Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with my Christian faith. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    There are a lot of aspects of my church I love, its really accepting (unless you're gay - I'm not but a couple of grossly homophobic preachers have rubbed me up the wrong way), very casual, lots of emphasis on tangible experience with God and the ability to help with mission work etc. However, their strong view points on the aforementioned queerness, euthanasia, physical powers of preachers and other touchy subjects, I haven't always agreed with. This was one of the reasons I stopped attending and now its been so long, I do feel so nervous to return! I think that is one thing I do just have to get over and go. Because I don't have religious support at home, I do need it somewhere and I know that in a year or so time I'll be at uni in a different city and, hopefully, will find the church for me.

Bible wise, its not necessarily the scripture or teachings of the bible that frustrate me - but thank you so much for your willingness to help me on that. I think, because I have somehow amassed this anger against God, I don't like reading His word. A stupid analogy, but its like having an argument with a friend which makes you angry seeing any texts or messages from them. I also don't really feel anything when I read them anymore. Beforehand, when my faith was strong, I'd read the bible and feel a connection and a desire to read on but now I feel nothing.
    If I were you I would stay away from that church. Any power a preacher has comes from God. Churches that have the cult of personality are dangerous!

Anyway, I would say I'm a Christian myself (been one for 20 years) and I can relate to what you've said. I've stopped going to church, hardly read the Bible and don't really pray.

The reason I struggle with my faith is that I've changed how I view the Bible. Having said that it might not be that I struggle with it, maybe it's just evolved. Anyway, I agree with what Rob Bell has to say in this video about the Bible. I don't think the Bible is the word of God, because if it was it would have been written a whole lot better than it actually is. I think it's a product of it's time. I plan to start a thread with me going into more detail about my faith journey and doubts so I'll stop here.

But what I will say to you lowza is pursue truth. If you think Christianity is true pursue Christianity and don't give up on that. But maybe it worth looking at other religions to see if they're right for you.

There a good podcast called Unbelievable? On it there are debates between Christians and non-Christians. Most of episodes have debates between Christians and atheists. But there are some that have debates between Christians and Muslims, Christians and Buddhists, Christians and Hindus and Christians and pagans. It might help you to become a stronger Christian or on the other hand it might cause you to think the atheists, Muslims, Buddhist, Hindus or pagans are right.

Books/talks by Rob Bell, Rachel Held Evans or Sarah Bessey might help you keep your faith. They've been a great comfort to me in this period of doubt. There are some Christians who considered such authors to be heretics but personally I think they're people who've tried reconcile their intellect with their faith.

I wish you all the best and would pray for you but I don't pray that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden State)
    I believe that there are three planes of existence: physical, metaphysical, and spiritual.
    Any proof?

The spiritual existence is based on vibrational frequencies, and relates to channeling different kinds of energies.
    I'm guessing that you're not a Physicist - that makes zero sense.

The metaphysical existence goes beyond the laws of physics, as it transcends our Universe, and is not constrained by time.
    Physics can exist without time.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate to a lot of what you're feeling.

(Original post by lowza)
    One of the reasons is that I've stopped attending church and now, because its been so long, I feel nervous to go back. I'm not entirely sure its the right place for me, some of the sermons and practices haven't fit right in my mind and I'm starting to see my beliefs as more individual than collective.
    It's very true that it's hard to be religious, especially newly so, in isolation. Religion is really a social activity at its core. But if your local church preaches things you have a problem with you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I would suggest, though, that it's normal to disagree with some of the things preached or believed by others. If you don't, you're either not paying attention, or you're mindlessly following the crowd. It's regular occurrence that I sit in a sermon thinking "this is probably nonsense". Sadly, churches don't like to be ecumenical, and intentionally or not tend to only present "their" version of Christianity. I often think that most people in the congregation might well be thinking the same thing but we never know because you don't get a chance to discuss or debate it.

You will have much more control over this when you leave home and can choose where you worship. In the meantime, focus on the core beliefs which really define a Christian - your attitude to God and Jesus.

