Turn on thread page Beta

Struggling with my Christian faith. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Hi guys, so I became a Christian (previously atheist/agnostic) about a year ago. It was, without a doubt, the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am so, so grateful for God's influence in my life. However, I have been struggling an awful lot over the past few months and I'm looking for some guidance really.

I'm sort of at a loss with faith. After a couple of weeks I usually feel such a strong urge that either He's there or that I need to come back to the right path but that hasn't happened this time. I started losing faith (I hate using that term but I can't think of any other way to describe it right now) about 3 or 4 months ago and its just not really come back.

I still believe in Him, I regularly reread my testimony to try and inspire those feelings I had when I first became Christian but nothing comes back. One of the reasons is that I've stopped attending church and now, because its been so long, I feel nervous to go back. I'm not entirely sure its the right place for me, some of the sermons and practices haven't fit right in my mind and I'm starting to see my beliefs as more individual than collective. Despite my disagreements, I do think I need to go back to some place of worship as it is affecting me. Secondly, I'm the only non-atheist in my family so I can't go to the people I'm closest with for guidance because they actively try to discourage my faith. It's definitely hard to keep up a strong belief when you feel kind of isolated and there's no-one to physically pull you back.

I haven't read my bible in ages as I've felt this strange anger towards it and sometimes its immensity stresses me out and I'm struggling to connect with my one Christian friend because we're at such different points in our journey with faith. The times I've tried to just pray or listen to hymns etc I only get frustrated and I don't have a pastor or a strong, non-judging figure of faith I can talk to and I feel like I have all this pent up upset that I can neither control or let out.

I'm looking mostly for responses from other Christians but feel free to share your own other faith experience.
    I'm not a person of faith but my Grandad was so I'll give you some advice.

The old ******* never went to church because he didn't need to, churches aren't needed to believe in God, you only need your own belief in him and enjoy your life while being kind and helpful to your fellow men, that is all God ever asks of you.

You feel like you need to go to church, to read the bible all the time and have to do this or that but you don't, you are pressuring yourself too much over something God wouldn't ask you to do, do you honestly think God wants you to constantly worship him day in and out? No God doesn't.

My Grandad lived the life he wanted and always held God in his heart, he even had a tattoo of Jesus on his chest to show his faith. The point is all you have to do is keep those lessons in your mind and keep your belief in God, you are not required to do anything more than be kind to your fellow men and enjoy life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Hi guys, so I became a Christian (previously atheist/agnostic) about a year ago. It was, without a doubt, the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am so, so grateful for God's influence in my life. However, I have been struggling an awful lot over the past few months and I'm looking for some guidance really.

I'm sort of at a loss with faith. After a couple of weeks I usually feel such a strong urge that either He's there or that I need to come back to the right path but that hasn't happened this time. I started losing faith (I hate using that term but I can't think of any other way to describe it right now) about 3 or 4 months ago and its just not really come back.

I still believe in Him, I regularly reread my testimony to try and inspire those feelings I had when I first became Christian but nothing comes back. One of the reasons is that I've stopped attending church and now, because its been so long, I feel nervous to go back. I'm not entirely sure its the right place for me, some of the sermons and practices haven't fit right in my mind and I'm starting to see my beliefs as more individual than collective. Despite my disagreements, I do think I need to go back to some place of worship as it is affecting me. Secondly, I'm the only non-atheist in my family so I can't go to the people I'm closest with for guidance because they actively try to discourage my faith. It's definitely hard to keep up a strong belief when you feel kind of isolated and there's no-one to physically pull you back.

I haven't read my bible in ages as I've felt this strange anger towards it and sometimes its immensity stresses me out and I'm struggling to connect with my one Christian friend because we're at such different points in our journey with faith. The times I've tried to just pray or listen to hymns etc I only get frustrated and I don't have a pastor or a strong, non-judging figure of faith I can talk to and I feel like I have all this pent up upset that I can neither control or let out.

I'm looking mostly for responses from other Christians but feel free to share your own other faith experience.

Are you born again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)

Do you have a chaplaincy at your uni? You might be able to arrange a meeting, and speak with them privately.
    Don't worry, this happens to me too (I'm from a Catholic background, but I'm kind of agnostic and somewhat interfaith as an adult) and I'm sure it happens to all of us who are on the spiritual path. The world can be overwhelming sometimes.
    You might find Doreen Virtue's new book Mornings With the Lord helpful. She had an experience with Jesus recently, and she has a wonderful You Tube video series which she puts out on a weekly basis called Heart to Heart which may help you in your darker times.
    Much love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)

Hey there,

I'd like to share with you some words of encouragement. I know this is a bit late, but I hope you're still doing okay. I am also a Christian who wasn't raised from a Christian family.

Warning: some things I say may be harsh, but they are also truth (read the bible if you don't believe the things I say, and confirm it for yourself)

First, I'm going to flat out tell you that if you don't read the bible and if you have lost motivation, then clearly you lack desire for God. If you lack desire to know God or to keep up with your relationship with him (like how you see your friends everyday), then do not be afraid to pray and ask God to help you. If he is a God who is all powerful, who can split oceans in half (exactly as he did for Moses), why wouldn't you ask him for one simple thing? To help you regain that desire to connect with him? And if you do gain that connection back and you're afraid of losing it again, then ask him to help you to not lose it again and to help you to keep staying connected. But to do that, know that God will not keep spoon-feeding you forever. You have to be the one to try. Put in some effort. Do something about it. Search out your heart. Ask questions and look for answers. Now here's my response to your situation in regards to your faith.

