Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with my Christian faith. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    I'm an Atheist.

For many parts, that's a perfectly rational reaction.

Do you know what you're upset about?

You talk about 'faith' as if it's some admirable quality. It's definition is remarkably similar to gullibility.

There is no evidence for a god, and we certainly don't live in the perfect world that any deserving of recognition would provide. Science now explains so much of what people created gods to hide their lack of an explanation for, that there simply is no reason to even suggest that one exists.
    Atheism is the easy way out of morality and is one of the reasons for the collapse in society; sure some religious people have done many terrible things in the name of religion but they are a minority.

Some of the 'science' you speak of for the most part is theoretical and in the same way the existence of God can be proven (through rationality).

Atheists typically spend their time on things that exist. If you think that you're a step ahead, you're walking in the wrong direction.
    I respect your decision to be an athiest, but do you really have right to tell me that I'm walking in the wrong direction for believing in God?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan Scott)
    Atheism is the easy way out of morality and is one of the reasons for the collapse in society;
    Morals based on logic and reason are vastly superior to those from books written centuries ago (to control people). For example, are the following moral?
    - Stoning of unruly children
    - Women witnesses' testimony being worth less than that of a man
    - Having sex with a 9 year old

sure some religious people have done many terrible things in the name of religion but they are a minority.
    To make good people do terrible things, you need religion.

How many percent of, say, Muslims believe that homosexuality (something that does no harm to anyone) should be illegal? Religions often want to impinge on the rights of other people.

Some of the 'science' you speak of for the most part is theoretical
    Science is revised when we find evidence that it is wrong or, more likely, not completely accurate in some situations. Not all religions will do that.

and in the same way the existence of God can be proven (through rationality).
    No, it really can't.

I respect your decision to be an athiest, but do you really have right to tell me that I'm walking in the wrong direction for believing in God?
    Yes. We call it an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Morals based on logic and reason are vastly superior to those from books written centuries ago (to control people). For example, are the following moral?
    - Stoning of unruly children
    - Women witnesses' testimony being worth less than that of a man
    - Having sex with a 9 year old

To make good people do terrible things, you need religion.

How many percent of, say, Muslims believe that homosexuality (something that does no harm to anyone) should be illegal? Religions often want to impinge on the rights of other people.

Science is revised when we find evidence that it is wrong or, more likely, not completely accurate in some situations. Not all religions will do that.

No, it really can't.

Yes. We call it an opinion.
    I don't share the same views people from all other religious faiths do.

And I can disprove most of those things you said, I'm more than willing to debate this on another thread.

ReputationRep:
    Hello OP.
    I am an atheist and so cannot relate with you on that regard. However, it seems to me you believe in God but are at odds with some of things he/Christianity condones (and rightly so).
    You can believe in God and not support him. You can believe he exists and yet oppose what he represents. There is no obligation to support what you believe in.
    He is hardly a role model worthy of respect imo.
    If you can't feel his 'presence' then perhaps you need to revise your beliefs and accept that maybe Christianity isn't for you.
    Consider attending some of those Christian camps (most do not require you to be religious but I have seen many unsuspecting teens return indoctrinated, so do be careful) and connect to people who share your beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Hi guys, so I became a Christian (previously atheist/agnostic) about a year ago. It was, without a doubt, the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am so, so grateful for God's influence in my life. However, I have been struggling an awful lot over the past few months and I'm looking for some guidance really.

I'm sort of at a loss with faith. After a couple of weeks I usually feel such a strong urge that either He's there or that I need to come back to the right path but that hasn't happened this time. I started losing faith (I hate using that term but I can't think of any other way to describe it right now) about 3 or 4 months ago and its just not really come back.

I still believe in Him, I regularly reread my testimony to try and inspire those feelings I had when I first became Christian but nothing comes back. One of the reasons is that I've stopped attending church and now, because its been so long, I feel nervous to go back. I'm not entirely sure its the right place for me, some of the sermons and practices haven't fit right in my mind and I'm starting to see my beliefs as more individual than collective. Despite my disagreements, I do think I need to go back to some place of worship as it is affecting me. Secondly, I'm the only non-atheist in my family so I can't go to the people I'm closest with for guidance because they actively try to discourage my faith. It's definitely hard to keep up a strong belief when you feel kind of isolated and there's no-one to physically pull you back.

I haven't read my bible in ages as I've felt this strange anger towards it and sometimes its immensity stresses me out and I'm struggling to connect with my one Christian friend because we're at such different points in our journey with faith. The times I've tried to just pray or listen to hymns etc I only get frustrated and I don't have a pastor or a strong, non-judging figure of faith I can talk to and I feel like I have all this pent up upset that I can neither control or let out.

