Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What makes one 'ask for it'? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am asking in terms of logical consistency, not in terms of severity of moral turpitude.
    These two are related in that the victim understands the outcome, but refuses to take precautions based on the moral standards to which they hold the public.
    How different is the consequence of being sexually assaulted due to revealing clothing and lascivious behavior, from the consequence of having an expensive, uninsured car stolen in a bad neighborhood?

Summary Question: What makes one ask for it?

I am foremost noting that I do not support rape, nor vehicular theft. Any attempts to accuse me of rape or grand theft auto apologetics can save themselves the time - admit yourself for psychiatric evaluation if you believe either to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing makes someone 'ask for it' - especially in the case of rape. It's not the problem of the victim that a rapist rapes them, that's the fault of the rapist. The only thing that 'urges' them to do that is themselves, simple.

Also, what with the hot weather and all, there will be women wearing less - same for men - but that's just to keep cool more than anything...not everyday do things for attention.

The same with stealing a car in a rough neighbourhood - you're not gagging for your car to be stolen, it's a conscious decision made by the scumbag who'll smash the window open and drive off with it.

ReputationRep:
    If you were to view thieves and rapists as mere animals with no responsibility for their actions, then 'asking for it' would be to tempt them with something you know they want - like standing near a monkey eating a banana, you'd be 'asking for [the banana to be taken]'.

ReputationRep:
    'Asking for it' is just a term made up by retards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrythomas14)
    Nothing makes someone 'ask for it' - especially in the case of rape. It's not the problem of the victim that a rapist rapes them, that's the fault of the rapist. The only thing that 'urges' them to do that is themselves, simple.

Also, what with the hot weather and all, there will be women wearing less - same for men - but that's just to keep cool more than anything...not everyday do things for attention.

The same with stealing a car in a rough neighbourhood - you're not gagging for your car to be stolen, it's a conscious decision made by the scumbag who'll smash the window open and drive off with it.
    Not really, the victim is intentionally increasing the probability of a certain bad event occurring. That is indeed foolish behavior and not entirely the offender's fault.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No one asks to be raped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gatewaymerge)
    Not really, the victim is intentionally increasing the probability of a certain bad event occurring. That is indeed foolish behavior and not entirely the offender's fault.
    I highly doubt someone picks out an outfit before going out and thinks 'yeah, this'll increase my chances of getting raped, on it goes.'

Regarding the offender, we all have control over our urges, impulses and actions - they have to make the conscious decision to commit the heinous act.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Are you honestly saying it's not the offender's fault for raping someone??

I highly doubt someone picks out an outfit before going out and thinks 'yeah, this'll increase my chances of getting raped, on it goes.'

Regarding the offender, we all have control over our urges, impulses and actions - they have to make the conscious decision to commit the heinous act.
    Exactly, besides some people full clothed also get raped too. The only fault for a rape is the rapist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Are you honestly saying it's not the offender's fault for raping someone??

Exactly, besides some people full clothed also get raped too. The only fault for a rape is the rapist.

Was referring to the car scenario, if you know that it is a bad neighbourhood, and you know you have an expensive car that most likely will be stolen it is naive to park your car there, as your car will most likely get stolen. At this point some of the blame is on your end, assuming that a thief won't steal your car and magically has become a good citizen is again naive.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Was referring to the car scenario, if you know that it is a bad neighbourhood, and you know you have an expensive car that most likely will be stolen it is naive to park your car there, as your car will most likely get stolen. At this point some of the blame is on your end, assuming that a thief won't steal your car and magically has become a good citizen is again naive.
    Don't compare women to cars.
    What about kids or fully clothed women who get raped, were they asking for it then?

ReputationRep:
    Victim blaming.

ReputationRep:
    It's an excuse used by ********s to justify what they did.

How ****ing sad do you have to be to think someone was "asking for it", people that say that are idiots.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM to above 2 users

ReputationRep:
    Don't compare women to cars.
    What about kids or fully clothed women who get raped, were they asking for it then?
    For christ sake I wasn't talking at all about the rape scenario I was talking about the car scenario and stop putting words in my mouth I didn't say the criminal's crime is any less worse I'm saying the blame isn't all partly on the criminal.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see...personally, I'd just park in a nicer area and deal with walking the rest of the way if I was wary of that happening. Think most others would, too - you'd have to be pretty stupid otherwise.

Those that are naive and aren't familiar with the nature of the neighbourhood also aren't to blame given their lesser knowledge of the heightened risk.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    For christ sake I wasn't talking at all about the rape scenario I was talking about the car scenario and stop putting words in my mouth I didn't say the criminal's crime is any less worse I'm saying the blame isn't all partly on the criminal.
    Yes it is. It's the rapist's fault completely for raping, there's no other reason for it. They should control themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is. It's the rapist's fault completely for raping, there's no other reason for it. They should control themselves.
    Why the **** are you still talking about rape when I've said 3 times already I was referring to the car scenario, can you not read? The whole point I'm trying to make is that if you believe someone isn't going to act rationally then you're partly to blame when they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    It's an excuse used by ********s to justify what they did.

How ****ing sad do you have to be to think someone was "asking for it", people that say that are idiots.
    I didn't claim that. I just gave an example - someone wearing revealing clothes is sexually assaulted.

ReputationRep:
    Making such a claim implies that the woman's clothing is provocative, and to descrive her clothing as provocative is to say that her outfit is likely to create certain sexual feelings in observers, and that those reacting to her outfit are not fully responsible for their behavior. The connection between provocation and responsibility may not be obvious when provocative is used as an adjective (as in “that’s a provocative dress”), but it becomes apparent in statements such as “that dress provoked him.” The latter statement implies two claims: that the dress incited strong emotions such as lust in the viewer, and that those emotions led him to engage in behavior in which he would not have otherwise engaged. Saying “that dress provoked him” implies that a man’s subsequent wrongful behavior is partially excused or justified...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.