The Student Room Group

How long after starting the pill am i protected?

Right, i am so sick of reading so many different answers to this! I started taking the mini pill 8 days ago. The packet says wait 7 days, the internet says wait 2 days, but some say wait an entire month?
I dont know when i started taking the pill as i do not have a cycle (i was on the mini pill for months, i had to stop taking it for a week when i become quite sick), now i have started taking it again.

How long should i wait before i am protected and can trust that the pill is working?
Original post by littledaisy
Right, i am so sick of reading so many different answers to this! I started taking the mini pill 8 days ago. The packet says wait 7 days, the internet says wait 2 days, but some say wait an entire month?
I dont know when i started taking the pill as i do not have a cycle (i was on the mini pill for months, i had to stop taking it for a week when i become quite sick), now i have started taking it again.

How long should i wait before i am protected and can trust that the pill is working?

The packet is most likely the truth. The internet could be talking about a different brand. Just use a condom for double protection.
Why believe people on the internet when the packet clearly says 7 days? Who do you trust more?
Reply 3
It depends on where you take it during your cycle. The general consensus is that, if you start it on the first day of your period, you're protected straight away. If you start taking the pill a few days after your period, you should use barrier contraception too for the next 3 - 5 days to prevent pregnancy.

This is because ovulation can start just a few days after your period (this mostly applies to girls with cycles shorter than 28 days). So the 5 day limit on the packet is just there in case you haven't been following your cycle, as you could have been ovulating already when you started taking it.
Reply 4
Original post by Petulia
It depends on where you take it during your cycle. The general consensus is that, if you start it on the first day of your period, you're protected straight away. If you start taking the pill a few days after your period, you should use barrier contraception too for the next 3 - 5 days to prevent pregnancy.

This is because ovulation can start just a few days after your period (this mostly applies to girls with cycles shorter than 28 days). So the 5 day limit on the packet is just there in case you haven't been following your cycle, as you could have been ovulating already when you started taking it.

But i didnt have a 'cycle' as such as i was already taking the mini pill for months which stopped my periods. I had one week off it, now started taking it again. Not everyone has a cycle to follow hun

Quick Reply