The Student Room Group

I can't write sentences properly.. PLEASE HELP ME!

I can't explain it but whenever I am writing sentences they do not look right. Everyone says my essays make no sense. Do I need to read books or.. ( I've never read more than 3 books in my whole life)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP Xd
Yes, you should read books.
Reply 3
Original post by Tian1Sky
Yes, you should read books.

recommend me some plz
Original post by JustDoIt!
recommend me some plz

Anything tbh, just read.
Reply 5
Anything tbh, just read.

ok, thanks!. also-why do we use commas? should i use a comma before or after the word BUT?
I can't explain it but whenever I am writing sentences they do not look right. Everyone says my essays make no sense. Do I need to read books or.. ( I've never read more than 3 books in my whole life)

Send me an example of your essay (it can be any) i might be able to help you i used to help my older sister correct her work i'm sort of good at that
Reply 7
Don't worry I'm useless at writing sentences too. I always end up writing excessively long sentences
ok, thanks!. also-why do we use commas? should i use a comma before or after the word BUT?

Before the word but. For example: "I initially thought your problem was not having read enough, but now I think you need basic grammar lessons badly."
Reply 9
Original post by fefssdf
Don't worry I'm useless at writing sentences too. I always end up writing excessively long sentences

atleast your sentences make sense, and in your feedback to essays you don't get them saying ' I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO SAY however it's as clear as mud' SCREAMS!!!!!
Literally just get reading! It doesn't matter if it's books, newspapers or magazines; they will all improve your grammar. Maybe when you do read, make a point of analysing the way a sentence is structured to teach yourself a little bit.
Reply 11
Original post by carrotstar
Literally just get reading! It doesn't matter if it's books, newspapers or magazines; they will all improve your grammar. Maybe when you do read, make a point of analysing the way a sentence is structured to teach yourself a little bit.

I do read a lot of online articles like the daily mail and the mirror but, my brain's more interested in the pictures.
atleast your sentences make sense, and in your feedback to essays you don't get them saying ' I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO SAY however it's as clear as mud' SCREAMS!!!!!

Hahahaha brilliant that's pretty bad lmao
I do read a lot of online articles like the daily mail and the mirror but, my brain's more interested in the pictures.

If you want to learn how to write proper sentences, please don't read tabloid articles. Read books.

Hey, don't worry. Just ask me if you need any help with English or punctuation or anything. I'll help you :smile:.
Reply 15
Original post by JMR2017
Hey, don't worry. Just ask me if you need any help with English or punctuation or anything. I'll help you :smile:.

can you tutor me on how to write <3

Sure :smile:
Reply 17
If you want to learn how to write proper sentences, please don't read tabloid articles. Read books.

yeahh, good advice. Daily mail has wrecked my brain! I guess i'm just looking for a quick fix but there's no such thing like that.

I think you need to be a little more specific about what it is that you struggle with - it's not all writing, as these posts make perfect sense. Is it just academic/extended writing? And is it punctuation, grammar, word choice or all of it?
Reply 19
Original post by JMR2017
Sure :smile:

;p.. gr8

Quick Reply

Latest