Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Did you enjoy living there? I'm supposed to be moving in September and I just want to be sure.
    How did you lock your rooms? Were they secure?
    Are people there noisy?
    What about the washing? How terrible are the washing machines?
    Is there a gym near by? And how much is a mebership?
    What about the food that you had there? Did you starve >.<
    I guess thats all I am curious about...? Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi grom19,

I’m a recent graduate from Royal Holloway and while I didn’t live in Butler (I was in Kingswood), I hope I can answer some of your questions as the setup of all the halls are pretty similar!

Butler is one of our most popular halls and all the friends I had who lived there really enjoyed it.

For security, all of the halls of residences are accessed by using your college card and the doors will always lock when closed. Your college card can only be used to open your front door, your flat door and room door which makes the buildings secure.

I can’t really say whether people will be noisy or not because I don’t who will be living there, but I’ve never found noise to be a problem when visiting my friends in Butler. If someone is being disruptive, you can always call the campus security and they will be on hand to help you out.

When it comes to washing, the laundry room is in the basement of Tuke, which is next to the post pigeon holes and the housekeeper’s office. I never had any issues with the washing machines or dryers on campus and really enjoyed that they were bigger than average so I could fit most of my wash in a single load.

The gym is a 5 minute walk from Butler downhill so it’s super easy to get to and a good way to pass the time while waiting for your washing. They have a variety of membership offers from bronze to gold that can range from £90-£220 for the year. Each level offers a different type of gym experience to suit a variety of needs.

Butler is a self-catered hall, which means that you’ll have a full kitchen to cook your meals in. I know that a lot of flats would all order their groceries together and have them delivered so they always had a kitchen full of tasty treats that I definitely enjoyed myself! If you don’t want to cook every night, you can always pop down to the Hub or make your way to Founders dining hall for dinner.

Living in halls is such a great experience, I’m sure it’ll be great!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I’d be happy to answer

Susana

ReputationRep:
    If you have ever been to Travelodge, it's like that. Your room and bathroom are pretty great, but the kitchen and laundry is all shared, so it depends on what your fellow students are like.

Easy for the Pizza guys to find as well.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a mirror in the room? (On the back of the wardrobe door?) Is there storage under the bed?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwobi45)
    Is there a mirror in the room? (On the back of the wardrobe door?) Is there storage under the bed?
    Hi iwobi,

Most Butler rooms do have mirrors in the en-suite and inside the wardrobe door, as well as storage under the beds (though you'll need to lift up the mattress to store things so this is best for suitcases and items you don't need access to very often).

Summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grom19)
    Did you enjoy living there? I'm supposed to be moving in September and I just want to be sure.
    How did you lock your rooms? Were they secure?
    Are people there noisy?
    What about the washing? How terrible are the washing machines?
    Is there a gym near by? And how much is a mebership?
    What about the food that you had there? Did you starve >.<
    I guess thats all I am curious about...? Thanks

I am also a recent graduate and did have the experience of staying in Butler during my first year at the college.

Butler, Tuke and Williamson in terms of the building are great and probably the best accommodation located on the campus (albeit the regular fire alarm tests at 5 am and lifts breaking down).

IMHO, the largest degree to whether you are likely to enjoy your time in the halls will really depend on who your housemates are. As previously mentioned, although you have your own room with ensuite shower/toilet facilities (it’s a wet room btw), you do share your hallway and kitchen area with several other housemates.

Unfortunately, you do not really have a say in this matter and it is all down to dumb luck.

In my case, it appears that I was drawn the short straw and ended up living with several animals from the new rhul cohort.

They partied all night (often within the kitchen area), left the kitchen in a tip, never took out the trash (see attached image), smoked weed openly, stole food from each other (and from myself) and played really god awful music throughout the rest of the day. For some reason, they were always off for something called 'reading week' which those of us in the sciences never really experienced.

Despite raising my concerns at least two dozen times to RHUL Student Accommodation and various meetings with the halls ambassadors... nothing ever changed. The worst that would happen is a house meeting with empty threats that never followed.

Eventually, a few us began to keep most of our kitchenware and non-perishables within our rooms. Passive aggressive notes on the fridge became a common theme and I even noticed a few locks being fitted to the kitchen cupboards (wish I thought of that earlier..).

Ah well, they did promise a GREAT experience (although they prob meant in terms of magnitude rather than quality.. like the GREAT fire of London).

But like I said, really depends on who you eventually share the halls with. Who knows, you might get lucky.
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.