Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Picking 4 A Levels Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was wandering how many free periods people who have chosen 4 A Levels typically have in a day/week since I will be choosing to study 4.

Also, how many lessons of each subject you have in one week.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Do a BTEC and work 3 days a week. Less stress, more free time and you can easily get maximum ucas points with no luck required unlike a levels. But to answer your question I didn't get that many probably about 3-4 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa.Williams)
    Hello,

I was wandering how many free periods people who have chosen 4 A Levels typically have in a day/week since I will be choosing to study 4.

Thank you!
    Usually its 4 lessons of each subject a week. Assuming you have the typical 5 periods a day, you'll have 9 free periods, but chances are you'll be required to stay in school for about 3 of them so assume you get 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John10101)
    Do a BTEC and work 3 days a week. Less stress, more free time and you can easily get maximum ucas points with no luck required unlike a levels. But to answer your question I didn't get that many probably about 3-4 a week.
    Do top ranking universities accept BTECs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mightlobster)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on what course you are doing i suppose. I can guarantee they wouldnt accept a BTEC for things like medicine or dentistry. But for other courses they probably would do.
    I think some do though.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Excluding Oxbridge and subjects like medicine then yes pretty much all of them, I got into Cardiff Uni doing Compsci with a BTEC but bare in mind they required the maximum grade
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Often where courses require a specific A-level to be taken as a prerequisite, they require the applicant to take that A-level in addition to the BTEC (most commonly Maths for Engineering BTEC students).

ReputationRep:
    Wow! That's a lot more than I thought (which is a good thing). Thanks!
    (Original post by The_JoKeR)
    Usually its 4 lessons of each subject a week. Assuming you have the typical 5 periods a day, you'll have 9 free periods, but chances are you'll be required to stay in school for about 3 of them so assume you get 6.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Thank you!
    Maybe ask your school. It depends on how they do it how the hell should we know?
    At my school I get 18 free periods a fortnight but at another school I know it's about 5.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the timetable had around 5 slots per day. I wasn't really expecting anybody to know for definite, just an idea based on other people's timetables.
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    Maybe ask your school. It depends on how they do it how the hell should we know?
    At my school I get 18 free periods a fortnight but at another school I know it's about 5.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the timetable had around 5 slots per day. I wasn't really expecting anybody to know for definite, just an idea based on other people's timetables.
    Okay well my school is 8 hours a fortnight for each subject and we also have 5 lessons per day. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    i do IB haha and get 1 free a week, hearing about a level student's frees makes me so jealous lol
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John10101)
    Excluding Oxbridge and subjects like medicine then yes pretty much all of them, I got into Cardiff Uni doing Compsci with a BTEC but bare in mind they required the maximum grade
    Entirely depends on the course. For example Cambridge does accept a BTEC plus A-level Maths for engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    Okay well my school is 8 hours a fortnight for each subject and we also have 5 lessons per day. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Entirely depends on the course. For example Cambridge does accept a BTEC plus A-level Maths for engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I meant pure BTEC no alevels needed

ReputationRep:
    I do four and get 5 free periods per week (next year it might only be 4 but we would start and end school later and earlier respectively). I cope with the work fine

ReputationRep:
    i did 5 last year (AS) and three this year.
    i had soo many free periods that coping with 4 a levels wouldn't have been so bad since I would have only lost 4 free periods out of a possible 10
    you'll be fine OP dw

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. Well, it's really reassuring to hear somebody say that the workload isn't unbearably overwhelming! Thank you for this information - I really appreciate it!
    (Original post by zeldor711)
    I do four and get 5 free periods per week (next year it might only be 4 but we would start and end school later and earlier respectively). I cope with the work fine

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Five is a lot of A Levels. Do you mind me asking which A Levels you did? And thank you for your support!
    (Original post by hamzakalinle)
    i did 5 last year (AS) and three this year.
    i had soo many free periods that coping with 4 a levels wouldn't have been so bad since I would have only lost 4 free periods out of a possible 10
    you'll be fine OP dw

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Five is a lot of A Levels. Do you mind me asking which A Levels you did? And thank you for your support!
    Bio,Chem,Spanish,History and General studies.
    GS is an actual A Level but I should have probably said 4 + general studies regardless lol.
    and don't worry you're welcome!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.