Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it a competitive degree and should I get a lot of work experience before I apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfghjkk)
    Is it a competitive degree and should I get a lot of work experience before I apply?
    I think you could easily get into it with the right organisation and planning! Are you currently in education?

ReputationRep:
    A. Depends on the uni, but only grades really matter
    B. If you're not fussy about the uni then really really easy, not really competitive either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by games211)
    I think you could get into it easily with the right organisation and planning! Are you currently in education?
    Thank you. I am studing A levels in Chemistry, Biology and English Literature currently.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I am studing A levels in Chemistry, Biology and English Literature currently.
    Have you started looking at universities which interest you?

ReputationRep:
    Have you started looking at universities which interest you?
    Yes, I really love Newcastle and Cardiff and I'm trying to decide which other ones to visit. The problem is all of the entry requirements are very similar and I don't know which unis would be easier to get into. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I really love Newcastle and Cardiff and I'm trying to decide which other ones to visit. The problem is all of the entry requirements are very similar and I don't know which unis would be easier to get into. :confused:
    Try to aim for the best universities you can get into for pharmacy! There's nothing really stopping you if you do well in your A-levels Have a look at league tables, go to as many open days as you can and speak to your careers department at your school. I believe in you! Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Try to aim for the best universities you can get into for pharmacy! There's nothing really stopping you if you do well in your A-levels Have a look at league tables, go to as many open days as you can and speak to your careers department at your school. I believe in you! Good luck!!
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    doesn't sound too difficult but it's always good to get some work experience. I know a girl who was originally doing a foundation year for chemistry and then the uni let her change to pharmacy, didn't even know that was possible tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    doesn't sound too difficult but it's always good to get some work experience. I know a girl who was originally doing a foundation year for chemistry and then the uni let her change to pharmacy, didn't even know that was possible tbh.
    I think I'll do some work experience anyway because it can't hurt and I need to know if it's definitely what I want to do

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll do some work experience anyway because it can't hurt and I need to know if it's definitely what I want to do
    yes yes please do! it will give you something to talk about as well, good luck

ReputationRep:
    Some Unis would take a chimp with CDD, just don't do it !
    The fact that it is so easy to get onto now should tell you something.
    They are not SELECTING like in Medicine, they are actively recruiting to get your 9 grand for 4 yrs! That's £36k, for a degree, that although interesting is massively saturated, there will be a struggle to get a pre-reg training place as you compete against 3000 other graduates, double the number from 15 to 20 yrs ago, and not enough jobs to go around.

ReputationRep:
    It is extremely easy to get into a pharmacy degree nowadays if you apply for the 'easy' universities.

If you are applying for an 'easy' university:
    Universities tend to state that they want ABB for Pharmacy, but in reality will accept much lower.
    Work experience in pharmacy is not essential to your application.
    Your UCAS personal statement doesn't need to be tailored to pharmacy.
    There are always plenty of clearing places available each year.

If you are applying for a more prestigious university:
    BBB is a safe bet
    Most candidates will have mentioned pharmacy work experience in their personal statement
    Your personal statement should really be tailored towards pharmacy
    Places for clearing tend to be more scarce

Even for a more prestigious university, compared to Medicine/Dentistry they are extremely easy to get into. Medicine/Dentistry rejects with excellent grades will tend to have no problem getting into pharmacy anywhere.

UKCAT, BMAT is never required for pharmacy at all.
    Some universities may ask you to do an entrance exam; this tends to form only a part of your application and is not anything difficult; maybe some mathematics questions, converting units, simple biology or chemistry questions, nothing an average candidate would struggle with.

Do not study pharmacy, even if you think you like the job; by the time you graduate, and then do your year of pre-reg training and qualify (5 years total) the job market is going to be dead. Pharmacy is in an absolutely terrible, terrible situation now and its getting worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSmith90)
    It is extremely easy to get into a pharmacy degree nowadays if you apply for the 'easy' universities.

If you are applying for an 'easy' university:
    Universities tend to state that they want ABB for Pharmacy, but in reality will accept much lower.
    Work experience in pharmacy is not essential to your application.
    Your UCAS personal statement doesn't need to be tailored to pharmacy.
    There are always plenty of clearing places available each year.

If you are applying for a more prestigious university:
    BBB is a safe bet
    Most candidates will have mentioned pharmacy work experience in their personal statement
    Your personal statement should really be tailored towards pharmacy
    Places for clearing tend to be more scarce

Even for a more prestigious university, compared to Medicine/Dentistry they are extremely easy to get into. Medicine/Dentistry rejects with excellent grades will tend to have no problem getting into pharmacy anywhere.

UKCAT, BMAT is never required for pharmacy at all.
    Some universities may ask you to do an entrance exam; this tends to form only a part of your application and is not anything difficult; maybe some mathematics questions, converting units, simple biology or chemistry questions, nothing an average candidate would struggle with.

Do not study pharmacy, even if you think you like the job; by the time you graduate, and then do your year of pre-reg training and qualify (5 years total) the job market is going to be dead. Pharmacy is in an absolutely terrible, terrible situation now and its getting worse.

Totally agree with last paragraph 100%

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.