiest to revise for exams that will give you the least stress (unless you hate/dislike that subject)
    3. Subjects that you like.

These may seem strange and disagreeable to a lot of you, but this is me being honest, after having finishing GCSEs, what the priotities should be. No one cares about which subjects you take for GCSE. GCSEs are just a springboard to A Levels and that's it. The highest point where your GCSE will be looked at are unis, and even they only look at the number of each grade or just English and Maths, rather than what you actually took. You really just want to minimise your stress at GCSEs, that's it. Pick the subjects with easy to revise for exams and will give you the highest grades.
    Languages are great (I did 3 foreign language GCSEs, none native). You learn the words and phrases you need to know and memorise them. For my GCSEs, it was great because our writing and speaking was coursework so that could be prepared in advance. For you guys it's different as you only get told the task 10 minutes in advance.
    Thank you for your response, it's really interesting to hear your perspective.

With regards to ICT, there is no GCSE course in computing at my school unfortunately. I would love to become an e-commerce manager, since I have a blog already, and feel ICT would be useful for this career path. Please let me know if you have a different opinion on this, as there are no qualifications you require to become an e-commerce manager, so not sure if it would be worth taking ICT, as much as I enjoy it.

I'm really surprised regarding Sociology; when my mum took this for GCSE, it was quite complex and was viewed as a 'respectable' GCSE. Thanks for informing me of this, I may just decide to take politics for A Level instead.

Again, thank you for the advice, it's really helpful. I will definitely take into consideration what you've said and perhaps substitute a few essay orientated GCSEs for more knowledge based subjects, as I feel this may ease the pressure for me too :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.