Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hair question for black girls Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How are black girls managing to grow hair so fast these days. I seem to be missing a trick with my hair as I see loads of Facebook contacts cutting their hair then 12 months later it's up to their shoulders.

Personally I know that if I have braids for a couple of months, my hair does grow quickly, but then when I take them out and leave my hair out, the growth completely slows down.

What's spurring fast hair growth for other people? Do you think it's the hair care products they use or do you think consistently braiding hair is that does it?

ReputationRep:
    Take good care of your hair. Lots of moisture, moisture! If you need any help pls don't be afraid to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Take good care of your hair. Lots of moisture, moisture! If you need any help pls don't be afraid to ask.
    Thanks. actually, I do need to get a water spray bottle for my hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Thanks. actually, I do need to get a water spray bottle for my hair.
    Yeah, water, deep conditioners etc... Natural or relaxed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Yeah, water, deep conditioners etc... Natural or relaxed?
    Natural. I'd love to relax it but I've given up on relaxers. They were damaging my scalp. I've lost so many follicles through relaxing.

What deep conditioners would you recommend?

What sort of protective styling do you keep yours in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Natural. I'd love to relax it but I've given up on relaxers. They were damaging my scalp. I've lost so many follicles through relaxing.

What deep conditioners would you recommend?

What sort of protective styling do you keep yours in?
    I usually like homemade conditioners so like avacados, bananas and honey
    I am natural too. I wear mines out in a bun. I donwear wigs and weave sometimes touhh
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Mainly moisturizing hair, deep conditioning and protective styling, making sure the Protective styles (i.e Braids) are in for 2 months max to prevent matting and knotting.

Jamaican Castor Oil is a popular product used to grow hair, I've personally seen a significant difference to my hair using it, in fact my hair is longer than it has ever been now that Ive started using it tbh (Now up to the end of my neck)

I also make my own hair masks, I mix Egg, Mayo and oil in a bowl and just put it in my hair and leave it in for 30 minutes then wash it off after.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.