Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, currently studying A2. My predicted results are A*A*AA. Initially I wanted to do medicine but after months of self examination, I've discovered that medicine isn't really for me. The stress and work load isn't for me. I think the only reason why I wanted med is because of my teachers always believing that I'll be a doctor some day ( African society stereotype ). Honestly, I love researching, biology, chemistry , forensics and discovering new things, diseases, cures and better ways of improving health . I'm more into science than medicine. So is studying biochemistry or natural sciences good for me? If so, which U.K universities would you recommend.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Both are relevant - typically in a NatSci course, if these are your areas of interest, you would probably focus on Chemistry and Biology anyway - most likely biologically relevant areas of chemistry, and molecularly oriented areas of biology. A Biochemistry degree would also cover these topics to varying extents.

You wouldn't even necessarily need to choose between the two - many, if not most, applicants to Cambridge Nat Sci are applying to at least some single-subject programmes, and it's perfectly possible to craft a personal statement expressing an interest in both areas and specifically the unified use of both of them in the study of biomedically relevant sciences.

You may also wish to consider Biomedical Sciences - while often viewed as a "pre-graduate entry medicine" course, it is a qualification in its own right which can prepare for a research career in clinical or basic biomolecular sciences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.