Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone just getting a maintenance loan just for going out, booze and clothes? Because I've got everything else sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua105)
    Is anyone just getting a maintenance loan just for going out, booze and clothes? Because I've got everything else sorted.
    No I got it to pay rent combined with my scholarship as it alone was not enough, so now I just need food to pay for

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that is tax payer's money, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    You do realise that is tax payer's money, right?
    Yes. The maintenance is for living expenses and that's what I'm using it for. I might of exaggerated a little.

ReputationRep:
    If you genuinely don't need the maintenance loan, or atleast not all of it, then you would be better off not taking it all as you will have to eventually pay it back with interest.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with VMD100, unless you invest it and that might make more than you have to pay back!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VMD100)
    If you genuinely don't need the maintenance loan, or atleast not all of it, then you would be better off not taking it all as you will have to eventually pay it back with interest.
    A graduate has to get a damn well paying job in order to pay their total loan off before it's written off. It's the lowest interest loan any student will get for a long long time, if at all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    Agree with VMD100, unless you invest it and that might make more than you have to pay back!
    Unlikely; no one offers interest rates so high on savings, so unless you get lucky playing stocks, there's no chance.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea why they give you so much, I have about 5k spare each year. I initially thought it was for people in london but apparently they get even more!

Probably going to use it as a deposit for a house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordofbutthurt)
    I have no idea why they give you so much, I have about 5k spare each year. I initially thought it was for people in london but apparently they get even more!

Probably going to use it as a deposit for a house.
    Count your self lucky, I didn't get anywhere near enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John10101)
    Count your self lucky, I didn't get anywhere near enough.
    I'd take rich family over maintenance loan tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna be going into second year and will be getting the max loan again but I honestly don't need he money cause I have thousands in the bank and also a part time job at uni so I'm never short of cash and so yeh if I'm honest my loan money is mostly used to have fun and buy things that I want as opposed to paying for stuff like rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Unlikely; no one offers interest rates so high on savings, so unless you get lucky playing stocks, there's no chance.
    Stocks really aren't too hard! You just have to keep up with who is doing well and invest accordingly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Stocks really aren't too hard! You just have to keep up with who is doing well and invest accordingly.
    And risk losing thousands, sure.

ReputationRep:
    And risk losing thousands, sure.
    So you spread it across lots of companies because it's a very small likelihood that they will all go downhill at once. I completely agree that you have to be prepared for it to go down, but if you are careful you can make things work in your favour. Start small until you get the hang of it, even pay an advisor to do the work for you and they will guarantee a certain gain which is worth the fee.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So you spread it across lots of companies because it's a very small likelihood that they will all go downhill at once. I completely agree that you have to be prepared for it to go down, but if you are careful you can make things work in your favour. Start small until you get the hang of it, even pay an advisor to do the work for you and they will guarantee a certain gain which is worth the fee.
    A return higher than 6.1% cannot be guaranteed - it is not financially sensible to invest a god damn maintenance loan in the stock market!

ReputationRep:
    A return higher than 6.1% cannot be guaranteed - it is not financially sensible to invest a god damn maintenance loan in the stock market!
    Nothing can be guaranteed. I just suggested to OP what I would do with it if I had it spare (actually what my Dad suggested to me and he manages my shares for me).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nothing can be guaranteed. I just suggested to OP what I would do with it if I had it spare (actually what my Dad suggested to me and he manages my shares for me).
    Sure hope you're getting a return above the interest you're paying!

ReputationRep:
    Sure hope you're getting a return above the interest you're paying!
    It depends how long you invest for as well; over 8 years my investments have increased by around 50%.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It depends how long you invest for as well; over 8 years my investments have increased by around 50%.
    That's 6.25% a year.. meaning you're getting a return of 0.15% after you account for the SLC interest charges (at current rate)....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.