Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pintsize21's Summer Bucket List: (mainly things to do at home) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Happy Summer Holidays!
    My name is Hannah and I am going to be in yr11 in September.
    Please note: I have chronic neuropathic pain and chronic migraines so it won't sound like an ambitious summer bucket list to some
    - Done ; - started ; - To do
    - Bake something new- aim for something everyone likes.
    I baked with Mam! She very kindly did the heavy lifting and I...I ate the cake batter but in my books that counts so let's tick it off.
    - Read: Lord of the Flies, Great Expectations and Macbeth- classics and try to analyse them to develop an understanding of English techniques.
    I have started, that feels so rewarding to be able to say!
    - Go to a cafe with my Grandad- nice opportunity of catch-up
    Unfortunately I wasn't feeling well enough so we ordered a take-away instead. Still lovely to catch-up.
    - Attend hydrotherapy- aim for as many sessions as possible
    It's tiring but I have lovely hydro therapists who make it worthwhile.
    - Learn code- try to learn python using Udemy
    - Do some drawing- importantly, actually finish it.
    It was good fun but I'm never going to be an artist!
    - Geography case study booklet- the joys of homework
    - I have finally started! Quite shocked by how many there are...so if anyone wants some help with them, feel free to contact me.
    After spending a lot of time doing this, and reading many forum she on TSR, I came to the conclusion that this wasn't very productive. I enjoyed it but felt as though my notes already covered it; but I gave it a go.
    -French- perhaps try duolingo.
    so far so good! I'm enjoying it!
    It's a shame to be with unstable wifi because not only have I been unable to update this thread much, but I couldn't access my Duolingo account (I was 40% fluently so there is room for improvement). All in all this holiday has been a really good opportunity for me to relax and take a break from school studies.
    - Buy a plant- look after it! (me and my green-fingers)
    - I had some family over at the weekend and they bought me a plant...I will try to keep it alive!
    Would you believe it..I called it Lazarus as it came back from the dead.
    - Endeavour to cure Harry Potter Fanfiction Addiction- ...a serious issue...
    One cannot simply cure said addiction over a six week period but can instead spread the potterphile knowledge within me with my brother.
    - Watch a few documentaries- why not?
    My favourite so far: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...uggid=p05733vk It is about gun violence in America....
    - Write CV- you know you have to!
    - Tidy my bedroom- I don't even know how it became this messy
    By definition this is a miracle. I found lots of new stationery; it was like like Christmas in July.
    -Stop procrastinating- finish my Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/215764603/englis...s-flash-cards/
    - I'm going through them alphabetically and just reached 'e'...
    - (new) Have a week phone free- it couldn't do me any harm...
    SMILE UNTIL MY CHEEKS HURT
    I hope you all have an enjoyable and productive summer. xx (let's change this sea of purple emojis to )

Update- week one- so far I haven't done an awful lot, but have had two migraines. I feel like I should tidy my room but currently lacking motivation and waiting for a magical fairy to come and do it for me...
    Summer is a wonderful opportunity to read when you don't have to analyse every word like in English class. I'm trying to put a collection of books I would like to read together. Any suggestions? I'm fond of the classics and murder mystery....

Week 2- let the adventures commence.
    The holidays are flying by! I spent this week chillaxing and catching-up with some family. I seem to have spent a lot of time with my brother which has been great.

Week 3 and 4: first of all, where is the sun? Terrential rain for most of the week- not exactly summer! This week I've had quite a few appointments but at least they are over now. I'm hoping to do some revision posters...let's see how much I can do
    Week 4: here I am hoping to tan in the Irish rain...having a wonderful time! This week I might not have done lots of work but I have been relaxing and reading which has been lovely. My brother and I have been playing top trumps and I have also been enjoying Telly Bingo with my Nana (still waiting to win 😅😄)
    I have indulged in watching the Rose of Tralee over the past couple of days. It's a contest when girls from all around the world celebrate their Irish heritage. It's empowering and thoroughly enjoyable tradition I share with my Nana and Mam. 😊

week 5- I apologise for inactivity but I have had a really tough week. This week I lost my darling Charlie, my dog. I posted a thread a couple of days ago asking whether I should be there with him at the vets and appreciated the support. I miss him.

In summary, I hope everyone has had a wonderful summer holiday! I have had a lovely summer holiday but this week has been emotionally very tough. Regardless, I enjoyed this competition and would love to do it again next year! Xx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pintsize21)
    Please note: I have chronic neuropathic pain and chronic migraines so it won't sound like an ambitious summer bucket list to some
    I hope you all have an enjoyable and productive summer. xx (let's change this sea of purple emojis to )
    Are you kidding me?! Some of the stuff on here is great You're bound to have a lot of fun!

Also, I can give a good recommendation for duolingo; I wish I'd known about it when I did GCSE French a good four years ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Are you kidding me?! Some of the stuff on here is great You're bound to have a lot of fun!

Also, I can give a good recommendation for duolingo; I wish I'd known about it when I did GCSE French a good four years ago!
    Thank you!

