Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

studying philosophy a level in a year..at home? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of taking philosophy (along with english lit and history) via NEC (an online long distance learning program), and I was wondering how the work load would possibly be. I've always had an interest in philosophy so I think I will greatly enjoy this subject.
    However, I'd like to know how the subject is in general, for example, what are the key skills you need in order to do well?, is it a fairly ok subject to /understand?, how many hours a day would I need to put in everyday (or week) in order to get an A* grade with minimum outside help?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi LilyRose - if you're looking to take the Philosophy A Level course with us, some essay-writing skills are essential. If you're looking to take the A Level English Literature and History as well then you would be learning how to answer essay questions in all three subjects, which will help a lot, and you can download a course sample from our site to get an idea of what to expect from the course. The last opportunity to sit exams for the current specification would be in 2018, so depending on when you want to sit your exams you will need to fit around 250-300 working hours into the next year, not including the time you would spend on the course assignments, so you'd be looking at around 8-9 hours on the course per week roughly speaking. On the other hand, we will be launching the new A Level Philosophy course for the new specification later in the year, so you could instead sit your exams in 2019 for that course and give yourself more time. Do please get in touch if there are any questions we can help you with!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.