The Student Room Group

Terrible Student Finance dealings

So, January 2017 i left my mSci course because it wasnt for me. Since march ive been battling student finance to gain finance for this year on a course that is definately for me. For the last 4 months i have done everything theyve asked me for and spoken to them atleast twice a week! This week now, despite last week them telling me to write a letter with my addresses for the past 4 years WHICH I STATED on the application form that it hadnt changed, they now are telling me i need to provide evidence for the past 3 years!!!! Who the hell keeps post from the past 3 years? I have nothing.

These people are morons! I have recieved misinformation from every single employee nearly there and im still none the soddong wiser as to what the hell is going on!? Am i the only one who has recieved such abysmal treatment from Student Finance????
Original post by KingPieman
So, January 2017 i left my mSci course because it wasnt for me. Since march ive been battling student finance to gain finance for this year on a course that is definately for me. For the last 4 months i have done everything theyve asked me for and spoken to them atleast twice a week! This week now, despite last week them telling me to write a letter with my addresses for the past 4 years WHICH I STATED on the application form that it hadnt changed, they now are telling me i need to provide evidence for the past 3 years!!!! Who the hell keeps post from the past 3 years? I have nothing.

These people are morons! I have recieved misinformation from every single employee nearly there and im still none the soddong wiser as to what the hell is going on!? Am i the only one who has recieved such abysmal treatment from Student Finance????

Presumably this is about the PG loan and you are seeking additional funding?
PG loan is a one off, so the only way to get it again is for a CPR claim.

If you have spoken to them twice a day then you must have contact with the person or persons responsible for your case and you should have built up a rapport.

All students have to prove they were resident in the UK for EU for the three years preceeding the course.

Bank statements. You can get them from the the bank.
Bills
Letter from school.
Any university correspondence.
Any dealings with official government bodies. HMRC, Council tax, benefits office.
Utilities. Mobile phone etc.
Electoral register entries.

Try and jeep your clam and work with them. they are entitled to ask for such information. Didnt you provide it first time round? You could ask them why they need it again if youve already given it to them?

If you want the money then you normally use some common sense and follow the path of least resistance to get what you want. If you end up being annoyed or insulting people they will just refuse to deal with you. help them and help yourself by giving them what they want or working with them to ascertain what they might be satisfied with to get past your situation.

Its your choice.
Reply 2
Original post by KingPieman

All dealings with them have been the worst stress ever.

You're going to have to escalate your dealings to, I think its an arbitrator or something. They get passed the file and look through it all and then should come back to you with a more definitive answer.

Literally the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

We phoned them last year and were told they would get back to us, 4 months later nothing. Fed up waiting we rang them to check progress then to be told we had to action something and they were waiting for us!

Every time you phone they say 'can you hold on for two minutes' how many two minutes do you need to hold on for. We were once on the phone for over 40 minutes and still got no where.

The whole thing needs a review. So much time and money wasted on the system.

Why can't it just be a simple system whereby once you get your letter of acceptance from the Uni you automatically get put into a system of tick boxes to request how much you want/need. Simple... like this

Fees £9,000 - Y/N

Living £3,000 Y/N or £4,000 - Y/N

Accommodation £3,000 - Y/N

Identify year of study 1 2 3 4

That's it, done in a second!

You're going to be paying it back so what does it matter? Not your parents, they shouldn't even need to get involved. if your parents are funding everything then just say no to everything. If your parents are able to fund some then identify what you need. If you will get nothing from your parents then apply for all of it and a bursary from the Uni.

They ask for all parents earnings for the past years, as you say who keeps all of those anyway. They have to go routing round for all sorts of evidence and then there's no where to say how much they have to pay out on their annual earnings for bills and their own mortgage etc. They could be earning £5,000 each month but their mortgage could be £4,000 pm.

Its all crazy.
Reply 3
No im trying to get degree funding, because the mSci is the degree and masters built in together. Theybe already explained the gift year stage and all that. But every single representative ive spoken to has misinformed me. Im literally at the end of my tether. All i want to do is my degree and it feels like they are literally trying to stop me.

Yes ive sent it to them the first time and also the second time around and it was so straight forward the 1st time now it feels like every obstacle is there. They told me to write a letter and i did and i asked would that be it and they said yes. Done that and now they are asking for this that and the other. Im like why didnt you just tell me this in the beginning!!!

I give up with them.
Reply 4
Im so glad to see its not just me! Literally starting to feel victimised by these people!
Reply 5
I sent all my evidence and then waited 3 months for my application to be approved. I started thinking this is taking ridiculously long so I called. Turns out they required more evidence and said they sent an email about it.. I'd never received any email, I checked all my sf emails to figure out where the delay is. I've only been told this 1.5 months before I'm fue to start uni so my finance may not be approved in time. Their services are terrible and when you ring up, you get different answers each time.. it's like they don't know what they're doing

Quick Reply