(Original post by the bear)
    i am a Roman Catholic. i really love the four gospels which tell how Our Lord went around Israel doing amazing things. i am completely turned off by the rest of the New Testament... St Paul is such an annoying person, yet we are supposed to admire his intensely dull letters to all and sundry in the Near East.
    Hehe. I can relate to this as well. And don't lets get started on the Old Testament. Some amazing stories, a lot of dull as dishwater history, and quite a lot of downright craziness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Any proof?

I'm guessing that you're not a Physicist - that makes zero sense.

Physics can exist without time.
    It sure can. I'm not denying that. I've never claimed that my beliefs are the unadulterated truth. They are subject to change. It's just how I interpret the world around us. I believe that there is a greater power, and that we all have a purpose in life.

I am still trying to connect the dots, and I concede that I am not that knowledgable on physics or science. But, I am trying to read into it.

That being said, I don't see how physics or science for that matter is incompatible with the idea of a higher power (or God).

ReputationRep:
    I believe that there is a greater power, and that we all have a purpose in life.
    Why do you believe this?

I am still trying to connect the dots, and I concede that I am not that knowledgable on physics or science. But, I am trying to read into it.

That being said, I don't see how physics or science for that matter is incompatible with the idea of a higher power (or God).
    Scientists are less likely to be religious than the general population. IMO, religion started as an attempt to claim an understanding of reality. As we understand the universe better, through science, I see less of a place for it. There are some scientists who are religious, but it does cause them internal conflict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Why do you believe this?

Scientists are less likely to be religious than the general population. IMO, religion started as an attempt to claim an understanding of reality. As we understand the universe better, through science, I see less of a place for it. There are some scientists who are religious, but it does cause them internal conflict.
    I have been an Atheist for a large part of my life, but I have been slowly gravitating towards the idea of a higher power. I don't believe that we are on this planet as a coincidence, or through sheer chance. I believe that there's something much greater at play.

I can give you a greater explanation, but it will take some time, and I'm still trying to figure things out for myself.

ReputationRep:
    listen to Twenty One Pilots they have a lot of Christian imagery and religious meaning behind most of their songs. A lot are about doubt in God and crying out to Him. It has helped me with my struggles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm going into Year 13 in September, so still another year until university. I'm really excited for that though, mostly at the prospect of being able to join a CU and being able to have more support with people similar to my age. I live about 3 miles away from the town I go to church in (there's only one in my village, I tried it; very traditional, mostly old women, very friendly but not my cup of tea) and I go with my friend whose parents drive us. Although there is a couple of other churches in that town, I can't really go to them because I rely on her to take me and they don't want to change church and my parents certainly don't want me to go to any of them!

There are a lot of aspects of my church I love, its really accepting (unless you're gay - I'm not but a couple of grossly homophobic preachers have rubbed me up the wrong way), very casual, lots of emphasis on tangible experience with God and the ability to help with mission work etc. However, their strong view points on the aforementioned queerness, euthanasia, physical powers of preachers and other touchy subjects, I haven't always agreed with. This was one of the reasons I stopped attending and now its been so long, I do feel so nervous to return! I think that is one thing I do just have to get over and go. Because I don't have religious support at home, I do need it somewhere and I know that in a year or so time I'll be at uni in a different city and, hopefully, will find the church for me.

Bible wise, its not necessarily the scripture or teachings of the bible that frustrate me - but thank you so much for your willingness to help me on that. I think, because I have somehow amassed this anger against God, I don't like reading His word. A stupid analogy, but its like having an argument with a friend which makes you angry seeing any texts or messages from them. I also don't really feel anything when I read them anymore. Beforehand, when my faith was strong, I'd read the bible and feel a connection and a desire to read on but now I feel nothing.
    I wonder if the Quakers/Society of Friends would offer a space that fits your needs? They are very accepting, dogma-free and socially active - "questioning" and "wondering" is kind of what they do. (I say this as an atheist with Quaker friends).
    https://www.quaker.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I believe that we are connected to God.

