Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to study midwifery this year and got 5 interviews. I went to 4 of the interviews and got rejected from them all, now i'm thinking of applying for Adult Nursing through clearing, has anyone done this before or would anyone be able to give me any advice?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelreid139)
    I've applied to study midwifery this year and got 5 interviews. I went to 4 of the interviews and got rejected from them all, now i'm thinking of applying for Adult Nursing through clearing, has anyone done this before or would anyone be able to give me any advice?
    Do you still want to be a midwife?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Yeap I still want to be a midwife but im just thinking if I do Nursing first I might have a better chance of getting in
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yeap I still want to be a midwife but im just thinking if I do Nursing first I might have a better chance of getting in
    You would have to do a top up course which there aren't many of as I m not 100% you could get a second undergrad degree funded. Why not take a gap year and get more experience?

ReputationRep:
    You would have to do a top up course which there aren't many of as I m not 100% you could get a second undergrad degree funded. Why not take a gap year and get more experience?
    I'm from Northern Ireland and Queens do the 18 month conversion course so i would be hoping to do that. I'm scared to take a year out and apply for Midwifery again in September incase i don't get in and end up having to take another year out. Do you do midwifery?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried applying through clearing for midwifery programs? I saw a few that went into clearing, one I can think of is DeMontfort

ReputationRep:
    if you are willing to train as an adult nurse for 3 years to become a midwife then why not apply to places further afield for midwivery instead.

There have been talks of removing the conversion course, would you be willing to do 6 years of training to be a midwife?

make sure you ask for feedback from the interviews to help you with any further inelterviews you have.

Also applying for adult nursing with a personal statement written for midwivery may put unis off. they don't want to take someone on for such an exhausting course for somebody who doesn't even want to do it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    There are very very few postgraduate midwifery options and these are generally very heavily over-subscribed and very competitive, and are being offered by fewer universities each year.

A nursing degree is very hard work, even for those who want to practice adult nursing, but you will have a very miserable time spending 3 years doing something you don't want to do as a career. There is certainly no guarantee that you would be able to access a postgrad midwifery option and you may be stuck having to work as an adult nurse, or having a degree you don't want to use.

My advice would be to get some feedback regarding your application and take a year out to get additional experience and work on your application.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hello,

Have you thought of applying at De Montfort University of Leicester through clearing for Adult nursing? If yes, please do not hesitate to call our clearing helpline on 0116 257 7000 and you will get all the information you want.

Have a nice day!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMU Enquiry Team)
    Hello,

Have you thought of applying at De Montfort University of Leicester through clearing for Adult nursing? If yes, please do not hesitate to call our clearing helpline on 0116 257 7000 and you will get all the information you want.

Have a nice day!
    I think you ve quoted the wrong person.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.