Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Declaring unspent convictions on an application form? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, as a youth I got in trouble with the law, (I only got a Reprimand; effectively a warning), but since its a recordable offence it stays on my record. Unfortunately, even though it is not a criminal conviction trialled in court, it is still regraded by some employers as significant enough to disclose.

This is because of changes to retention laws in the UK in 2013, meaning records are kept for longer, and some offences were added to a blacklist that weren't previously on there before. Had the law not changed, this misdemeanour would have been wiped off my record.

Anyhow...

Is it worth even bothering to disclose it on the application form.

Please note: It is for a job in local government. The form is electronic and it explicitly asks me to declare unspent convictions.

But I just think its an excuse to filter down applications. I think the minute they see this they will just throw my application in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Basically, as a youth I got in trouble with the law, (I only got a Reprimand; effectively a warning), but since its a recordable offence it stays on my record. Unfortunately, even though it is not a criminal conviction trialled in court, it is still regraded by some employers as significant enough to disclose.

This is because of changes to retention laws in the UK in 2013, meaning records are kept for longer, and some offences were added to a blacklist that weren't previously on there before. Had the law not changed, this misdemeanour would have been wiped off my record.

Anyhow...

Is it worth even bothering to disclose it on the application form.

Please note: It is for a job in local government. The form is electronic and it explicitly asks me to declare unspent convictions.

But I just think its an excuse to filter down applications. I think the minute they see this they will just throw my application in the bin.
    If its still on your record then I believe you have to disclose it, especially in a government where they are extremely likely to run a background check.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you are explicitly asked to provide such details, there is a reason they are asking for this information. It won't be to filter down applications purely by number though, it will be deemed the role falls under the Exceptions within the Rehabilitation Act and that they have a right to assess candidate's suitability based on the information presented.

With the type of role you are going for you are going to go through a thorough reference check, including some form of DBS check. Anything like this will be flagged up, depending on the nature of the check (standard or enhanced). Not disclosing it is likely to lead to any job offer being retracted, not necessarily down to the details on your record but that you were not truthful in the recruitment process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.