Going abroad without telling parents. Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

Lol, the naivety.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on. Where's his passport?

ReputationRep:
    You need to plan for the situation that they find out as, in the nature of such things, they are quite likely to. Personally I would get him to visit you or find a local bf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wowiguessnot)
    Hey guys, I just need a bit of advice on something I've been contemplating.
    I've been in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend in England for the past year. We've been best friends online for one year before, so I've known him for two years total. We've been making plans to meet this October. He doesn't have a passport, so I would be travelling over to England to meet him. However, I can't tell my parents because they are incredibly strict. In October, I'll also be in University so I won't be living with them.

We are both going to split the flight ticket so we're each only paying $350. I just don't know if the plan would work successfully, which is what I need advice on.
    In October, I would just tell my parents that I'm going to be studying for exams which are coming up, but in reality I would be at the airport and flying to England.
    When my parents need to contact me, I would always have wifi and I could always iMessage or Facetime Audio them. I usually talk to them every other day. I'm also going to be paying for everything myself during my travels, so they won't see any bills. I worked for a year and saved up my money so I'll be able to convert my dollars into pounds and use it. I'll call my mom every other day like usual and I'll use Facetime audio so it won't look odd.
    I don't know if my plan is foolproof or if I'm not thinking of anything else? I need advice.
    Also, I will be 18 at that time so I'll be of legal age to travel from the U.S to the U.K. Would my plan work?

Plus, it would be amazing to meet my long distance bf/best friend after two years of knowing each other online. I told a few of my good friends and if anything goes wrong, they said they would cover for me or pay for an emergency flight home if needed.

Not sure if this would work.
    If you have never seen him in person, and I'll mercifully spare you the moral censorship, don't do this.

ReputationRep:
    See!!!! Everybody has told you the same thing! DON'T DO IT!!

ReputationRep:
    I've been in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend in England for the past year. We've been best friends online for one year before, so I've known him for two years total. We've been making plans to meet this October. He doesn't have a passport, so I would be travelling over to England to meet him. However, I can't tell my parents because they are incredibly strict. In October, I'll also be in University so I won't be living with them.

We are both going to split the flight ticket so we're each only paying $350. I just don't know if the plan would work successfully, which is what I need advice on.
    In October, I would just tell my parents that I'm going to be studying for exams which are coming up, but in reality I would be at the airport and flying to England.
    When my parents need to contact me, I would always have wifi and I could always iMessage or Facetime Audio them. I usually talk to them every other day. I'm also going to be paying for everything myself during my travels, so they won't see any bills. I worked for a year and saved up my money so I'll be able to convert my dollars into pounds and use it. I'll call my mom every other day like usual and I'll use Facetime audio so it won't look odd.
    I don't know if my plan is foolproof or if I'm not thinking of anything else? I need advice.
    Also, I will be 18 at that time so I'll be of legal age to travel from the U.S to the U.K. Would my plan work?

Plus, it would be amazing to meet my long distance bf/best friend after two years of knowing each other online. I told a few of my good friends and if anything goes wrong, they said they would cover for me or pay for an emergency flight home if needed.

Okay, so you are planning to lie to your parents, and fly several hours across the world to meet your 'boyfriend' who you have never met. You are supposed to be at university studying (which presumably is costing your parents a fortune) but instead you are going to cut school for an unspecified length of time, to visit him.

How old is this guy? What is he doing? Because if he can just take a holiday from his job that would be much more sensible than you cutting school to visit him.

Why hasn't he got a passport? He lives 20 miles from Europe. Why can't he get one? They cost £72.50, that's peanuts.

Where will you be staying? Will you be staying in the same room? Have you discussed that? Is he (or you) thinking this is just a really expensive and inconvenient booty call? Are you both on the same page about that?

Where will you stay if things go wrong? How are you going to pay living costs?

What about the cost of the flight? Is he going to send that to you beforehand, or has he promised to give it to you when you arrive? What if he doesn't?

