Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New Student (Business Management, Undergrad) Some Questions Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    My UCAS application says the term starts september 1st, but the non-specific guidelines say fresher week is on the 22nd. what are the real dates?

Anyone know what the gym at city campus is like for bodybuilding? Ample free weights and machines, crowded? Perhaps pay for a gym nearby instead? (which one).

When can you move into university accommodation like Simpson Halls? Is it possible to move in a week or two before school starts or do I need to stay at a hostel or something?

What is the average class size for this course? I am unable to find statistics online any where.

Anyone know a way I can find out my teaching faculty and research/check reviews about them?

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

The official date of starting is the 22nd September, I had the 1st September as the start date on my application last year but it is when freshers starts is when it all officially starts.
    The gym at the city campus is pretty good and there is usually free space available and is never really that crowded. I wouldn't know about how useful it is for body building as I'm not a body builder myself, but I should imagine you'd be able to do your body building exercises no problem. You can always ask one of the gym staff if you're unsure.

The dates when you can move into your accommodation, if you look at your contract there should be a date for when the tenancy becomes active, it may display as a date and time for example, 22nd September at 10am.

As for class sizes, Business is actually becoming increasingly popular year on year, you'll find that the lectures can get quite busy, but your seminar groups, there is usually no more than 25 in each class as they break the classes down into smaller groups.

If you want to look up the information about the teaching facilities then you can look at this page here: http://www4.ntu.ac.uk/nbs/

Hope I've managed to answer all your questions and hope you enjoy your first year at NTU as I've just finished my first year and I can honestly tell you from my perspective, you're gonna love it!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Androgencx)
    My UCAS application says the term starts september 1st, but the non-specific guidelines say fresher week is on the 22nd. what are the real dates?

Anyone know what the gym at city campus is like for bodybuilding? Ample free weights and machines, crowded? Perhaps pay for a gym nearby instead? (which one).

When can you move into university accommodation like Simpson Halls? Is it possible to move in a week or two before school starts or do I need to stay at a hostel or something?

What is the average class size for this course? I am unable to find statistics online any where.

Anyone know a way I can find out my teaching faculty and research/check reviews about them?

Thanks guys!
    Hi Androgencx

Term officially starts here on Monday 2 October, the week after Welcome Week (Friday 22 September - Sunday 1 October) - you'll soon receive a Starting at NTU guide in the post explaining all of your arrival information including course induction and welcome activities.

The City gym is in the students' union building and is over 2 floors and has over 100 stations. There's a free weights section upstairs perfect for bodybuilding. The gym can get busy during term time, however you shouldn't waiting for machine for too long - plus there's always gym staff on hand if you have any issues. A gym membership is £12.99 per month.

If you do choose to use another gym there are plenty around the city - see, The Gym, YMCA Gym, Virgin Active.

You'll be able to move into Simpsons from Friday 22 September - again, you'll receive further moving-in information in the coming weeks.

The Business Management courses are very popular and have large course sizes. This means that some of your lecturers will be in very big lecture halls with over 400 students in. Your seminars, which will be where you unpack the teaching in the lectures, will be in class sizes of around 15-20 fellow students led by a business tutor.

We have a lot to shout about when it comes to teaching excellence, especially our business school. Nottingham Business School has gained AACSB accreditation, which means that it is in the top 5% of business schools worldwide. As a university, NTU has been awarded the Gold Award for Teaching Excellence.

"The TEF Panel judged that NTU consistently delivers outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students, which is among the highest quality found in the UK. NTU is one of 59 universities, colleges and other providers in the UK to receive the highest gold rating."

Hope this is helpful and helps to answer your questions. What are you most looking forward to about starting at NTU?

If you have any more questions please feel free to send them across

Tim - NTU TSR Rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottingham Trent University)
    Hi Androgencx

Term officially starts here on Monday 2 October, the week after Welcome Week (Friday 22 September - Sunday 1 October) - you'll soon receive a Starting at NTU guide in the post explaining all of your arrival information including course induction and welcome activities.

The City gym is in the students' union building and is over 2 floors and has over 100 stations. There's a free weights section upstairs perfect for bodybuilding. The gym can get busy during term time, however you shouldn't waiting for machine for too long - plus there's always gym staff on hand if you have any issues. A gym membership is £12.99 per month.

If you do choose to use another gym there are plenty around the city - see, The Gym, YMCA Gym, Virgin Active.

You'll be able to move into Simpsons from Friday 22 September - again, you'll receive further moving-in information in the coming weeks.

The Business Management courses are very popular and have large course sizes. This means that some of your lecturers will be in very big lecture halls with over 400 students in. Your seminars, which will be where you unpack the teaching in the lectures, will be in class sizes of around 15-20 fellow students led by a business tutor.

We have a lot to shout about when it comes to teaching excellence, especially our business school. Nottingham Business School has gained AACSB accreditation, which means that it is in the top 5% of business schools worldwide. As a university, NTU has been awarded the Gold Award for Teaching Excellence.

"The TEF Panel judged that NTU consistently delivers outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students, which is among the highest quality found in the UK. NTU is one of 59 universities, colleges and other providers in the UK to receive the highest gold rating."

Hope this is helpful and helps to answer your questions. What are you most looking forward to about starting at NTU?

If you have any more questions please feel free to send them across

Tim - NTU TSR Rep
    Whyat percentage of class time would be lectures and what percentage would be seminars?

I am transferring from a small College in France where the student-teacher ratio and attention is very tight. We also have attendance marks, tests, projects, etc, and I feel this helps keep me on my toes in school.

I am a little concerned about what I have read of uk universities: that they are usually final exam based, don't mark attendance or give projects. I am also concerned if the 400 person lectures will be the bulk of my class time. I don't feel inclined to leave my current college if this is the case - alas it so happens that I lose my focus in the UK.

what can you say about this? thanks so much for the responses
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Androgencx)
    Whyat percentage of class time would be lectures and what percentage would be seminars?

I am transferring from a small College in France where the student-teacher ratio and attention is very tight. We also have attendance marks, tests, projects, etc, and I feel this helps keep me on my toes in school.

I am a little concerned about what I have read of uk universities: that they are usually final exam based, don't mark attendance or give projects. I am also concerned if the 400 person lectures will be the bulk of my class time. I don't feel inclined to leave my current college if this is the case - alas it so happens that I lose my focus in the UK.

what can you say about this? thanks so much for the responses
    Hi Androgencx

During your first year you'll have 12 hours of teaching - 6 hours in lectures and the other 6 in seminars.

It is true that some of the modules will be assessed solely by exams however this is not the case for all of the modules on your course. You will be assessed in your different modules with a range of different methods; from exams to essays to reports and presentations.

The large lectures might feel a bit intimating at first (I can relate to that!) but you'll soon get used to the size - and the seminars will help to unpack the teaching in the lectures.

If you do have any concerns about coming to the UK then our International Student Support Team are on hand to answer any questions or queries about anything to do about being an International student at NTU. You can email the team at: [email protected]

Tim - NTU TSR Rep

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.