The Student Room Group

Is Spanish really difficult?

I am a Native portugue speaker, I want to learn spanish, and I thought it was easy because it is similar to my language but I've been looking for recommendations and lots of people say it's really difficult

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lalaland09
I am a Native portugue speaker, I want to learn spanish, and I thought it was easy because it is similar to my language but I've been looking for recommendations and lots of people say it's really difficult

Hi! A lot of people says Spanish is a difficult language to learn because it is! It's complicated, and any person telling you otherwise is not helping you. I think that when we start doing something we have to know in what we are getting into. So, yes, it's hard but not impossible, especially if you want to, and that's your case. Besides, I think it's a little easier for people who speak a language that comes from Latin such as Portuguese..
My first language is Spanish and I started tutoring a few years ago to English speakers, if you enroll on a Spanish course or simply want some help with your Spanish, write me, I'm happy to help, absolutely free of course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
no, no es dificil (don't murder me if that doesn't make sense I only started recently)

if you speak portuguese u will find it easy :smile: I think spanish is the easiest of the "mainstream" european languages.

edit - i mean in relative terms of learning a language btw. learning a language is hard in itself regardless of which one it is.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TagridS
Hi! A lot of people says Spanish is a difficult language to learn because it is! It's complicated, and any person telling you otherwise is not helping you. I think that when we start doing something we have to know in what we are getting into. So, yes, it's hard but not impossible, especially if you want to, and that's your case. Besides, I think it's a little easier for people who speak a language that comes from Latin such as Portuguese..
My first language is Spanish and I started tutoring a few years ago to English speakers, if you enroll on a Spanish course or simply want some help with your Spanish, write me, I'm happy to help, absolutely free of course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thank you very much, and where are you from??
my name is Leo by the way
Reply 4
Oh thank you very much, and where are you from??
my name is Leo by the way

Nice to meet you Leo, my name is Tagrid. I'm from Venezuela, and you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Moura
no, no es dificil (don't murder me if that doesn't make sense I only started recently)

if you speak portuguese u will find it easy :smile: I think spanish is the easiest of the "mainstream" european languages.

edit - i mean in relative terms of learning a language btw. learning a language is hard in itself regardless of which one it is.

Lol, It did make sense (I think) yes I know, I'm still struggling with english
Reply 6
Original post by TagridS
Nice to meet you Leo, my name is Tagrid. I'm from Venezuela, and you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nice 2 meet you too Tagrid. hey I'm from brazil!! It's right next to you :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Moura

Hola! ¿Y que tal te va con el español?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
nice 2 meet you too Tagrid. hey I'm from brazil!! It's right next to you :biggrin:

Yes it is!! Awesome! What city? I've always wanted to go to Rio to the carnivals 😍. And do you want to study in the Uk? Why are you here in tsr?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by TagridS
Hola! ¿Y que tal te va con el español?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hola! puedo intender mucho pero no puedo hablar o escribir bien :smile: :smile:

necessito apprender gramatica!
No, Spanish is not that difficult to learn. Like Moura above said, it's considered by most native English people to be an "easy" language to learn, but then most English people are monolingual and have no real concept of what is required to truly master a second language. As with any foreign language, you have to acquire a whole new grammar and vocabulary and true mastery will take years, regardless of natural ability.

This said, you've clearly learned English to a high standard, and English is far 'messier' than Spanish. Spanish has phonetic pronounciation, which means you can pronounce any word purely from how it is written, and a lot of words will be similar to their Portuguese equivalents. The hardest part of Spanish for me is the little suffixes that add shade of meaning to a noun, e.g. -ito, -azo, though you probably have these in Portuguese too.

My advice would be not to worry too much about what other people think, and get stuck in. You may want to stick to learning Peninsular Spanish though, as Latin American Spanish uses different nouns and grammar in some cases, and this can be confusing for a beginner.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by TagridS
Yes it is!! Awesome! What city? I've always wanted to go to Rio to the carnivals 😍. And do you want to study in the Uk? Why are you here in tsr?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you are both from amazing countries :love:

i love brazilian portuguese!
Reply 12
Lol, It did make sense (I think) yes I know, I'm still struggling with english

haha well you are great at english so don't worry about that!
Reply 13
Original post by TagridS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you will want to kill me, I'm from rio hahahaha. Yes, I'm just starting to research about courses and requirements, and I am waiting to take the ielts!

hey, and what about venezuela? how are things there? i've seen a lot of things in the news
Reply 14
Original post by Moura
haha well you are great at english so don't worry about that!

Thanks!! I hope ielts people thinks the same xd
Original post by Moura
you are both from amazing countries :love:

i love brazilian portuguese!

Thank you 😊 and where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, you will want to kill me, I'm from rio hahahaha. Yes, I'm just starting to research about courses and requirements, and I am waiting to take the ielts!

hey, and what about venezuela? how are things there? i've seen a lot of things in the news

Whyyy hahahaha I will go someday! I know it. That's amazing, I hope you go to Manchester :tongue: it's where I want to study! Btw undergrad or postgrad?

About Venezuela its kinda sad.. I really love my country and its amazing, not just because I was born here but come on! See pics online and tell me it's not beautiful:smile:. But right now, there are a lot of problems, people fighting with militaries, and it's really dangerous. My family it's planning to move to chile or another Latin American country, and I want to go to study to uk.. so once again it's sad :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, Spanish isn't particularly difficult to learn. I took it to postgrad level and found it much simpler than either French or German.
Reply 18
Original post by TagridS
Whyyy hahahaha I will go someday! I know it. That's amazing, I hope you go to Manchester :tongue: it's where I want to study! Btw undergrad or postgrad?

About Venezuela its kinda sad.. I really love my country and its amazing, not just because I was born here but come on! See pics online and tell me it's not beautiful:smile:. But right now, there are a lot of problems, people fighting with militaries, and it's really dangerous. My family it's planning to move to chile or another Latin American country, and I want to go to study to uk.. so once again it's sad :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

you are very welcome here in rio! undergrad!. probably manchester, you never know, london is overcrowded

I'm really sorry about venezuela, it is sad :frown: and i know its beautiful, I've never been there but i have friends who have gone to the beaches and they say that they are stunning

Quick Reply