The Student Room Group

is it acceptable to look for a part time job after graduating?

I am in the situation where i am graduating in a few days but due to my location will need money to get a car in order to look for jobs elsewhere (there is nothing for a full time graduate job in my local area). So therefore, I am trying to get a part time job so i have the money to do this. however, I am getting fed up of the look and response i get from friends and (particularly) relatives, when they ask me the typical 'what are you doing after you graduate' question and I reply by telling them i'm looking for part time work so i can get money to drive and expand my horizons so to speak. They give me the look of 'surely a graduate can do better'. when my mum was talking to my aunt about how i'd recently been rejected from tesco after 2 interviews, my aunt said 'surely she could do better than tesco'. Its got to the point now where i am dreading my graduation day and the days after, as well as talking to my extended family about my situation. The only people who have understood and supported my situation have been my parents (luckily) who seem to be happy that i am trying to find work, and a couple of my ex sixth form teachers who i bumped into the other day.
just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this?
Original post by tgwktm
I am in the situation where i am graduating in a few days but due to my location will need money to get a car in order to look for jobs elsewhere (there is nothing for a full time graduate job in my local area). So therefore, I am trying to get a part time job so i have the money to do this. however, I am getting fed up of the look and response i get from friends and (particularly) relatives, when they ask me the typical 'what are you doing after you graduate' question and I reply by telling them i'm looking for part time work so i can get money to drive and expand my horizons so to speak. They give me the look of 'surely a graduate can do better'. when my mum was talking to my aunt about how i'd recently been rejected from tesco after 2 interviews, my aunt said 'surely she could do better than tesco'. Its got to the point now where i am dreading my graduation day and the days after, as well as talking to my extended family about my situation. The only people who have understood and supported my situation have been my parents (luckily) who seem to be happy that i am trying to find work, and a couple of my ex sixth form teachers who i bumped into the other day.

The graduate job market is saturated right now and so a large proportion of graduates are having to resort to part time work after graduation while looking for better paying jobs. Even though I am doing my master's and still studying, I work part time and at my place of work there are people who have degrees (some even have engineering degrees) and still haven't found a "grad" job. Some people just do not appreciate the climate for graduates at the moment, coming by a grad job is really difficult unless you have 3 years experience, a 6 month internship at the UN, and a Nobel peace prize. However, graduates do have to realise that a degree is no entitlement letter to 25k+ a year jobs, you gotta start at the bottom and work your way up, which you are doing. Just tell the people around you to f-off and mind their own business :wink:
Original post by tgwktm

To be honest most graduates go for part time jobs when they find it hard to look for something long term.
However the problem is, most employers will know that graduates won't tend to stay for long term because when graduates do find something long term they will ultimately leave the role and that's why they eliminate some graduates when checking applications. :sadnod:

But if the part time job does make you happy, people shouldn't complain about you.
Nonetheless they do probably because they are a graduate themselves and can't even find a part time job let alone a full time role.
Remember most graduates have never even worked in their lives and that is why they tend to struggle finding a job - and would want their 'dream' job to come their way without looking at other jobs in the meantime if you understand what I mean.
My brother-in-law's niece (a year older than myself) and nephew work in the same role after graduation, but it took the niece at least 2 years to find that warehouse role and the nephew was forced to work there because - again he simply couldn't find anything.
My mother's friend's daughter graduated the same year as me works at IKEA and has been right through the present day.
I've personally never done a part time role since graduation other than working in the mother's friend's restaurant just to make ends meet.
But the pattern I'm making in this post is that there is a stigma to part time jobs especially if its a dull and menial role because well most of these jobs - anyone can and should actually do regardless whether they got a 1st Class at Oxford University. Graduates and non-graduates are always comparable in jobs these days.

So my point is it's great that you have a great positive attitude to actively looking for work in your own way that may benefit your career and there is nothing wrong with that. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't see any problems with applying for part-time work! I personally think it's a very sensible thing to do if you're struggling to find a graduate role, and it's great that you have a positive attitude towards it, as was said above :smile:
I think it is a sensible route to take, and one that is quite common for a lot of graduates. Normally graduates are expected to find a full time job after university, but each individual is different. I think it is a good plan to take, but do keep in mind your intended career - don't lose focus! What are you planning to do after you get a part time job?
I been working part time this past year, as I needed money in, while I looked for full time work in the field I wanted to work in. I got a full time job offer but having to wait for checks. Nothing wrong with getting part time work to get you by.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tgwktm

To be honest, it's none of their ******* business regarding what jobs you apply for. Honestly, having a part-time job is better than sitting around and doing nothing. Please don't let that put you off from applying :smile: Regarding my personal experiences, I had my now ex-boyfriend and some of his friends down my throat because I only volunteer and not have a paid job but honestly, I stuck to my guns and I'm so glad I did. It got me some very valuable experience with customer service and admin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I thought it would be common sense.
Reply 8
Original post by tgwktm

Did you follow through with this plan, how did it work out?

I work full time at a dead end job and am debating asking for part time, so I have more time to job hunt for something I actually want
Original post by tgwktm

Far too many graduates for good jobs is what happens when so many go to university.
Reply 10
Original post by iamux
Did you follow through with this plan, how did it work out?

I work full time at a dead end job and am debating asking for part time, so I have more time to job hunt for something I actually want

still trying this plan and still applying to part time and a couple of full time roles, had interviews but nothing more. beginning to think that my degree is holding me back

Quick Reply