Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustDoIt!)
    for me it was like first year multiplied by 10, just because I didn't bother much in my first year. still made it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storm95)
    for me it was like first year multiplied by 10, just because I didn't bother much in my first year. still made it though.
    was your course lecture based?

ReputationRep:
    Entirely depends on your med school of course.

ReputationRep:
    I found second year a little easier as I was used to the teaching style (lectures) and things in general were more familiar. In first year I was mainly trying to find my feet.

Is there a significant difference in your first and second years (such as more clinical placements etc)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)
    I found second year a little easier as I was used to the teaching style (lectures) and things in general were more familiar. In first year I was mainly trying to find my feet.

Is there a significant difference in your first and second years (such as more clinical placements etc)?
    Umm, I'm not sure. But I guess, in second year, the content gets a little more harder to understand and clinical oriented like with case studies, etc?

ReputationRep:
    Umm, I'm not sure. But I guess, in second year, the content gets a little more harder to understand and clinical oriented like with case studies, etc?
    I actually found the content in second year much easier than first year because it was more clinically oriented. First year mainly covered pathology and anatomy which just had to be rote-learned, while in second year we got to apply what we had learnt to diseases and patient care which made it more fun and easier to learn.

Then again, all medical schools are different so it might be best to ask people in the year above you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)
    I actually found the content in second year much easier than first year because it was more clinically oriented. First year mainly covered pathology and anatomy which just had to be rote-learned, while in second year we got to apply what we had learnt to diseases and patient care which made it more fun and easier to learn.

Then again, all medical schools are different so it might be best to ask people in the year above you.
    That makes sense, I guess all medical schools are like you said different (which is controversial imo). Do you have any tips on study techniques? Did you make a timetable for your evenings and weekends? Did you start from day 1 of year 2?

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense, I guess all medical schools are like you said different (which is controversial imo). Do you have any tips on study techniques? Did you make a timetable for your evenings and weekends? Did you start from day 1 of year 2?
    For rote-learning, I used an online flashcards website called Quizlet to test myself on topics like Anatomy until they stuck in my brain. They also have an app so I could revise while I was out and about. It also made it more bearable than just staring at a textbook all day.

I'm not the sort of person who makes a timetable or organises their time and decides 'tomorrow I will study x' etc, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. What I would say is that you will have your own way of learning that works for you - stick to it. I used to worry that I wasn't studying 'right' because all of my friends made copious amounts of notes while I just read things over and over again. But we all passed, and that's what's important. The fact that you've gotten through first year means that you have the ability and determination to get through the course. Make sure you have a good group of friends around you who yo can let off steam when it's close to exam time or when you find things difficult. I think that's the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense, I guess all medical schools are like you said different (which is controversial imo).
    Used to be hailed as a good thing and an argument against the UKMLA! The idea being that some doctors on a team would think one way, and some another, and between them they'd make a better decision. Its also kind of inevitable given that some med schools have more/different resources than others.

It will also possibly get more pronounced with the introduction of new med schools based in what are currently DGHs, with no tertiary services.

But then the UKMLA is the huge thing happening to medical education right now so we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    Also remember, you'll be 'in the swing of university' by second year so you'll be much more prepared for the content. I feel this makes a massive difference in the perceived difficulty.

I found it about the same level of difficulty because of this. The content was harder and there was MUCH more but I knew how to revise and handle it so it all kinda averaged out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bow Tie)
    Also remember, you'll be 'in the swing of university' by second year so you'll be much more prepared for the content. I feel this makes a massive difference in the perceived difficulty.

I found it about the same level of difficulty because of this. The content was harder and there was MUCH more but I knew how to revise and handle it so it all kinda averaged out.
    Pretty much my experience as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bow Tie)

(Original post by Ghotay)
    Pretty much my experience as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, maybe I should start going to lectures from now on

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly.

ReputationRep:
    Make lots of use of the older years notes if you're on a lecture-based course. Much more useful than some lecturer's lectures...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.