Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to pack for a farm volunteering WorkAway Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but I'm putting it here anyway 😆

I'm heading to France on Monday to volunteer on a farm with animals for two weeks. It's through this free volunteering opportunity called Workaway.

I've no idea what to expect so here are my questions if you've ever worked on a farm or volunteered through Workaway or Helpx:

1) Was it easy to talk to your hosts? I'm naturally an easy talker but I'm worried I'll get there and not know what to do with myself. Should I offer to help straight away? Make small talk and follow them around? Leave them alone and disappear?

2) what do I pack? 😂 I don't know what to expect. Should I pack nice clothes as well as rough clothes? Would I look out of place working with horses in denim shorts that I don't mind getting dirty?

3) Any other advice?

Thanks guys!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatcs001)
    I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but I'm putting it here anyway 😆

I'm heading to France on Monday to volunteer on a farm with animals for two weeks. It's through this free volunteering opportunity called Workaway.

I've no idea what to expect so here are my questions if you've ever worked on a farm or volunteered through Workaway or Helpx:

1) Was it easy to talk to your hosts? I'm naturally an easy talker but I'm worried I'll get there and not know what to do with myself. Should I offer to help straight away? Make small talk and follow them around? Leave them alone and disappear?

2) what do I pack? 😂 I don't know what to expect. Should I pack nice clothes as well as rough clothes? Would I look out of place working with horses in denim shorts that I don't mind getting dirty?

3) Any other advice?

Thanks guys!!!!
    1) They'll show you around and then tell you what to do, and then you do it, its that simple really. Yeh they're usually very friendly out of hours but when working are rather blunt so be prepared for a bit of blue talk. I've only ever had one bad boss on a stud farm but if you just put your head down and do what he says within reason, you'll be fine. Also you're volunteering so no fear of being fired

2) What sort of jobs are you doing? Best bet is to pack a few pairs of jeans/work trousers you don't mind getting torn and dirty, and ideally two pairs of wellingtons or work boots but one pair is okay. Of course pack suitable casuals on your off days

Enjoy your trip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    1) They'll show you around and then tell you what to do, and then you do it, its that simple really. Yeh they're usually very friendly out of hours but when working are rather blunt so be prepared for a bit of blue talk. I've only ever had one bad boss on a stud farm but if you just put your head down and do what he says within reason, you'll be fine. Also you're volunteering so no fear of being fired

2) What sort of jobs are you doing? Best bet is to pack a few pairs of jeans/work trousers you don't mind getting torn and dirty, and ideally two pairs of wellingtons or work boots but one pair is okay. Of course pack suitable casuals on your off days

Enjoy your trip
    Thanks a lot! That's really helped

One last quick question, when I meet them, should I shake their hand? I'm sure heyll initiate something but I don't know if I shouldn't just smile or shake their hand 😂 My thinking is to treat them as my boss for a while to see what they're like.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.