Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How reliable is the library for the university's computer science course? Will I have to buy any textbooks myself, or will I be able to borrow them all from the library? Because I heard textbooks can be pretty expensive for university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlgeBrains)
    How reliable is the library for the university's computer science course? Will I have to buy any textbooks myself, or will I be able to borrow them all from the library? Because I heard textbooks can be pretty expensive for university.
    All the books on your recommended reading list should be available in the library, so I wouldn't worry too much. I wouldn't recommend buying any just yet because often you only really need a chapter or several pages from a book for reading I recommend asking people from the above years of your course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by games211)
    All the books on your recommended reading list should be available in the library, so I wouldn't worry too much. I wouldn't recommend buying any just yet because often you only really need a chapter or several pages from a book for reading I recommend asking people from the above years of your course?
    How can I contact such people? Do I have to wait until I actually GET to university?

It's been a while since I was at the university/I did a different course but I found the library to be very reliable. As the user above suggests, no need to buy them immediately and certainly no need to buy them all. I waited until I had been to a few introductory lectures and settled in before deciding on buying any textbooks - I did get a couple as I found myself always checking them out, but for everything else I rarely had trouble finding books in the library or materials online.

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy the books, ever. Massive amounts of money for a few references. You can access everything your course requires you to read via the library, but with CompSci that won't be a huge amount.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.