The Student Room Group

Charlie Gard: Death threats sent to Great Ormond Street staff

Staff at Great Ormond Street Hospital have received death threats over the treatment of baby Charlie Gard.

The hospital said police had been called after families were "harassed" and "unacceptable behaviour" was recorded in the hospital.

It is involved in a legal battle to remove life support from the 11-month-old, who has a rare genetic disorder.

His parents Connie Yates and Chris Gard said they did not condone abuse and had also faced "nasty and hurtful remarks".

Charlie, who was born on 4 August 2016, has a form of mitochondrial disease, a condition that causes progressive muscle weakness and irreversible brain damage, and his parents want to take him to the US for pioneering treatment.

In recent weeks the hospital community had been subjected to a "shocking and disgraceful tide of hostility and disturbance," she said.

She added: "Staff have received abuse both in the street and online. "Thousands of abusive messages have been sent to doctors and nurses whose life's work is to care for sick children.

"Many of these messages are menacing, including death threats. "Families have been harassed and discomforted while visiting their children, and we have received complaints of unacceptable behaviour even within the hospital itself."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40691478
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh ffs, the parents should just let the poor kid die - it's probably so painful for him and he'll never be a normal child, anyway.

But I suppose it IS sad to lose a child, don't get me wrong.
Death threats seem to be the first recourse now for anyone annoyed, peeved or slightly put out by something they see someone doing on the telly that they don't like much.

There probably needs to be a new standard punishment for making death threats by email, phone or other remote ways - something like having their homes demolished, their children taken into care and denied the right to future medical treatment?
Of course it's disgusting behaviour
Situations like this will bring out the best and worst of humanity
This situation needs to be resolved now as quickly as possible
koyaanisqatsi

:emo:

*a Hopi Indian word meaning Life Out of Balance
I don't know why they are not aloud to take the kid to america to be honest.
Reply 6
There are two sides to this story. One side wants to end the suffering of a baby with no hope. The other side want to stop the first side from killing a baby they've given up on by preventing other doctors from helping him. You can see why the latter side regard the former with contempt.
Isn't it true that he's in constant pain? The poor little mite. What kind of quality of life is he ever going to have? The doctor at the court the other day said his brain scan showed marked deterioration. Would they keep their pet cat or dog suffering like this?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I don't know why they are not aloud to take the kid to america to be honest.

Read the latest statement on the GOSH website to find out why. It'll probably all get clarified next week anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
These rent-a-mob types really make my stomach turn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm aware that the Gard situation is hotting up on the political-sphere, and the nature of the case at hand allows emotional response to shoot up with strength. But what they are throwing towards the staff, most of whom have never worked on his case, is inexcusable and quite frankly exposes the narrow-mindedness of some of the population.

I'm not here to debate whether he should die or not, that's not up to me, nor does it matter to me, but to hurl abuse at doctors and nurses, there for the wellbeing of others, is sickening.

Ironic because most of these chavs will end up coming here for medical support at some point in their lives..
Reply 11
Original post by MrDystopia
Staff at Great Ormond Street Hospital have received death threats over the treatment of baby Charlie Gard.

The hospital said police had been called after families were "harassed" and "unacceptable behaviour" was recorded in the hospital.

It is involved in a legal battle to remove life support from the 11-month-old, who has a rare genetic disorder.

His parents Connie Yates and Chris Gard said they did not condone abuse and had also faced "nasty and hurtful remarks".

Charlie, who was born on 4 August 2016, has a form of mitochondrial disease, a condition that causes progressive muscle weakness and irreversible brain damage, and his parents want to take him to the US for pioneering treatment.

In recent weeks the hospital community had been subjected to a "shocking and disgraceful tide of hostility and disturbance," she said.

She added: "Staff have received abuse both in the street and online. "Thousands of abusive messages have been sent to doctors and nurses whose life's work is to care for sick children.

"Many of these messages are menacing, including death threats. "Families have been harassed and discomforted while visiting their children, and we have received complaints of unacceptable behaviour even within the hospital itself."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40691478

f*cking hell these people are sick. I'm sure this is not what the parents of Charlie Gard's parents want despite everything that is going on in the courts. There are people who send others death threats because they act the part of an unpopular character in Eastenders so it's not surprising they come out of the woodwork for this. I'm sure the parents are getting them too in this tragic dispute.

They usually come to nothing but I hope the victims on both side are getting the support and protection they need. This is where we need Anonymous to come in and dox these sickos... or the police to find and prosecute them.
(edited 6 years ago)
these scum who abuse NHS staff online would be the first ones to complain if their self-inflicted illnesses were not treated free of charge. just disgusting.
That's very sad and unacceptable since no one should have death threats hurled at them, but the staff at the hospital have literally been threatening to kill Charlie Gard against his parents' will for the past few months.
Reply 14
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Death threats seem to be the first recourse now for anyone annoyed, peeved or slightly put out by something they see someone doing on the telly that they don't like much.

There probably needs to be a new standard punishment for making death threats by email, phone or other remote ways - something like having their homes demolished, their children taken into care and denied the right to future medical treatment?

I think rather than it being the norm for most people, there is a group of people who might seem normal to their friends and family but are secretly addicted to "trolling" and jump on any opportunity to send people evil messages and death threats because they think it's funny. It's very very odd.

also i don't think it should be called trolling. that just trivialises it. to me trolling is posting provoking but harmless i.e. "justin bieber is the best musician ever born"... this is another level.
Reply 15
Original post by Trapz99
That's very sad and unacceptable since no one should have death threats hurled at them, but the staff at the hospital have literally been threatening to kill Charlie Gard against his parents' will for the past few months.

are you actually joking? you are making it sound like they're vindictively trying to murder this poor child. they've made the professional decision as doctors that keeping him alive is going to cause him extreme suffering and will not improve his condition. it's a heartbreaking case on both sides, and obviously unthinkable for the parents... but they aren't "threatening to kill" him.
Original post by Moura
are you actually joking? you are making it sound like they're vindictively trying to murder this poor child. they've made the professional decision as doctors that keeping him alive is going to cause him extreme suffering and will not improve his condition. it's a heartbreaking case on both sides, and obviously unthinkable for the parents... but they aren't "threatening to kill" him.

Considering that they aren't giving Charlie's parents the right to seek treatment elsewhere, they are preventing the child from receiving possibly life-saving treatment and therefore, yes, they are threatening to kill him. Look at it from the parents' point of view. They are clear that ending Charlie's life is against their wishes and, since it's their child, I can understand why they would see it as murder if he was killed by the doctors.
Reply 17
Boo boo, perhaps they can stop making death threats at Charlie then if they don't want it themselves
Original post by Trapz99
Considering that they aren't giving Charlie's parents the right to seek treatment elsewhere, they are preventing the child from receiving possibly life-saving treatment and therefore, yes, they are threatening to kill him. Look at it from the parents' point of view. They are clear that ending Charlie's life is against their wishes and, since it's their child, I can understand why they would see it as murder if he was killed by the doctors.

Ah another one. Before you start making these idiotic claims, go and read GOSH's most recent statement on the case. It's on their website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This child is on morphine 24 hours a day. I know this. He cannot feel pain because of this. The cost has been over £1 million pounds so far. He will never have a normal life. The parents and the rent a mob need to accept this. The nhs does not have limitless funds.

The cost to great Ormond street hospital is incalculable. They do a brilliant job for some of the sickest children in the world and they are being treated like kidnappers

Quick Reply

Latest