I will try out Duolingo, but am prepared for some unusual expressions- apparently, Duolingo has quite a few.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Happy Summer Holidays!
    - Read: Lord of the Flies, Great Expectations and Macbeth- classics and try to analyse them to develop an understanding of English techniques.
    - Make a game- study related because it is good to try alternative means of revision
    -Stop procrastinating- finish my Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/215764603/englis...s-flash-cards/
    Good luck! :hugs: Have you used Quizlet?
    they have good resources and games you can make study related. Also Quizup now allows you to make your own topic, ok it has a little issue as you can only have your multiple choice answers a certain amount of characters but its great fun otherwise :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bizzy_penguin)
    Good luck! :hugs: Have you used Quizlet?
    they have good resources and games you can make study related. Also Quizup now allows you to make your own topic, ok it has a little issue as you can only have your multiple choice answers a certain amount of characters but its great fun otherwise :yes:
    Thanks and I haven't heard of quizup before, I will sign up- I find it can be very difficult to find new revision sources, so I am always interested in new ones. How are your summer holidays at the moment?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and I haven't heard of quizup before, I will sign up- I find it can be very difficult to find new revision sources, so I am always interested in new ones. How are your summer holidays at the moment?
    Holidays are going pretty well at the moment :yes:
    kinda concerned about my lack of Doctor Who binge watching I'm only on series 2 ep 7 atm and I promised I'd complete the modern era including spin offs... On the bright side the chicken Kievs I just made will hopefully turn out good

ReputationRep:
    Happy Summer Holidays!
    - I have finally started! Quite shocked by how many there are...so if anyone wants some help with them, feel free to contact me.
    - I had some family over at the weekend and they bought me a plant...I will try to keep it alive!
    - Make a game- study related because it is good to try alternative means of revision
    - I'm going through them alphabetically and just reached 'e'...

Update- week one- so far I haven't done an awful lot, but have had two migraines. I feel like I should tidy my room but currently lacking motivation and waiting for a magical fairy to come and do it for me...
    This is a great and productive summer bucket list! Looking forward to see the turn into
    I've just started mine :mmm: And its no where near as exciting as yours 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bizzy_penguin)
    Holidays are going pretty well at the moment :yes:
    kinda concerned about my lack of Doctor Who binge watching I'm only on series 2 ep 7 atm and I promised I'd complete the modern era including spin offs... On the bright side the chicken Kievs I just made will hopefully turn out good
    Sounds good! I haven the watched Dr Who since Christmas as I started to watch the Mentalist- highly reccommend it. As for your Chicken Kievs, I hope you have discovered your inner chef. 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BintM)
    This is a great and productive summer bucket list! Looking forward to see the turn into
    I've just started mine :mmm: And its no where near as exciting as yours 😂
    Thanks but honestly I haven't made a dent in the amount I would have liked! I'm sure yours is very exciting, anything in particular you are looking forward to?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! Memrise is amazing for languages, by the way. Loads of other things too! I find there aren't the same issues you get with Duolingo and it's more in depth than things like the BBC online stuff (though not sure if that still exists anyway). I did one of these last year and the vast majority of mine was indoors-y things that didn't take a lot of energy because of my own chronic illness and pain and I still had a really good time doing it so I'm sure you will too!

ReputationRep:
    Ahoy! How are you?

It feels like I have spent most of the week in hospital in and out for appointments- oh the joys! Yesterday I had three bone scans and two CT scans which were interesting. You may cover them in biology but I highly recommend trying it as a practical (haha).

I read Thirteen Reasons Why yesterday and was amazed! I haven't had an opportunity to watch the TV series yet but was intrigued avout the storyline since I've heard quite a bit about it. I found the book an easy read and in many respects similar to the Perks of Being a Wallflower. I might post a review later...not sure but would love to share thoughts with others.

That's all that's new at the moment. I hope you are having a fabulously relaxed holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Found this video about a productive summer, I highly recommend you check it out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZWG...hwD12OrVM9Gy-6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Good luck! Memrise is amazing for languages, by the way. Loads of other things too! I find there aren't the same issues you get with Duolingo and it's more in depth than things like the BBC online stuff (though not sure if that still exists anyway). I did one of these last year and the vast majority of mine was indoors-y things that didn't take a lot of energy because of my own chronic illness and pain and I still had a really good time doing it so I'm sure you will too!
    It is lovely to hear from someone else who has a chronic illness- it is very difficult. I'm currently able to do the stairs once a day but have a new set of hydrotherapy starting next week. It's amazing how you can find small hobbies that don't require much energy- for instance I learnt sign language, mainly through Youtube
    Hope you are having a fandabbydosey summer!

ReputationRep:
    RECOMMENDATION: I love Udemy courses! They are fun and cover a range of topics; if you want to try one, here is a website filled with vouchers for various courses:
    https://udemycoupon.learnviral.com/c...e100-discount/

Give it a try...
    Name:  Screenshot (234).png
Views: 35
Size:  303.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Duolingo update: I joined, took the placement test and are now working my way through it. So far so good, would recommend (also it is free....)
    Name:  Screenshot (251).png
Views: 36
Size:  88.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Duolingo update: I joined, took the placement test and are now working my way through it. So far so good, would recommend (also it is free....)
    Good luck (or rather, bonne chance/je te dis merde) with Duolingo! I love your list so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinkx Monsoon)
    Good luck (or rather, bonne chance/je te dis merde) with Duolingo! I love your list so far.
    Merci beaucoup! Although the daily reminders are a tad tedious...It's nice to keep track of what you are doing in the summer, time seems to fly.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you use code academy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haribo asstastic)
    Why don't you use code academy?
    I have heard of code academy, and probably should sign up since I've heard such good reviews...I might sign up and see which is better: Udemy courses or code academy. Thanks for the recommendation!

ReputationRep:
    Interesting! I might have to go have a look at duolingo. Aiming to learn Arabic to a fluent level 😆
    How was 13 reasons why? Thats next on my list to read.
    I recommend you read I Am Pilgrim. Its such a good book (910 pages long though :mmm:)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.