I'm looking mostly for responses from other Christians but feel free to share your own other faith experience.
    If you need anything, you can always message me .

ReputationRep:
    So sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having with your faith, sometimes
    been a christian can be really hard work right? Well the one main thing to remember
    is that God is always there for you, maybe when you're at a loss of someone to talk
    to talk to God through prayer. There's a famous quote prayer changes things and it
    really do.

Prayer about all of the problems that you've been having and not feeling that the
    church you've been going to is right for you. Prayer about how disconnected you've been feeling. Prayer that God will guide you through this tough time and help you
    see what is the right path for you.

As I'm sure you know there are many different types of churches all wowshiping in
    their own way. Maybe try some ofthe different churches (if there is any) and see which is the best fit for you.

Think about what made you become a Christian and brought you to know God in the first place. that hopefully will help remind you of just how good God is.

The main thing to remember is that God will always be with you.

look to the book of Joshua 1:9

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and Couragous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go" and maybe listen to the song be bold, be strong.

I hope this helps, God Bless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan Scott)
    Atheism is the easy way out of morality and is one of the reasons for the collapse in society; sure some religious people have done many terrible things in the name of religion but they are a minority.

Some of the 'science' you speak of for the most part is theoretical and in the same way the existence of God can be proven (through rationality).

Well said!

I completely agree with you. I believe in God, and I believe that we all have a purpose in life.

ReputationRep:
    Your faith is your relationship with God. The church you attend is an entirely separate thing.

If you're attending a church you do not find supports the relationship you want to have with God then you should find another church or religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden State)
    I believe in God, and I believe that we all have a purpose in life.
    Based on what evidence?

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain OP.

I'm a firm believer in God, but I have also been an Atheist for a large part of my life. I think that there is a lot of pressure, particularly in the UK on theists to abandon their faith, in favour of Agnosticism and Atheism.

Unfortunately, with the continuous social conditioning that goes on in schools people have been falsely led to believe that religion is a bad thing, that should be abandoned. But, there are actually a lot of good things to be found in religion, and I don't see how belief in say Christianity is incompatible with science, or the progression of society.

I'm not a Christian, but I enjoy reading the Bible, and listening to sermons in my spare time. My advice is that you should hold on to your Christian faith if that's what makes you feel better as a person, and to not worry about what others think.

ReputationRep:
    i am a Roman Catholic. i really love the four gospels which tell how Our Lord went around Israel doing amazing things. i am completely turned off by the rest of the New Testament... St Paul is such an annoying person, yet we are supposed to admire his intensely dull letters to all and sundry in the Near East.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Hi guys, so I became a Christian (previously atheist/agnostic) about a year ago. It was, without a doubt, the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am so, so grateful for God's influence in my life. However, I have been struggling an awful lot over the past few months and I'm looking for some guidance really.

I'm sort of at a loss with faith. After a couple of weeks I usually feel such a strong urge that either He's there or that I need to come back to the right path but that hasn't happened this time. I started losing faith (I hate using that term but I can't think of any other way to describe it right now) about 3 or 4 months ago and its just not really come back.

I still believe in Him, I regularly reread my testimony to try and inspire those feelings I had when I first became Christian but nothing comes back. One of the reasons is that I've stopped attending church and now, because its been so long, I feel nervous to go back. I'm not entirely sure its the right place for me, some of the sermons and practices haven't fit right in my mind and I'm starting to see my beliefs as more individual than collective. Despite my disagreements, I do think I need to go back to some place of worship as it is affecting me. Secondly, I'm the only non-atheist in my family so I can't go to the people I'm closest with for guidance because they actively try to discourage my faith. It's definitely hard to keep up a strong belief when you feel kind of isolated and there's no-one to physically pull you back.

I haven't read my bible in ages as I've felt this strange anger towards it and sometimes its immensity stresses me out and I'm struggling to connect with my one Christian friend because we're at such different points in our journey with faith. The times I've tried to just pray or listen to hymns etc I only get frustrated and I don't have a pastor or a strong, non-judging figure of faith I can talk to and I feel like I have all this pent up upset that I can neither control or let out.

I'm looking mostly for responses from other Christians but feel free to share your own other faith experience.
    It is a difficult situation. You can't get to a church which you would enjoy and benefit from and you have another year to wait till you get to Uni (and possibly a city where there would be more church choices).

If I was you, and I know you have to be quite disciplined to do this, I would start listening to an app called 'the bible in one year'. it's from a church called HTB (Holy Trinity Brompton) and they are the church that started the Alpha course. It's a great way to either listen to the bible (as it has an audio button) or read through the daily sections. I do some of it, not all each day.

