The Student Room Group

People in Birmingham/other cities in UK?

I've just heard from my friend's cousin who lives in Birmingham how some groups of people treat others badly in this city... and that police are reluctant to investigate these cases to avoid accusations of racial hatred.

Does anyone know if this is true or false? Have you heard anything about it? Situation in other cities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PTMalewski
I've just had a heard from my friend's cousin who lives in Birmingham.
It's both scary and disgraceful, how some groups of people treat the others in this city, as well as the police is reluctant to investigate these cases to avoid accusations of racial hatred.
Have you heard anything about it? Confirm, deny? Situation in other cities?

In what ways?
Reply 2
Original post by SCIENCE :D
In what ways?

Bandit assaults involving use of tools such as hammer , threats, robbery, insults at streets, persecution at school, breaking windows, spitting in face. Everything done by people of African, and sometimes of Asian origin. Police was reluctant to investigate these cases because of the racial issue.
Reply 3
I've just had a heard from my friend's cousin who lives in Birmingham.
It's both scary and disgraceful, how some groups of people treat the others in this city, as well as the police is reluctant to investigate these cases to avoid accusations of racial hatred.
Have you heard anything about it? Confirm, deny? Situation in other cities?

Think of Birmingham like the a**hole of England. so much violence, poverty, crack heads, heroin addicts, racism. my friend was also mugged 3 times by the same people.
(edited 6 years ago)
Bandit assaults involving use of tools such as hammer , threats, robbery, insults at streets, persecution at school, breaking windows, spitting in face. Everything done by people of African, and sometimes of Asian origin. Police was reluctant to investigate these cases because of the racial issue.

Against whites or just between all races?
Reply 5
I mean, apart from the accent, I see nothing wrong with Birmingham
Reply 6
:confused:
(edited 6 years ago)
Been in Birmingham for 15 years and never had an issue but I know places like Alumrock have a reputation for harassment and sex crimes, no matter what race as long as you're a girl
Reply 8
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Against whites or just between all races?

I can't tell. My people there are white and there were always assaulted, robbed or threatened by blacks, and sometimes asians. The whites only occasionally insulted them at streets when they heard they're speaking in some foreign language.

Any reason why we're being treated to quite so many threads about races and perceived racial tensions tonight?
Reply 10
I can't tell. My people there are white and there were always assaulted, robbed or threatened by blacks, and sometimes asians. The whites only occasionally insulted them at streets when they heard they're speaking in some foreign language.

None of my friends have ever been assaulted or abused in Birmingham, or anywhere in the UK for that matter.

The only time any of us have been attacked was when they were visiting Ljubljana in Slovenia (brutally attacked by a right-wing mob of football fans for being Foreign and left hospitalised) and Warsaw (attacked in the street by a gang of men once again). Does that mean there is 'Something Wrong' with Polish or Slovene people? Of course not. Idiots and Brutes exist all over the world.

Violent crime is much much lower in the UK than in many other parts of Europe, especially Eastern European countries.
Original post by Reality Check
Any reason why we're being treated to quite so many threads about races and perceived racial tensions tonight?

Because my friend told me about it this evening? And they asked for advice? Oh, and I've asked about vocabulary to make sure I won't offend anyone in this thread.

If you haven't noticed, I've been repeating on the forum for some time, that all the fear about terrorism and immigration is exaggerated, because the number of terrorist attacks is extremely small to that we've seen in the 70ties or 80ties from the commies, it's nothing in comparision to other threats such as car accidents, and immigration is not that much to be feared as it's still a very small % of population.

Original post by jtx045
Does that mean there is 'Something Wrong' with Polish or Slovene people? .

Wrong argument. I've never said that there is something wrong, I'm only asking does anyone else had similar experience or heard similar rumor. Examine the evidence before you sentence me to death penalty.

Original post by jtx045

Violent crime is much much lower in the UK than in many other parts of Europe, especially Eastern European countries.

You must be right. Another reason for which I have never been so far in any Eastern European country. Neither Ljubljana or Warsaw are.
Btw. you've picked a wrong city. There is almost nothing genuine in Warsaw, apart from some communist buildings. Everything else is a post WWII reconstruction.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jtx045
Are you blind? You've titled this thread 'Is there something wrong with people in Birmingham/other cities in UK'. So yes, you did say there is 'something wrong'.

No.

As you quoted, the thread title uses inversion, with 'Is' as the first word, instead of 'it', so this is only a question.
I've also asked if anyone has similar experiences, so either you can't understand simple grammar constructs of the English language or you want to humiliate me for some reason, using the racism accusation. Either way, your statement is false.
There's nothing wrong with Birmingham.
Depends on area to be honest. But thats in all cities I'd guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on the area. I know of people from black, white and asian backgrounds who've been attacked by people of the same or different races. In my experience, its not so much about race but about looking 'weak' or simply being a random target for someone on drugs or in a gang. Not sure about cops not investigating for reasons you've put forward but most of the crimes I know about (concerning me, friends or family members from all different backgrounds)- esp muggings- go unsolved just because the cops have other priorities or lack of funding (I'm assuming here).
Original post by Reality Check

Perhaps there's been a committee meeting at the EDL and they decided to mob social media today.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Perhaps there's been a committee meeting at the EDL and they decided to mob social media today.

Sure. Accuse me of being in EDL, while I'm a foreigner.

Do you see how intolerant and prejudiced you are? My friends have been attacked many times in a British city, then I'm asking is the place dangerous or they just had a bad luck, and you're accusing me of being a member of a fascist organization. What sort of opressive agenda do you belong to, that you accuse people of being the members of far right, nationalist if not fascist organizations, without any evidence whatsoever?
(edited 6 years ago)
Sure. Accuse me of being in EDL, while I'm a foreigner.

Do you see how intolerant and prejudiced you are? My friends have been attacked many times in a British city, then I'm asking is the place dangerous or they just had a bad luck, and you're accusing me of being a member of a fascist organization. What sort of opressive agenda do you belong to, that you accuse people of being the members of far right, nationalist if not fascist organizations, without any evidence whatsoever?

I think that was just a joke tbh...
Original post by zebby1999
I think that was just a joke tbh...

At my alma mater they would kick me out of classes for such joke.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply