Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I not go to Uni this year because of my mental health? Watch

Announcements

This is a broad question, so bear with me, please.
    I have been on the waiting list for therapy/counselling for about a year, and finally, have my first appointment next week (yay). Seeing as how I've probably suffered from mental health issues for over a decade-I'm aware that things will not instantly improve. I am currently 25 and have a long term (6 years now) shoulder problem which has gotten worse, and another physical ailment I will not discuss. I am getting help for this; physiotherapy and steroid injections. I have quit all of my jobs partially due to crippling anxiety/depression, but this year things have reached their worst point. Negative thoughts/symptoms worse than ever. It has affected every aspect of my life. Some of my family members have far worse mental problems than me and cannot even mask it.

On the plus side, I have just finished an access course with satisfactory results, and my desired uni told me that there's a very high chance I can enrol for a 2017 start through clearing. It's a sociology degree, a subject I enjoyed immensely in my access course, but the job prospects are dire if you don't have a clear career goal like me. And the extortionate debt is beyond unfathomable. I have been in employment since I was 18 and still don't know what to do. Yes, I've had interests and pursued them. I've seen multiple career advisors. But have I tried my best? No. That's partly due to my mental fortitude being at an all time low. I cannot try to try my best.

Despite all that, I am being proactive in getting the necessary medical help and have extensively explored my career options this year. But I find myself even more confused. Perhaps three years of pursuing a degree that may not land me decent employment are better than three years of wallowing around in self-pity, being rendered immobile by sharp-anxiety, and more pressingly, wasting my time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been on the waiting list for therapy/counselling for about a year, and finally, have my first appointment next week (yay). Seeing as how I've probably suffered from mental health issues for over a decade-I'm aware that things will not instantly improve. I am currently 25 and have a long term (6 years now) shoulder problem which has gotten worse, and another physical ailment I will not discuss. I am getting help for this; physiotherapy and steroid injections. I have quit all of my jobs partially due to crippling anxiety/depression, but this year things have reached their worst point. Negative thoughts/symptoms worse than ever. It has affected every aspect of my life. Some of my family members have far worse mental problems than me and cannot even mask it.

On the plus side, I have just finished an access course with satisfactory results, and my desired uni told me that there's a very high chance I can enrol for a 2017 start through clearing. It's a sociology degree, a subject I enjoyed immensely in my access course, but the job prospects are dire if you don't have a clear career goal like me. And the extortionate debt is beyond unfathomable. I have been in employment since I was 18 and still don't know what to do. Yes, I've had interests and pursued them. I've seen multiple career advisors. But have I tried my best? No. That's partly due to my mental fortitude being at an all time low. I cannot try to try my best.

Despite all that, I am being proactive in getting the necessary medical help and have extensively explored my career options this year. But I find myself even more confused. Perhaps three years of pursuing a degree that may not land me decent employment are better than three years of wallowing around in self-pity, being rendered immobile by sharp-anxiety, and more pressingly, wasting my time.
    I most definitely think you should go! if not now, then when? you need to be above the illness and you would be so strong for going!! don't let the illness stop you from acheiving your true potential

ReputationRep:
    Universities usually have a wellbeing and support group for people who struggle It's excellent news that you're going to be receiving therapy and that you're positive about it. If this is a degree that you really want to do, this might actually help your chances at succeeding at it. Your environment will change too which may affect your mental health - good or bad. I never got anything from the meetings I'd had with career advisers, in fact, they were the opposite of helpful. It's important to remember that many people who do undertake a degree also don't know what they will do with it when they finish. But at the same time, this can often be made clear as you study the subject and get drawn into a particular area or application of it.

Do your research, and if it's something that makes you happy to think that you could do it, then go for it. Is the lack of desire to do the course due to the lack of motivation anxiety and depression can bring?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

There is a lot of support available for mental health issues at university, so don't rule it out right away. I think it would be worth you talking to the university and their student support teams about what they may be able to offer you in terms of help and support, and looking into DSA (disabled students allowances) as well so you can make a more informed decision

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.