The Student Room Group

parents don't want me to study law, help?

Ive been considering both history and law at cambridge so far during year 12, but have finally decided after the open days etc, that it is law i want to do.

However, my parents are really against this, saying i won't enjoy it, and that they think many lawyers are immoral liars.

I know that at the end of the day, they'll let me apply for what i want, however i was wondering if anyone had any advice to convince them otherwise, or if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thank you all!!!
Original post by elizabethperroni
Ive been considering both history and law at cambridge so far during year 12, but have finally decided after the open days etc, that it is law i want to do.

However, my parents are really against this, saying i won't enjoy it, and that they think many lawyers are immoral liars.

I know that at the end of the day, they'll let me apply for what i want, however i was wondering if anyone had any advice to convince them otherwise, or if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thank you all!!!

Choose it of thats what you wish to do.

Tell your parents that law takes on all sorts and some people are of the highest integrity who use their position to stand up for people who need help but dont have the ability to defend themselves.

Your parents probably think about lawyers willing to defend certain criminals, but that is just professional duty, just as a Dr would treat them without question. Most lawyers do commercial work anyway.

What you can tell your parents si that no matter what they think of lawyers then they should know that you wouldnt become such a person as you have had the guidance from them to know how to behave and to recognise what is right and wrong.....
Do the law degree if that’s what you want to do. Don’t make the mistake of following a path someone else has set for you.
Hire a lawyer and sue the parents, then become the lawyer yourself.
YOU WIN, THEY LOSE!

Latest

Trending

Trending