I believe that there are three planes of existence: physical, metaphysical, and spiritual. The physical existence is constrained by the laws of physics. The spiritual existence is based on vibrational frequencies, and relates to channeling different kinds of energies. The metaphysical existence goes beyond the laws of physics, as it transcends our Universe, and is not constrained by time.
    This is true. You have to be a fool to think you can scientifically disprove something that transcends science. These atheists are always asking 'Where's the scientific evidence?'. Lol. That would totally defeat the point of faith anyway, with life most probably being a test of faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Hi guys, so I became a Christian (previously atheist/agnostic) about a year ago. It was, without a doubt, the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am so, so grateful for God's influence in my life. However, I have been struggling an awful lot over the past few months and I'm looking for some guidance really.

I'm sort of at a loss with faith. After a couple of weeks I usually feel such a strong urge that either He's there or that I need to come back to the right path but that hasn't happened this time. I started losing faith (I hate using that term but I can't think of any other way to describe it right now) about 3 or 4 months ago and its just not really come back.

I still believe in Him, I regularly reread my testimony to try and inspire those feelings I had when I first became Christian but nothing comes back. One of the reasons is that I've stopped attending church and now, because its been so long, I feel nervous to go back. I'm not entirely sure its the right place for me, some of the sermons and practices haven't fit right in my mind and I'm starting to see my beliefs as more individual than collective. Despite my disagreements, I do think I need to go back to some place of worship as it is affecting me. Secondly, I'm the only non-atheist in my family so I can't go to the people I'm closest with for guidance because they actively try to discourage my faith. It's definitely hard to keep up a strong belief when you feel kind of isolated and there's no-one to physically pull you back.

I haven't read my bible in ages as I've felt this strange anger towards it and sometimes its immensity stresses me out and I'm struggling to connect with my one Christian friend because we're at such different points in our journey with faith. The times I've tried to just pray or listen to hymns etc I only get frustrated and I don't have a pastor or a strong, non-judging figure of faith I can talk to and I feel like I have all this pent up upset that I can neither control or let out.

I'm looking mostly for responses from other Christians but feel free to share your own other faith experience.
    Hi,

This was written over 4 weeks ago so I hope my response is still of help. I've read your comment and, in some parts, I identify with it. There are times where I've seen myself almost "loosing my faith", but somehow I don't fall aside completely. And hey, I'm a student, I work and in the church, I preach as well as I'm the youth pastor. Yes, periods of "loosing my faith" still happened to me!

The first thing you should do is for find a Bible-believing Church and attend. This should be a matter of urgency for you. I'm not going to inundate you with Bible verses that stresses this, but remember, iron sharpens irons. If you do not get yourself "sharpened", naturally you will get blunt. Same as a coal of fire, a coal of fire gets cold when it leaves other red-hot coals. I remember when I was in high school, it was the competition of brilliant students that kept me on my toes and switched on. We learn from others. You need the company of fellow believers to help in getting you back to your feet.

I know you have mentioned that your prayer-life is not as brilliant as it could be, but it could be revived. Many Christians see prayer as some difficult task, especially when they see other Christians who probably pray hours and hours. This isn't the case. Prayer is simply communicating with God. Have you ever, in your quiet place, spoken to God and told Him everything you wrote up here? Believe me, He will hear if you pray with sincerity in your heart and pray in Jesus Name. I've tried it and it's worked— in 2013, at the edge of depression and suicidal thoughts (yes, I was still a 'strong' Christian going through all that, no one noticed), I prayed a simple prayer that ended with, "God, if you are my Father and can hear me, please help me...". He heard me because, I'm typing this to you today and I'm not something else. Please pray and engage in a simple prayer. I'll be praying for you, you can count on that.

I must congratulate you for being a Christian in the midst of staunch atheists family! You seem to have some inbuilt toughness which is admirable. However, to continue in the Christian life and race, you need more than hunan toughness. You need the grace of God, you need the Holy Spirit. Ever prayed specifically for the grace of God and the Holy Spirit? Please do. He will hear and answer.

