Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am having second thoughts about taking a Geology degree later this year. For me, it has always been a decision between a Geoscience degree, or a Computer science degree.

Long story short, I really quite struggled with Geography A2 (AQA) and don't know if I've even done well enough... however, it is not this which I am ultimately concerned about.

I mis-researched the career, and am worried that there is in fact not really a shortage of Geologist around the world. I am therefore concerned that I will find it difficult to become employed with my degree (I'm not even doing specifically Geology either, I'm doing Geology with Physical Geography). However, I know for a fact there is a huge demand for software engineers.

I really do not know what to do, and I am in a difficult situation now, as I am scheduled to go to uni in just 2 months time. I am considering taking a gap year to decide what career path is really going to work for me. I am annoyed at myself that this has came so late on, but I guess it's better to do it now, as opposed to a year into my degree.

What is everyone else's opinion?

Many thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SASASPIRER)
    Hi,

I am having second thoughts about taking a Geology degree later this year. For me, it has always been a decision between a Geoscience degree, or a Computer science degree.

Long story short, I really quite struggled with Geography A2 (AQA) and don't know if I've even done well enough... however, it is not this which I am ultimately concerned about.

I mis-researched the career, and am worried that there is in fact not really a shortage of Geologist around the world. I am therefore concerned that I will find it difficult to become employed with my degree (I'm not even doing specifically Geology either, I'm doing Geology with Physical Geography). However, I know for a fact there is a huge demand for software engineers.

I really do not know what to do, and I am in a difficult situation now, as I am scheduled to go to uni in just 2 months time. I am considering taking a gap year to decide what career path is really going to work for me. I am annoyed at myself that this has came so late on, but I guess it's better to do it now, as opposed to a year into my degree.

Many thanks.
    Would you rather be working in geology, or in computer science? Geoscience is a perfectly employable degree, there are so many factors that are more important such as your motivation, work experience, and so on. Go with the subject that you think you will enjoy the most, because interest in your subject will take you a long way. If you feel like you need to take a gap year out to think things through then that's fine, you've got the time, but please don't mislead yourself by thinking that geoscience is an unemployable degree - it isn't.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Leviathan1741 is doing a geoscience degree and is probably your best bet for subject specific advice!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Many thanks.
    Thanks Amefish

In my opinion, what your decision should ultimately be based on is whether you think you would actually enjoy studying the subject, not demand for jobs, which fluctuates. A geology and physical geography degree is obviously very different to computer science in terms of content and assessment, in a geology degree you'll be doing fieldwork and lab work as well as lectures, and you need to be prepared to potentially give up a fair bit of time during your Easter and summer holidays to carry out the fieldwork required, for example.

I think a gap year is a good idea since that will give you a bit more time to decide, but I echo what Plagioclase says about the demand for geology graduates - there are lots of job and research opportunities available, so try to think about your enjoyment and motivation for each subject instead, as these are the most important factors

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Many thanks.

I also had doubts, I wasn't too worried about employment (it was in the back of my mind though) mainly as I knew there were jobs out there, usually in fossil fuel, mineral and water exploration. With software, there are a lot more tech companies that need software help than there are energy companies that need geological help, so certainly expect more competition for the jobs you'd be applying for.

The other thing about software engineering related jobs, being able to demonstrate what you can do is often enough to get you in the door. You could always do a geology degree, and self-teach app/web development in your spare time, maybe join the CS society at uni. If you built up a decent portfolio over the 3yrs, you'd have a good chance of getting a job in software.

I ended up kind of hating the geology stuff after year 1 and went down a more engineering related route by the end. But if you enjoy the geology side, you can always work on the CS stuff in your own time. That said, a gap year and working on CS stuff could do you some good, for example you could love it and know that's what you want to do, or hate it and know you want to stick with geology.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about your course content, but you may be doing GIS. That has applications across many different sectors. The practical skills you will be learning are also useful outside of geology. So even if there's not a "geology" job, there's plenty of jobs someone with a geology degree can do. Some careers:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...degree/geology

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just graduated from Imperial College London with a BSc Geology and my housemate with a BSc computer science.
    As others have said, it's best if you pick the degree you think you will find the most stimulating because you're gonna be committing 3/4 years into this and potentially a job you'll be doing for your life. Also, it doesn't matter how many jobs are going in either sector, if you're determined enough you can get whatever job you set your eyes on.

