Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How important is skincare really? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I used to do the whole cleanse, tone and moisturise thing, as it seemed to be the thing to do in my late teens and early Twenties. Haven't bothered my a rse for years. I'm lucky that i have oily skin and although I will be 50 in November I have not one single wrinkle. For me I just use Simple soap, make sure it is thoroughly rinsed off, and that's it. If the weather is very cold I will put some moisturiser on my face just as a protective barrier. I also put moisturiser on the back of my hands too, as it's often just as good as any hand creme. But thoroughly washing then thoroughly rinsing your face [ with a final rinse in cold water to close the pores] is key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiewhitez10)
    I've always wondered about this and don't want to offend anyones current methods but how important is skincare?

By that I mean, why is it that women in particular seem so over the top with skincare whilst men (for the most part) are not, and in most circumstances men are the ones with naturally better skin?

I am a 20 year old female, that wears a little bit of makeup and I'm told regularly that I should be washing my face with certain makeup removers and then adding toners and moisturisers everyday and it all just seems so toxic? I tried it a few times and it just leaves my skin red or really, really dry, almost like each one is making me depend on the next step whereas if I just wash my face with warm water, or maybe a normal facial scrub with water it leaves my skin really nice and smooth?

I live with my partner and we have pretty much the same skincare routine, water or water with a normal face wash and that's it...Occasionally I'll put moisturiser on, that's if I'm not going to wear any makeup but otherwise I don't.

Do you think that the problem is more when girls wear a LOT of makeup and that's what's causing the bad skin, and they're also the ones that often talk about skincare routines and I'm just put off by that?

I've always had pretty good skin, and to be honest the only time that I've felt as though I've had 'bad skin' was when I started doing the whole 'skincare routine' thing...So my question is what's your opinion on it? and does anyone have the same opinion as me, because so far it seems to be a pretty unpopular one haha
    Honestly what causes bad skin varies, I had cystic acne not to long ago and that left a few scars on my face and it was honestly nothing to do with makeup.
    Like for some people oil production is higher and they can't afford to just wash their face with water and a cleanser, they have to use a scrub, a toner and a serum in order to keep the spots at bay. A good skincare routine helps but sometimes it can just be hormones or what you eat etc.
    The old tale that people that have bad skin "Don't wash their face" is a lie because some of these people wash their faces like crazy and yet see no improvement.
    For one of my friends the spot trigger was chocolate. I think some people like you are blessed with good skin and therefore don't have to do much to maintain it and then other people that have oily and spot prone skin have to do a lot more to maintain their skin because of their skin type.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    Yeah. Also diet can be a factor. I've started cutting sugar and drinking a lot more water and I feel even better. I only really started using products for my face since I grew out a beard and that needed cleaning too.

I get the occasional spot whenever I'm stressed but I just leave it.. I just might be quite lucky. I do feel for you though. Different things work for different people, but I'm a firm believer of less is more the case of skin care, generally speaking of course.
    It's always worse whenever I'm stressed or have a lot of sugar so I totally agree there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofswords)
    its ok
    Sorry that happened, wasn't really expecting those sort of questions to be asked to you in a health and beauty thread...You look great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I used to do the whole cleanse, tone and moisturise thing, as it seemed to be the thing to do in my late teens and early Twenties. Haven't bothered my a rse for years. I'm lucky that i have oily skin and although I will be 50 in November I have not one single wrinkle. For me I just use Simple soap, make sure it is thoroughly rinsed off, and that's it. If the weather is very cold I will put some moisturiser on my face just as a protective barrier. I also put moisturiser on the back of my hands too, as it's often just as good as any hand creme. But thoroughly washing then thoroughly rinsing your face [ with a final rinse in cold water to close the pores] is key.
    I use Simple face wash too, it's pretty cheap and seems to work just as well as the more expensive stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiewhitez10)
    I've always wondered about this and don't want to offend anyones current methods but how important is skincare?

By that I mean, why is it that women in particular seem so over the top with skincare whilst men (for the most part) are not, and in most circumstances men are the ones with naturally better skin?

I am a 20 year old female, that wears a little bit of makeup and I'm told regularly that I should be washing my face with certain makeup removers and then adding toners and moisturisers everyday and it all just seems so toxic? I tried it a few times and it just leaves my skin red or really, really dry, almost like each one is making me depend on the next step whereas if I just wash my face with warm water, or maybe a normal facial scrub with water it leaves my skin really nice and smooth?

I live with my partner and we have pretty much the same skincare routine, water or water with a normal face wash and that's it...Occasionally I'll put moisturiser on, that's if I'm not going to wear any makeup but otherwise I don't.

Do you think that the problem is more when girls wear a LOT of makeup and that's what's causing the bad skin, and they're also the ones that often talk about skincare routines and I'm just put off by that?

I've always had pretty good skin, and to be honest the only time that I've felt as though I've had 'bad skin' was when I started doing the whole 'skincare routine' thing...So my question is what's your opinion on it? and does anyone have the same opinion as me, because so far it seems to be a pretty unpopular one haha
    it's marketing hun. i used to have terrible skin when i was a teen. tried every cleanser, toner, moisturiser, exfoliator under the sun. you name it, I had it. eventually i gave up and stuck to moisturiser, face wash once a day and exfoliated every other day or so. my skin started getting better when i was around 21 and i started getting lazy and student life caught up with me and i begrudged paying so much for skin products. my skin in now perfect, with the minor few spots around my period. i wash my face with water every morning and remove my make up before i sleep. i use a face wash cream every 3 days or so. moisturise daily because my skin is itchy otherwise. never used so few products in my life.

skin is just dependant on age, hormones and diet. unless you are letting your face get filthy or you work as a fast food fryer or are sweating a lot (i always use soap when i've been to gym) then "skincare" won't affect it. it's marketing.

the only facial skincare i'd say is essential is light SPF mosituriser in winter and suncream for face in summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofswords)
    I hate the look and feel of foundation. It also takes ages to put on. So I invest in skincare instead. Not just lux brands but professional brands from dermatologists that actually work.

I use a fruit acid based cleanser, prescription strength hyroquinone and tretinoin twice a day.I use Bioderma micellar water toner half way through the day to refresh and spf when I leave the house. It's not about have a hundred things in your skincare routine, its about using 2 or 3 products that actually work.

I only wear eye make up, lipstick and blush/ highlighter- it saves times and feels better.

I was partly inspired to ditch foundation by these two beauty guru's on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWhi36NCEU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ehT4BBTZQ

i don't wear foundation on a daily basis, only when i'm doing something in the evening.. but i think the first girl's make up is way too heavy for no foundation. i think no foundation suits light, day make up only... the second girl on gets away with it because she has lovely freckles.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's important because if you neglect iit can lead to permanent damage

I'm a guy but I try and have good skin by drinking 2-3 litres of water a day, moisturising twice a day and occasionally exfoliating

ReputationRep:
    i have pretty good skin, the odd zit but not too bad. i don't do any major skin care, just water. i don't wear makeup, am vegan and have been pretty much for a lot of my life.

ReputationRep:
    I've struggled with acne for years and no popular skincare products would help me... I think it's important to focus on ingredients and avoid products containing SLS (L'Oreal for example). Using too many cosmetics doesn't help for sure - it will only cause irritation and dryness or clogged pores. The best you can do is using natural products in reasonable amounts.

ReputationRep:
    Skincare is very important at the age of 40 .Because this is the time everyone feels getting older.We see wrinkles on face and have to prevent it.it may increase.At 36 start to use dermalmd wrinkle serum to get very young look .My skin is very soft and supple after this serum.does wonders.......

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.