Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really panicking over Further Maths Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    As long as you've put some of your maths jokes in the paper the examiner will give you bonus marks so you should be fine .
    If only, lol.
    Though some of my mistakes were so funny they may appear to be maths jokes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astrtricks)
    I take it that you've self taught maths then? No one is going to ask any awkward questions about your FM GCSE, and your peers are just a teeny bit jealous and clearly they don't appreciate the amount of hard work you put in. If anything it just shows your passion and determination that you self-taught an additional qualification a year before actually doing GCSE maths, and uni's will love that on your personal statement . I still remember the AQA FM non-calculator paper I did 2 years ago and the feeling I got after I left thinking it was the worst exam I ever did and a question asking you to prove that something simplified to tan▀ which i couldn't do. In the end I was the only person to get an A^ but it never made any difference.

If you want something mathsy to do you can always try the Senior maths challenge papers which will be something productive and interesting to do. I'm reading a few books now, you might like some of the 'feinman lectures' or 'how to teach your dog quantum physics' . Also exercise really helps to push any anxiety away and relax so you could do couch to 5k or join a casual sports club.
    Thanks so much for your advice
    I remember the question you mentioned as I did the past paper. It was a difficult paper. If I remember correctly, the boundaries were the lowest they've ever been that year. That paper, in my opinion, was the only one more difficult than this year's paper 2. Hopefully this year's boundaries will also be quite low.

I like maths books. Thanks for your recommendations. I'm currently reading 'Things to make and do in the fourth dimension', it's quite funny. I googled 'How to teach your dog quantum physics' and it looks good, so I might buy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loci Pi)
    Yes, I taught myself C1 and C2 (I'm currently learning C3), and apart from learning integration it is basically GCSE Further Maths. I'm finding C3 quite fun though. I was speaking to my teacher about it a few weeks ago and she agreed that C1 and C2 weren't that difficult, but apparently C4 is quite hard, so I'll look forward to that. At least it will help me have a head start in year 12/13

Thanks for your advice.
    You're going to be doing the new A level Maths and FM, so I would put off self studying FM at least until examsolutions updates or they release a new textbook because they're adding a lot of new things to the FM spec. The A level spec is pretty much the same so you're probably fine studying early for that.

In terms of content, C3 is probably easier than C4 but the C4 exams are almost always harder than C4, not that you have to worry about that anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loci Pi)
    I do these subjects:

ECDL ICT (end of next year but the exams are really quick)

After A Levels I would like to study Maths
    Btw ECDL is bull crap, teacher made my class do it instead of IT GCSE because he thought the class was 'not ready' Yep it was a bad school, however i'm in the 2nd best school in my county now so secondary school means nothing.

Also, that's disgusting!! Maths after a level!???? Good on you but damn I can't wait to finish C3 and C4 and S2 and just leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desmos)
    You're going to be doing the new A level Maths and FM, so I would put off self studying FM at least until examsolutions updates or they release a new textbook because they're adding a lot of new things to the FM spec. The A level spec is pretty much the same so you're probably fine studying early for that.

In terms of content, C3 is probably easier than C4 but the C4 exams are almost always harder than C4, not that you have to worry about that anymore.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheYearNiner)
    Btw ECDL is bull crap, teacher made my class do it instead of IT GCSE because he thought the class was 'not ready' Yep it was a bad school, however i'm in the 2nd best school in my county now so secondary school means nothing.

Also, that's disgusting!! Maths after a level!???? Good on you but damn I can't wait to finish C3 and C4 and S2 and just leave
    I know, ECDL is pointless. We were doing Computing GCSE but then our new teacher got really ill and was off for 8 months. During this time we had to do ECDL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.