Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Second EU Referendum? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Should we have a second referendum after May has drafted up the terms and negotiations for a post Brexit UK?

ReputationRep:
    Umm no

ReputationRep:
    We had one, decision made, suck it up princess.

please quote that to the sturgeon woman to save me repeating it

ReputationRep:
    Yes because I think people are more educated about the effects of it - both the positive and negative - than they were before, so voters are more likely to make a more informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieSusee)
    Yes because I think people are more educated about the effects of it - both the positive and negative - than they were before, so voters are more likely to make a more informed decision.
    What I really mean:

I didn't like the result of the EU referendum, therefore I think there should be another vote because of course everyone who voted Leave are/were uneducated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    What I really mean:

I didn't like the result of the EU referendum, therefore I think there should be another vote because of course everyone who voted Leave are/were uneducated.
    No, I don't mean that. I genuinely believe we are more educated now than we were before because we've seen some of the true effects now instead of being told what might happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieSusee)
    No, I don't mean that. I genuinely believe we are more educated now than we were before because we've seen some of the true effects now instead of being told what might happen.
    Both sides said things which weren't true. I think it was George Osborne who said once we vote to leave we would be in a recession. There was scare-mongering on both sides. It was silly of Cameron to even call a referendum but what is done is done. We have to wait till we've actually left the EU to truly know the effects. We don't know what life will be like 5-10 years down the line after leaving the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Both sides said things which weren't true. I think it was George Osborne who said once we vote to leave we would be in a recession. There was scare-mongering on both sides. It was silly of Cameron to even call a referendum but what is done is done. We have to wait till we've actually left the EU to truly know the effects. We don't know what life will be like 5-10 years down the line after leaving the EU.
    That's very true, it may all be different when enough time has passed.

ReputationRep:
    Two letters
    Spoiler:
    Show

no
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes. If you Brexiteers truly believed in democracy, you wouldn't be so desperate to cover up the somewhat enlightened 'will of the people'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard0328)
    We had one, decision made, suck it up princess
    Why? "There is unfinished business."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b020461a1d5fd9

PS - I am not a princess honey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Why? "There is unfinished business."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b020461a1d5fd9

PS - I am not a princess honey.
    there will always be unfinished business. Good or bad, things happen so deal with it and move on. You cant live on ifs and buts so do the best you can with what you have rather than what you would like to have

ReputationRep:
    Nope, for the straightforward reason that it could not be decisive. The UK voted to leave the EU. If we vote against a particular framework for leaving, then we still have an overarching vote to leave. What happens then?

Nor do I really think that trade agreements should be put to referendum generally.

ReputationRep:
    There would have to be a massive swing in public opinion against leave. I know a lot of former leave mps have changed their mind, but you'd have to be seeing 2-1 splits in polling before it was seriously considered.

The issue is that the conservatives have no majority and a significant number of brexiteers, and labour leadership is more eurosceptic than the conservative
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cognition!)
    Yes. If you Brexiteers truly believed in democracy, you wouldn't be so desperate to cover up the somewhat enlightened 'will of the people'.
    It was made perfectly clear during the referendum campaign that the EU vote was a once in a generation thing, like the Scottish independence one, and we weren't going to get another chance.

I don't remember any calls for a second referendum on the final Brexit deal during the referendum campaign - the remain side could have called for this to happen in the event of a leave win. But no, it only seems to have sprung up since the remain side lost, which I have to say is a little suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asaphrocky)
    Should we have a second referendum after May has drafted up the terms and negotiations for a post Brexit UK?
    No, and there's a really good reason why.

A leave vote wouldn't win.

The reason why is the terms would be much more clear by then which wouldn't suit the 2016 idea of a small section of the leave vote tipping it into the remain side.

Now you may say well everyone has the right to change their mind etc like we hear endlessly on tv.

However there is also a section of remain voters who have voted on a false premise too however there is no way to get them in a second vote to vote leave unless they actually see their belief was false.

Everyone knows this and it is simply a ruse to stay.

Basically half want in and half want out and if we stayed half would be pissed off and the same if we leave.

So what's the point you just end up in the same situation as we are in today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You must be bonkers to call for a second referendum. People calling for another referendum are in denial and want it their way; a complete abolition of democracy.

ReputationRep:
    No. If there's any indication at all that a unfavourable deal for the UK could result in the UK staying in the EU via a second referendum then the EU will only offer horrendous terms.

ReputationRep:
    NO.

There are no good reasons for such a referendum and such decisions such as terms of leaving the EU are best left to the professionals rather than that man on the Clapham Omnibus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.