Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mitigating Circumstances App - is my doctors letter sufficient enough to be accepted? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm applying for mitigating circumstances to hopefully get a year of funding back. I went to the Doctors to get a letter, and I'm slightly worried because it doesn't actually explain how it has impacted my performance or anything. Here it is anyway:

'X has been suffering from Anxiety and Depression which has worsened since February 2016. He has been seen regularly by me and my GP colleagues for his Depression over this period of time. X has been prescribed various antidepressents which have not helped. He is not on any medication at present and has felt an improvement in the last couple of months.'

'In terms of his mental health, X has decided to leave his current course at Y. He will be reconsidering his options.'

'I strongly support Jack's decision and I will be happy to discuss his return to his studies when he feels he is ready to start again.'

As you can see, it's pretty vague and isn't really describing how its impacting my studies, apart from saying it is 'worse'.

Thoughts?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Dr_Zoidwell)
    Hi all, I'm applying for mitigating circumstances to hopefully get a year of funding back. I went to the Doctors to get a letter, and I'm slightly worried because it doesn't actually explain how it has impacted my performance or anything. Here it is anyway:

'X has been suffering from Anxiety and Depression which has worsened since February 2016. He has been seen regularly by me and my GP colleagues for his Depression over this period of time. X has been prescribed various antidepressents which have not helped. He is not on any medication at present and has felt an improvement in the last couple of months.'

'In terms of his mental health, X has decided to leave his current course at Y. He will be reconsidering his options.'

'I strongly support Jack's decision and I will be happy to discuss his return to his studies when he feels he is ready to start again.'

As you can see, it's pretty vague and isn't really describing how its impacting my studies, apart from saying it is 'worse'.

Thoughts?
    If you arent happy then you can get them to rewrite it, but they will charge you. You can suggest what you want them to say but they can only vouch for what they believe and know.
    You can contact SFE and in your application include the detail yourself about how it affected you.

They do say they strongly support your decision though, which is the most valuable piece of the letter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.