Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right so I'm currently 17 and have the option stay on at collage for another year then got to uni (provided I get the grades) or I could get a 3-4 year apprenticeship in the field I wish to study in, Engineering and then go to university at around 22. Is that too old to have a good time? Would I be more like to do better though? Is it odd being 22 and in halls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy_Price)
    Right so I'm currently 17 and have the option stay on at collage for another year then got to uni (provided I get the grades) or I could get a 3-4 year apprenticeship in the field I wish to study in, Engineering and then go to university at around 22. Is that too old to have a good time? Would I be more like to do better though? Is it odd being 22 and in halls
    I think you'd be getting best of both worlds.

I'm a mature student and I am genuinely having the best time as I don't have all the teenage nonsense to worry about and feel more 'together'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy_Price)
    IMO you should do the apprenticeship in engineering, if you'd prefer to do so, since 22 is defintely not too old for university. Especially, when the number of students taking a gap year, and working for a couple of years before uni, is considered too.

I remember when I first joined my uni's Freshers' chats on Facebook and a few people were asking: "How old will everyone be when they get to uni? I'll be 20/21/22 etc.", so you won't be alone. I personally didn't go to uni straight after college either tbh.

Plus you barely notice peoples' ages: someone you may initially think to be 18 or 19 when you meet them in halls, for instance, could turn out to be 23 or 24 upon asking them. So yeah, being 22 is halls wouldn't be odd at all; and 'course you could still be fun.

Tbh - more generally - the 'mature student' age of 21 is just a formality imo as further education is designed to typically end at 18 and precede a following three year uni course. I honestly feel that while more students do start university at 18 and graduate at 21, this trend shouldn't deter you from the apprenticeship. I'm sure you'll see people on a four or five year course who started uni at 21 and 22.

Plus, you'd have a lot more qualified experience in engineering than many of the other freshers on your course would have, and there's something more to look forward to at the end of your apprenticeship too I guess.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Don't go at all. Get an honorary degree.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replys everyone. given me a lot to think about.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my 4 years at university in September at 24 years old.
    I've got to say, if I'd have gone to uni at 18, I seriously don't think I'd have been able to hack it. In your late teens your mind is swayed by silly things like relationships, friendship dramas, and even just plain naivety sometimes.
    I feel so much more grounded and ready for it now I've had a few extra years maturing and experiencing the real world!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.