I know that your journey with God can be dry at times. You may start to lose a sense of the real reason why you have faith in Christianity. So here's a reminder. Christianity is based on the fact that Jesus was crucified, buried, and resurrected from his death 3 days thereafter. Why am I telling you something that many Christians probably already know? Because at an earlier stage of my christian life I had faith without really knowing why I had faith in the first place. For me, it was like blind faith, blindly following Jesus just because I believed in his testimonies as the truth. What I found out later on, in my journey with God, is that faith is not blind faith at all. Faith is something you believe in that gives you reason to believe in it. In other words, there are actual reasons to believe where Christianity came from and why it's actually true. When there's a fact, there must be evidence to support it to be a fact. If the testimony of Jesus is a fact, then where's the evidence for it? There are thousands of manuscripts on the testimony of Jesus's crucifixion, burial, and resurrection written by many different people that are still existing up to date. If you want to know all the evidences and the exact numbers, here's an article that gives details: https://jamesbishopblog.com/2016/09/...-resurrection/

Now again, why I am I telling you about these evidences? If we are questioned by any non-believers regarding why we believe in Christianity, you must be prepared to give an answer. 1 Peter 3:15, “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...” As you can tell, we are called to be prepared for having actual reasons for our faith in Jesus. If your faith is lacking, then you obviously won't have a great reason to explain to others why you believe in God. If you want to know more, it's called Christian Apologetics https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-apologetics.html I know a really great christian apologist who speaks on quite a few of the biggest questions one might ask about God. Here's one of his videos about why evil exists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZEHAiOMho4 really fun to watch!

If your journey with God is dry right now, search your heart out and think about where your faith in God comes from and what are you supposed to do each day once you actually know why you believe in him. If you don't know how to live your daily life as a christian, here's a hint: Be more like Christ. There is a quote on that if you didn't know (if you're curious, search for it). Being more like Christ can give you a vague idea. So here's what that really means- treat others how you would want to be treated. Love other people like how you would want to be loved. Be holy because God is holy. God is sinless, so therefore be without sin just like God. Obviously, we're not perfect so we're going to make mistakes, but just don't repeat the same ones! In regards to how you live each day as a christian, all you have to do is avoid sin and to be more like Jesus and treat others with love how you would want to be treated. But know that being a follower of Jesus is not easy. Jesus was persecuted. He went through sufferings.. people didn't believe in his truth, they made fun of him, and they even killed him! Be ready to go through persecution as a christian. The apostles died for Jesus. You may or may not die in this life time like how those christians died brutal deaths in the old days. But seeing that it is almost near the end of time, almost the time of Jesus's 2nd coming, we may actually die of persecution. I am not saying I know when the 2nd coming of Jesus is, because he says no one knows the day and the hour he will come except God. I am just telling you that it is quite possible that we are living in the last days because there are signs for his 2nd coming and one or more of these signs are starting to become fulfilled as prophesied. I don't know if these signs are truly fulfilled or not, if you're curious, ask God for full knowledge on that. This article explains more about the end times https://www.bible-knowledge.com/end-...ents-overview/ The apostles died for Jesus because they actually believed that the testimony of Jesus is true (all they had to do to live and be free from a death sentence was to deny that Jesus didn't resurrect, but they told the truth and as a result died for him). But don't be afraid, if you ask, God will definitely give you the courage to fight through anything in this life. Know your faith and know where you stand in your relationship with Jesus.

Here's an inspirational reason to continue your growth in God: In Romans 8:17 Paul says, “Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.” If we are children, then we are heirs.. We will have eternal life, and we will have heaven for eternity as well.. Imagine that... you can go anywhere you want in the world. Vacation anywhere you want, for an eternity. Personally, I'd love to visit any mountains or islands lol for as long as I want!. That's a huge motivation. If you know that you are saved by faith in Jesus and that you will receive the gift of eternal life, why wouldn't you be motivated to grow more as a Christian? To increase your knowledge of God? To grow spiritually mature?

Here's the big take away out of all this: Instead of worrying about your faith drying out, worry about how to bring that faith back. If you're worrying about your distance from God, then worry about how to close that distance and be with God again! If there's a worry, then find a solution! And remember, if you're sincere about seeking answers and help, ask God who sees your heart for help, and he's more than willing to meet you halfway

As for your christian friend, he or she may or may not be an actual real follower of Jesus. But either way, don't rely on your friend for your growth as a Christian (but also encourage her daily). It is your responsibility to decide what you do with your life. The sad thing is that God will give knowledge of the gospel to everyone, but not everyone chooses to live the way that is taught from Jesus's message. He doesn't force you to follow him because you have free will. It's up to you on what you end up choosing to do with your life. I know you're just confused in your journey with God right now, but you clearly asked for help here, so here it is!

Also, beware that not all church goers are true believers in God. Not even some pastors.. they might preach what sounds right, but some might even preach the wrong message and mislead a lot of people. I'd say just read your bible, know the truth, and you'll be able to tell whether someone is telling a lie, because you will know if it sounds biblical. Also not everyone at church talks about the last days on earth... it's an important topic and that's why I suggest you do your own bible research and know your things because you won't learn everything from a church pastor. You mostly learn from your own reading and time spent with the Lord.

There are so many things I want to tell you... like the 2nd coming of Jesus, but you will figure things out on your own with the help of God
    Remember, you do the watering (gaining knowledge) and God does the growing! (analogy of watering the plants)

I hope this really helps,

Take care and God bless you

(Wow, I read your last post, and I'm glad you're doing much better Seriously, keep it up!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.