However, please do what you used to be doing. Remember your testimony. Go on YouTube and find the testimonies of others. Read the Bible too— when drifting, I try to read about David, Samson, Elijah, real characters that I can connect to. Perhaps you can try that? Just start? Lines by lines, verses by verses, slowly.

I hope this helps! You can reply me if you need any more help. God bless you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro)
    This is true. You have to be a fool to think you can scientifically disprove something that transcends science. These atheists are always asking 'Where's the scientific evidence?'. Lol. That would totally defeat the point of faith anyway, with life most probably being a test of faith.
    Well, I believe that we are all being tested by God, and I don't believe in Hell or eternal punishment. I believe in reincarnation and achieving a higher status of being, kind of like the concept of Nirvana in Buddhism. I like the Christian religion, but I think there are many paths to the truth, and I don't believe that believe we are going to be punished for eternity.

I believe it's more important to live a virtuous life, and to live in harmony with one another.

ReputationRep:
    Michael Stype couldn't save Kurt Cobain, or his religion

ReputationRep:
    WOW. I've just come back to this post I made, well over a month ago, not realising how many replies I've had! I've just got a couple things to say;

1. Thank you SO much for everyones replies. I'm amazed at how caring and resourceful the faith community is on this website - although I haven't replied to all (I've tried to rep most!) - I really appreciate everything and I've taken so much into my personal journey eg. bought a few faith books to read, listened to some podcasts, praying and bibling more.
    2. I appreciate that discussions about the truth of Christianity are interesting, but that was very much not what I intended the post to be for, so if you'd like to carry on that conversation (especially those who jumped on just to tell me that my faith was wrong) I'm sure there is another thread for it.

Little update on my current situation. I am in a MUCH better place now. I recently went back to Soul Survivor (camp thing, where my entire life changed and I became a Christian for those who asked about my testimony) and it honestly was the best booster shot. To be surrounded by people, my age, so passionate about Jesus was just incredible and a lot of the seminars were very helpful for my doubts and worries. I should be back at church next week, it's not perfect but it's what I have and church is better than no church right now. I'm looking forward to University next year when I can find a church I love and not have the strains of being in an atheist household.

Thank you everyone, God bless X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    WOW. I've just come back to this post I made, well over a month ago, not realising how many replies I've had! I've just got a couple things to say;

1. Thank you SO much for everyones replies. I'm amazed at how caring and resourceful the faith community is on this website - although I haven't replied to all (I've tried to rep most!) - I really appreciate everything and I've taken so much into my personal journey eg. bought a few faith books to read, listened to some podcasts, praying and bibling more.
    2. I appreciate that discussions about the truth of Christianity are interesting, but that was very much not what I intended the post to be for, so if you'd like to carry on that conversation (especially those who jumped on just to tell me that my faith was wrong) I'm sure there is another thread for it.

Little update on my current situation. I am in a MUCH better place now. I recently went back to Soul Survivor (camp thing, where my entire life changed and I became a Christian for those who asked about my testimony) and it honestly was the best booster shot. To be surrounded by people, my age, so passionate about Jesus was just incredible and a lot of the seminars were very helpful for my doubts and worries. I should be back at church next week, it's not perfect but it's what I have and church is better than no church right now. I'm looking forward to University next year when I can find a church I love and not have the strains of being in an atheist household.

Thank you everyone, God bless X
    This is brilliant news. Glad to hear this. I'll be praying for you and God bless you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Hey,

Sorry to read of what you've been going through: sounds quite tough and like you are kinda troubled by it. It must be very hard being the only non-atheist in your family and not having many non-judgmental people who you can talk to about this

I'm wondering whether there are other churches in your area that you might be able to consider trying out? Kinda like church-shopping/church-hopping?! Do you mind me asking how old you are and whether you're at uni or not? Unis often have different religious societies and joining one of those (if you're at uni) might help you a bit? It can certainly be nervewracking to go back to church if you haven't been in a while - I often find that too (I'm Roman Catholic and rarely attend church, as religious buildings are a trigger for my psychosis)

Can you pinpoint what it is about reading the Bible that angers/frustrates/upsets you? Are you having doubts about particular sections of the Bible, or teachings? Maybe if you could share some of it here, we can try and help you grapple with your feelings :yes:

:hugs:
    Read a book by a Richard Dawkins
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt128)
    Read a book by a Richard Dawkins
    Tried that, found it hilarious and didn't bother finishing

(Original post by lowza)
    Hi guys, so I became a Christian (previously atheist/agnostic) about a year ago. It was, without a doubt, the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am so, so grateful for God's influence in my life. However, I have been struggling an awful lot over the past few months and I'm looking for some guidance really.

