Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How should I call various races in the UK? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Presume I need to give a description of a particular person, inluding his race.
    Which words should I use to name each race to make sure it's not offending or politically incorrect?
    Vocabularies aren't exactly helpful in this matter.

ReputationRep:
    wtf kind of question is this?
    if they're black they're black
    if they're white they're white
    if they're asian they're asian

etc, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    Presume I need to give a description of a particular person, inluding its race.
    Which words should I use to name each race to make sure it's not offending or politically incorrect?
    Vocabularies aren't exactly helpful in this matter.
    Start by not referring to people as 'it'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Start by not referring to people as 'it'.
    Don't agree with reality. He gave you no reasons for why you shouldn't refer to someone as 'it' almost as if he has no idea why he doesn't refer to people as 'it' himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzakalinle)
    wtf kind of question is this?
    if they're black they're black
    if they're white they're white
    if they're asian they're asian

etc, etc.
    How am I supposed to know? In my country of origin, for example "black" translates into "czarny" which may sound unfriendly if not racist. Normally we use a word "Murzyn" which translates to "Negro" but I've heard this one may be understood as racist in the west. So I'm asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    How am I supposed to know? In my country of origin, for example "black" translates into "czarny" which may sound unfriendly if not racist. Normally we use a word "Murzyn" which translates to "Negro" but I've heard this one may be understood as racist in the west. So I'm asking.
    yes, negro is definitely not to be used in the west.
    didn't know you weren't from Britain tbh, my bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon5555)
    Don't agree with reality. He gave you no reasons for why you shouldn't refer to someone as 'it' almost as if he has no idea why he doesn't refer to people as 'it' himself.
    of course OP shouldn't refer to people as "it", the reasons go without saying lmao.

-it's rude
    -it's de-humanising

this is common knowledge reality doesn't need to do a P.E.E paragraph on why not to call people "it" lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon5555)
    Right... thanks for that then

ReputationRep:
    I envy you if you never make any silly mistakes in your non-primary languages.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.