Requirements to achieve an A* in A Level AQA chemistry and physics in new linear spec

Watch
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Above
AspiringUnderdog
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BTAnonymous)
Above
pretty sure it's just like the other grades. Meet a certain mark overall in both papers. ASs don't count towards it so that's the most likely option.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You just need to score well enough to get one. The total mark required will vary every year.
BTAnonymous
Rep:
?
(Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
pretty sure it's just like the other grades. Meet a certain mark overall in both papers. ASs don't count towards it so that's the most likely option.
Well I didn't take any AS for chemistry this year.

The thing is I have 3 exams next summer so which one(s) require the usual "90% in paper(s)"
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well I didn't take any AS for chemistry this year.

The thing is I have 3 exams next summer so which one(s) require the usual "90% in paper(s)"
None of them. New spec exams are like GCSE maths grade boundaries. You'll have to get a certain mark out of the total score to get an A*. For example, if the A* is 240/300, that could be 80 in each or 60, 80, 100. etc

IT'S RAW MARKS NOT UMS FOR NEW SPEC
BTAnonymous
Rep:
?
(Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
None of them. New spec exams are like GCSE maths grade boundaries. You'll have to get a certain mark out of the total score to get an A*. For example, if the A* is 240/300, that could be 80 in each or 60, 80, 100. etc

IT'S RAW MARKS NOT UMS FOR NEW SPEC

Oh, had no idea UMS had been scraped.
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yup, see you later, ums.

If you're doing (further) maths in year 13 then that will still have ums though.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
UMS has only ever been used for modular qualifications as they have to be able to compare units taken in different exam seasons. It still exists for the modular A levels that still exist, but isn't used for new linear A levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.76%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads