Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I'm really interested in physics. Does anyone have any tips and stuff that I can do that will enhance my personal statement for physics?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by student273)
    Hi, I'm really interested in physics. Does anyone have any tips and stuff that I can do that will enhance my personal statement for physics?
    Do a physics based project over the summer. Something that needs you to apply your learning and goes beyond the syllabus.

Years ago I designed made and tested a solar water heater using materials bought from B&Q and stuff in the garage and garden shed:

Parabolic solar tracking reflector, 22 mm, gravity fed central heating pipe (painted black) running down the middle of a metre long elongated parabolic reflector made from shiny side (flattened, smoothed and polished) aluminium baking foil stuck to a wooden former.
    The pipe fed into a heat exchanger (I converted the pipe diameter outside the reflector with an adapter to use 8mm micro-bore pipe because it was really easy to bend and shape).
    The reflector was motorised. It was meant to be a 2-axis gimballed type arrangement with photocell solar tracker, control electronics and a motor-pulley arrangement to drive the reflector, but this became complicated very quickly so ended up as a single axis for expediency.

I learned a great deal of practical work doing this, especially about electronics, building prototypes, experimentation, overcoming practical problems, power conversion, thermal energy losses etc. Mid summer with the sun out in a clear blue sky, it worked surprisingly well - and that was the realisation that solar water heaters in the UK are completely reliant on the British climate !

That it was seriously flawed was irrelevant. The thing is, by doing this, it gave me a real head start over other candidates who relied on their academic work alone. It meant that I had real project evidence to take to the interview (photographic and a work folder) and have a worthwhile discussion and the motivation was self explanatory. The interviewer even called in a couple of his colleagues to have a look at my folder.

Beware though, I went to university as a mature student with no A-levels but I did have an HNC in electronics and was up against some stiff competition.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.