I'd also suggest you watch the Alpha course podcasts. I think there are about 12 of them and they are great in reigniting your faith. I know as I've done the course twice and love it.

https://www.htb.org/media/event/Alpha+Summer+Term+2017

I'd start with the first talk 25th May and work back. Who is Jesus? | Stephen Foster

https://www.htb.org/media/who-jesus-stephen-foster-3

all the talks to date
    https://www.htb.org/media/event/Alpha+Summer+Term+2017

Also put some Christian music on and sing along to it , I always find that makes me worship God.

When you go to Uni there is usually a list of churches in the area given out by the Christian Union, or do your own research. I'd go to a few until you feel at home in one and agree with their teaching, which must foremost speak about the love of God as the bible teaches us.

I'd love to know how you became a become a Christian, especially having an atheist family. I should imagine its been tough.

ReputationRep:
    Based on what evidence?

Found a great talk for you, a Christian ex-barrister, now vicar, talking abut the historical evidence for Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)

Hiya, Muslim here. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling spiritually low :console:

Try to remember why you found God in the first place, go back to that reasoning and don't stop praying and asking God for his guidance. Watch some videos which may try to clear up any doubt you're having and most importantly don't think God does not hear your calls for his help because he does. Peace be upon you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Based on what evidence?
    Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with any conclusive evidence to support my claims. Faith is an intrinsic element of the human experience, and so my belief in God is down to my own understanding and interpretation of the world around us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Found a great talk for you, a Christian ex-barrister, now vicar, talking abut the historical evidence for Jesus.

How does that prove a god?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden State)
    Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with any conclusive evidence to support my claims. Faith is an intrinsic element of the human experience, and so my belief in God is down to my own understanding and interpretation of the world around us.
    Thanks for your honesty.

What about "interpretation of the world around us" makes you believe in a god?

ReputationRep:
    How does that prove a god?
    If you have time listen to it and see how this guy came to the conclusion that Jesus did exist and He was God.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your honesty.

What about "interpretation of the world around us" makes you believe in a god?
    I believe that we are connected to God.

I believe that there are three planes of existence: physical, metaphysical, and spiritual. The physical existence is constrained by the laws of physics. The spiritual existence is based on vibrational frequencies, and relates to channeling different kinds of energies. The metaphysical existence goes beyond the laws of physics, as it transcends our Universe, and is not constrained by time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    There are a lot of aspects of my church I love, its really accepting (unless you're gay - I'm not but a couple of grossly homophobic preachers have rubbed me up the wrong way), very casual, lots of emphasis on tangible experience with God and the ability to help with mission work etc. However, their strong view points on the aforementioned queerness, euthanasia, physical powers of preachers and other touchy subjects, I haven't always agreed with. This was one of the reasons I stopped attending and now its been so long, I do feel so nervous to return! I think that is one thing I do just have to get over and go. Because I don't have religious support at home, I do need it somewhere and I know that in a year or so time I'll be at uni in a different city and, hopefully, will find the church for me.

Bible wise, its not necessarily the scripture or teachings of the bible that frustrate me - but thank you so much for your willingness to help me on that. I think, because I have somehow amassed this anger against God, I don't like reading His word. A stupid analogy, but its like having an argument with a friend which makes you angry seeing any texts or messages from them. I also don't really feel anything when I read them anymore. Beforehand, when my faith was strong, I'd read the bible and feel a connection and a desire to read on but now I feel nothing.
    If I were you I would stay away from that church. Any power a preacher has comes from God. Churches that have the cult of personality are dangerous!

Anyway, I would say I'm a Christian myself (been one for 20 years) and I can relate to what you've said. I've stopped going to church, hardly read the Bible and don't really pray.

Here are my reasons why:

I stopped going to church over a year ago because I just had enough of it. At times sermons would turn into conspiracy theories about the world coming to an end. I would feel scared, stressed out and depressed after attending the services. I hated the church's attitude towards Muslims and homosexuals. I hated that it seemed to be so emotionally driven and not much thinking. There was also this pressure put on the congratulation (by certain leaders) to read the Bible more, pray more, attend church more regularly and go out witnessing. It was like what we were doing was never enough. There are some good people in the church and some have remained in contact with me since I've left. One of the pastors has been a good friend to me and helped through a difficult time when I felt suicidal. He knows about my doubts and doesn't agree with them but still accepts me.

I agree with Rob Bell in this video when he says the Bible is a product of it's time. I think atheists like Richard Dawkins are far too harsh on the Bible because it's historical writings. Sure we can judge those who lived centuries ago with our 21st century morals but what we think now and what they thought then is so different. Back then they were doing what they thought was right, like we're trying to the right thing now. Some Christians say the Bible is the word of God but how come it's not perfectly written? We can live in denial about the contradictions but the fact is they do exist. Such contradictions may be

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.