All in all, it seems to me that if he were worth all this trouble, he wouldn't mind visiting in a way that was above board and approved by your parents. The fact that he is instead conspiring with you to deceive your parents in a massive way, says all I need to know about him.

Don't go. Wait. Do this above board or not at all.

ReputationRep:

Not telling your parents and going to a foreign country 🤦
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAwesomeGuy)
    Are sure you trust him? If your parents find out by any chance your life will be ruined, remember that.
    As the above post says there is a lot of catfish going on so please be careful. And good luck
    Why would her life be ruined? Kids lie to their parents all the time. If the OP is an adult, then she's entitled to travel if she wants.

I'm more concerned that you really don't know him. He may be everything you think, but he could have told you a pack of lies. Please tell someone what you're doing. Better yet, take a friend with you just in case. Travelling across the world to meet a virtual stranger is a bit risky. I hope it works out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexandraW96)
    I'm sorry what? He doesn't have a passport? What so he's just stuck in England and can never move around? This sounds very fishy. Even if he is who he says he is physically. If you really want to meet him, do so, but I would put in way more security than you already have. Can't a friend come WITH you to meet him?
    Yes, most people have a passport here. That is fishy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    Why would her life be ruined? Kids lie to their parents all the time. If the OP is an adult, then she's entitled to travel if she wants.

I'm more concerned that you really don't know him. He may be everything you think, but he could have told you a pack of lies. Please tell someone what you're doing. Better yet, take a friend with you just in case. Travelling across the world to meet a virtual stranger is a bit risky. I hope it works out.
    If her parents find about it they will be broken emotionally, the lies which kids tell their parents and this lie is completely different. What if the guy turns out to be a bad guy? Her parents will blame all of this on her.

ReputationRep:
    I mean it's all well and good saying you can message and facetime them but remember that the UK are a minimum of 5 hours ahead of the states (depending on where you are). So if they try and call you at say 9pm that's 2am in the UK so that'll probably be something that'll get you caught out.

Also he doesn't have a passport? That sets major alarm bells off in my head, like yeah i know not everybody has a passport but considering how close we are to mainland Europe surely he's done the family holiday thing to france at least once?

I'd just be very wary of flying across the world to someone you don''t even know if he is who he says he is. Also as someone else mentioned, what if theres a family emergency back home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAwesomeGuy)
    If her parents find about it they will be broken emotionally, the lies which kids tell their parents and this lie is completely different. What if the guy turns out to be a bad guy? Her parents will blame all of this on her.
    Yeah, they would definitely be hurt and angry. Probably more worried though. I think the OP is being very naive. I hope it's not a scam, but I really don't think she should go.

ReputationRep:
    Better hope the plane doesn't crash.

ReputationRep:

Your parents aren't being strict. They are being good parents by protecting you from potentially getting yourself into a dangerous situation. It is fishy this guy doesn't have a passport. What does he use for ID as some businesses require a passport as ID?

Some people act very differently online than to what they are really like in person. You only know the online behaviour of this guy.

What if this guy is a psycho and kidnaps you and cuts off all access to communication between you and your friends?

Why would you ruin your academic success for a guy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    Yeah, they would definitely be hurt and angry. Probably more worried though. I think the OP is being very naive. I hope it's not a scam, but I really don't think she should go.
    I also think the same.

ReputationRep:

Your NOT TELLING YOUR PARENTS, I SENSE A BADASS

ReputationRep:

How do you know if he's not just a creep who wants to kidnap you what if something happens to you in a foreign country and being all alone ... maybe you should at least tell a friend or something you really can't trust people 100% these days

ReputationRep:
    I agree with others that this doesn't sound very safe. And tbh if I had a girlfriend in another country I'd probably invest in a passport given they cost £70. Also it sounds like this relationship isn't going very far given he hasn't even bothered to buy a passport and it's taken you a year to save up to visit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.