Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will reading books make me SMARTER, 100%? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Focused reading, yeah. I've seen 2 many people who don't really know why they're reading something. Which is fair enough if you read something like HP (even then tbh)

But if you want to read, say, Dostoevsky, you gotta know where he was coming from, what he wanted to achieve in writing the book, etc, etc. Otherwise, he won't make a lot of sense to you and you will miss important bits of the story.

Non-fiction is even worse. If you just want to read a book about, say, Byzantine history but don't really know anything about it, it better be history for utter noobs. If it's not, if it's a serious, scholarly attempt, you will miss a lot because you won't know why he's emphasising certain periods or certain events or w/e 'cos you don't know the literature he's trying to respond to or was influenced by. He'll cite a **** ton of authors you never heard of and aren't familiar with their arguments. So you will end up confused and annoyed.

To sum up: reading, really reading, is difficult. Just cracking a book open and flicking pages won't do a lot of good to you unless you're an uber genius who can recreate entire fields of scholarship in their mind as they read a book. John von Neumann was probably that guy but I'm gonna guess you aren't like him.

ReputationRep:
    Not every book improves vocab

what about picturebooks

what about colouringbooks

be specific fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth_H)
    People do tend to compare books to politics when those books are political allegories.
    We aren't talking about The Prince though. It's Harry Potter -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    We aren't talking about The Prince though. It's Harry Potter -.-
    Which is, in the words of its author, a political allegory nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth_H)
    Which is, in the words of its author, a political allegory nonetheless.
    *Harry attacks a death eater*

"So much for the tolerant left!"

Spoiler:
    Show

Am I doing this right?

ReputationRep:
    As Tai Lopez would say... your books are your mentors. KNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWLEDGE

I summarize each chapter after I read it so I know whats happening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
    Focused reading, yeah. I've seen 2 many people who don't really know why they're reading something. Which is fair enough if you read something like HP (even then tbh)

But if you want to read, say, Dostoevsky, you gotta know where he was coming from, what he wanted to achieve in writing the book, etc, etc. Otherwise, he won't make a lot of sense to you and you will miss important bits of the story.

Non-fiction is even worse. If you just want to read a book about, say, Byzantine history but don't really know anything about it, it better be history for utter noobs. If it's not, if it's a serious, scholarly attempt, you will miss a lot because you won't know why he's emphasising certain periods or certain events or w/e 'cos you don't know the literature he's trying to respond to or was influenced by. He'll cite a **** ton of authors you never heard of and aren't familiar with their arguments. So you will end up confused and annoyed.

To sum up: reading, really reading, is difficult. Just cracking a book open and flicking pages won't do a lot of good to you unless you're an uber genius who can recreate entire fields of scholarship in their mind as they read a book. John von Neumann was probably that guy but I'm gonna guess you aren't like him.
    -unveils mask. HELLO, IT'S MEeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    Yes, differentiate yourself from the ignorant masses by only reading political biographies and philosophy. Fiction should not be read by the well educated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.