I'm sort of at a loss with faith. After a couple of weeks I usually feel such a strong urge that either He's there or that I need to come back to the right path but that hasn't happened this time. I started losing faith (I hate using that term but I can't think of any other way to describe it right now) about 3 or 4 months ago and its just not really come back.

I still believe in Him, I regularly reread my testimony to try and inspire those feelings I had when I first became Christian but nothing comes back. One of the reasons is that I've stopped attending church and now, because its been so long, I feel nervous to go back. I'm not entirely sure its the right place for me, some of the sermons and practices haven't fit right in my mind and I'm starting to see my beliefs as more individual than collective. Despite my disagreements, I do think I need to go back to some place of worship as it is affecting me. Secondly, I'm the only non-atheist in my family so I can't go to the people I'm closest with for guidance because they actively try to discourage my faith. It's definitely hard to keep up a strong belief when you feel kind of isolated and there's no-one to physically pull you back.

I haven't read my bible in ages as I've felt this strange anger towards it and sometimes its immensity stresses me out and I'm struggling to connect with my one Christian friend because we're at such different points in our journey with faith. The times I've tried to just pray or listen to hymns etc I only get frustrated and I don't have a pastor or a strong, non-judging figure of faith I can talk to and I feel like I have all this pent up upset that I can neither control or let out.

I'm looking mostly for responses from other Christians but feel free to share your own other faith experience.
    Hey,

Trust me, you are not alone. Most Christians feel like this at least once in their journey of faith. But the thing to remember is that God NEVER leaves you no matter what. These doubts are given by the devil to make us question our beliefs. I would strongly urge you to keep going to a church, because there you can find people like you to support you and talk to you.

Also, try to find an Alpha course near you. Sometimes we just need to be reminded of the basics to span that flame back to life. If you are at College or Uni, most of them have a Christian union to find people that share the same faith as you so I would definitely encourage that. And (finally xD) I would read the Bible. If something in you is preventing you from doing so, that is EXACTLY when you need to pick it up and just read through it. Listen to worship songs or online sermons and you will find that God will say something through it all.

If you have any more questions or anything just pm me ^.^

God bless

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm a Catholic. If you feel the need to go to church, go there. If you don't agree with your priest or pastor, don't worry. This doesn't make you a worse Christian. For example, I don't agree with the priests when it comes to abortion ban (like many Christians in my country). I just want to be close to Jesus, I listen to Christian music, it makes me happier. Plus, I'm also devoted to traditions like Easter and Christmas. I love these celebrations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)

Hey there! I have been through a similar situation to you, but I'm reminded that Christianity is not a one moment thing where you are saved and it's over. We are daily being transformed more and more like Christ. My advice to you would be to pray before you read the bible and ask God to help you understand his word, and you will surely understand it. As far as going back to church, you should definetly go. They should be welcoming but if they're not it's probably not the right church. Find friends that are likeminded and share your faith and build off one another and just trust God and he will take you through.
    Read and confess Psalm 51:12. God bless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)

hey, definitely the not reading your bible part is affecting you. Tbh the not going to church is less important but since you're a new christian it's definitely advisable.

Just pick up your bible and slowly read through it and meditate on the word. can i ask you what type of christian you are? because you said you've been listening to hymns, but i strongly advice some good gospel music. I am just starting to read my bible and be serious, i grew up in the church, please keep trying that's literally what i'm doing now. Spending more time with God it will change your life around, just talk to him don't think too much about formal prayer and what not, God said seek and you will definitely find, don't give up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.