If you think you will enjoy coding and learning about logistical networks then go for that. Programming is fun but it can get frustrating when you don't know where your errors are. Computer science is a very useful degree but you'll be surprised how graduates still struggle to find positions. Though my housemate got hired by Goldman Sachs in the tech division and he says he enjoys it a lot (with the added benefit of a 40k starting salary) but jobs at big tech firms and banks are competitive. Startups and IT departments are easier.

On the other hand, (I might be a bit biased on this but) geology is an amazing subject because you get to go on tonnes of amazing fieldtrips in the company of your coursemates and see spectacular scenery. That was my main reason for getting into geology. You get to study so many different things drawn from several disciplines. Things like palaeontology, seismic waves, volcanology, resource geology, engineering geology, hydrogeology, geochemistry.

In that respect geology is so broad that you get to continue studying the 3 sciences, just in a more specific setting. In terms of jobs in geology, the sectors can roughly be split between environmental/renewable/nuclear, geotechnics, oil & gas and mining. Oil & gas is the highest paying but competitive to get into and usually requires an MSc. That being said i have seen fellow classmates being hired by BP, Shell etc but you need to be the best. The mining industry is declining and jobs are more common abroad in Australia, Venuzuela. Environmental and Engineering Geology jobs are the safest option in geology careers because they are in high demand (with growth), provide job stability but are lower paying than the resource industries. Though I am currently doing an internship at Atkins and it is a very fulfilling job that utilises the fieldwork skills and knowledge I've picked up in my undergraduate. In Sep I'm doing my MSc in Engineering Geology at Leeds and hopefully have secured a graduate position at Atkins.

My advice to you would be to research what career you would enjoy doing, look up the role's duties and imagine if you can see yourself doing that in 5-10 years. This was part of the reason I never went into oil & gas as I knew I wouldn't enjoy the work they actually do, regardless of the salary. Which uni are you planning to go to? Take a gap year if you really need to think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karl000)
    Hey, just graduated from Imperial College London with a BSc Geology and my housemate with a BSc computer science.
    As others have said, it's best if you pick the degree you think you will find the most stimulating because you're gonna be committing 3/4 years into this and potentially a job you'll be doing for your life. Also, it doesn't matter how many jobs are going in either sector, if you're determined enough you can get whatever job you set your eyes on.

If you think you will enjoy coding and learning about logistical networks then go for that. Programming is fun but it can get frustrating when you don't know where your errors are. Computer science is a very useful degree but you'll be surprised how graduates still struggle to find positions. Though my housemate got hired by Goldman Sachs in the tech division and he says he enjoys it a lot (with the added benefit of a 40k starting salary) but jobs at big tech firms and banks are competitive. Startups and IT departments are easier.

On the other hand, (I might be a bit biased on this but) geology is an amazing subject because you get to go on tonnes of amazing fieldtrips in the company of your coursemates and see spectacular scenery. That was my main reason for getting into geology. You get to study so many different things drawn from several disciplines. Things like palaeontology, seismic waves, volcanology, resource geology, engineering geology, hydrogeology, geochemistry.

In that respect geology is so broad that you get to continue studying the 3 sciences, just in a more specific setting. In terms of jobs in geology, the sectors can roughly be split between environmental/renewable/nuclear, geotechnics, oil & gas and mining. Oil & gas is the highest paying but competitive to get into and usually requires an MSc. That being said i have seen fellow classmates being hired by BP, Shell etc but you need to be the best. The mining industry is declining and jobs are more common abroad in Australia, Venuzuela. Environmental and Engineering Geology jobs are the safest option in geology careers because they are in high demand (with growth), provide job stability but are lower paying than the resource industries. Though I am currently doing an internship at Atkins and it is a very fulfilling job that utilises the fieldwork skills and knowledge I've picked up in my undergraduate. In Sep I'm doing my MSc in Engineering Geology at Leeds and hopefully have secured a graduate position at Atkins.

My advice to you would be to research what career you would enjoy doing, look up the role's duties and imagine if you can see yourself doing that in 5-10 years. This was part of the reason I never went into oil & gas as I knew I wouldn't enjoy the work they actually do, regardless of the salary. Which uni are you planning to go to? Take a gap year if you really need to think about it.
    Hi there,

I've decided to pursue my degree in Geology, and I'm starting in September. I am studying at Edge Hill, and provided I graduate with a 2:1 or higher, and enjoy the subject, I'm hoping to continue on to get a masters in Petroleum Geology.

Many thanks for your response!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.