Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Monologue (Of Mice and Men's Characters) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know who is the best character to do for "Of Mice and Men" for a monologue.
    If possible, may I have a sample of your chosen monologue???
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debbieg00)
    Anyone know who is the best character to do for "Of Mice and Men" for a monologue.
    If possible, may I have a sample of your chosen monologue???
    Are you performing a monologue or doing creative writing from the point of view of a character.

Normally for the latter it's best to choose a character who is important to the story/plot but who doesn't have much dialogue within the text.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's both. So we read the book and then we chose a character and write a monologue from the character's POV.

ReputationRep:
    ooh it's a little while since i studied OMAM but i'd say do one of the main characters, one on George or Lennie would be quite good because there is a lot you could say. Sorry I couldn't be any more help

ReputationRep:
    It's ok. Thank you for your information😊😊

ReputationRep:
    These are my samples....
    If you could kindly give me some more ideas or even at more stuff in.... Just attach the file back into your reply.
    Thank you for all your help in advance.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx DRAFT George Monologue.docx (21.6 KB, 15 views)
  2. File Type: docx DRAFT Lennie Monologue.docx (22.2 KB, 12 views)

ReputationRep:
    George, Curleys wife, even Curley (his anger towards the new workers).
    Lennie would be hard to write as though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debbieg00)
    These are my samples....
    If you could kindly give me some more ideas or even at more stuff in.... Just attach the file back into your reply.
    Thank you for all your help in advance.
    I can't open either of them, there's an error message

ReputationRep:
    Curley's glove.

ReputationRep:
    Lennie Monologue- Of Mice and Men

Before Lennie dies (recalls his time with George) and the events up to his death ….

I feel bad. I feel real bad. I tried but I kept messin’ up! I just wanted to feel the dress. I didn’t think she would mind. But she did. And I held on, cause maybe she’d just stop screaming and keep walkin’, cause then I could walk with her and feel the dress at the same time! But…. She kept screamin’, and then I just held on cause I didn’t know what else to do. Then… George hit me with the picket…. again and again. Why did he do that? I would’ve let go… probably.
    And also, I still haven’t told him about the pup. I’ve done a bad thing with the pup. But it was bigger than the mice! It was his fault, he shouldn’t have died! I’ve never told George ‘bout how it bites me and that really hurt. When the girl came in I said ‘I’m not s’possed to talk to ya.’ But the girl was pretty. And she said it was gonna be alright. That I’d still get to live with George and the rabbits. And we talked ‘bout her hair and how it was soft. It was real soft and I didn’t wanna let go. And then she started screamin’ and I was afraid that if George found out that she’d been screamin’ then he had find out about the pup and…. And... so, I covered her mouth. And I shook her cause she just wouldn’t listen. Then she was quiet…. She was real quiet.
    I just remembered somethin’. I need help rememberin’ things sometimes but this is a thing I remembered all on my own! I remembered a guy on the ranch. He was mean to me. I didn’t know why?... But he hit me hard, real hard – in the face! And it hurt and I did what George said, I did. I didn’t hit em’ back. But, then George said it was ok. So, I tried to protect my head and grabbed his hand. He had a real small hand. I could feel all his little itty bitty bones crackin’ and breakin’. But… I didn’t wanna let go cause he might hit me again. I didn’t want him to hit me again.
    I remembered when we first met George! My Aunt Clara gave me a piece – a soft stuff. I liked to pet it! Then George came in and I let him pet it and we met! And then later I was drownin’ in the water cause I can’t swim… I don’t remember how I got into the water…. but it was cold. And then George saved me! George pulled me out of the water and was tappin’ me to see if I was okay! George saved me.
    I’ve been wanting to say I’m sorry to George. I wish I woulda been nicer. He was nice to me… so I shoulda been nice back! Like when he said he let me have ketchup on my beans. I liked beans! I like em’ with ketchup and then George said we don’t got any. And then he got mad…. he said like he did before ‘bout how if he didn’t have me then he could take his pay, and getta stay in a cathouse. But mostly he was nice. George said he’d let me have rabbits. And I coulda pet em’ and fed em’ and pet em’. And we coulda had a little place and live off the fatta the land! ‘cause I got George and George got me!
    I remembered I had to go to the clearin’ and meet George here, I remembered all by myself! George said, George said he was gonna buy the place right then. But instead… he told me to take off my hat and look at the water. The air was nice and it was warm! And then… then there was nothin’… he shot me… George shot me…. maybe he should’ve. Cause George was always sayin’ how he coulda lived better without me. And sometimes I would say that I was gonna go off and live in a cave. But honestly, I didn’t really wanna live in a cave, I just thought that it woulda made George say I could stay. I don’t think I coulda really lived in a cave. I coulda if George was there. I’m glad cause George will be happy now. Maybe George can take his pay and go live in a cathouse and live off that fatta the land! But it’ll be differen’. Cause I don’t got George no more…. And George don’t got me no more; Still, if George is happy, then I’m gonna be happy! And if he thinks shootin’ me was the right thing to do, he’s right, cause George always knows best.

ReputationRep:
    George Monologue- Of Mice and Men

Where George kills Lennie…….

Life is like a game of cards. You win some, ya lose some, but you have to play to be in with a chance. Well I’m sick of playing. My hand is shakin’ so much I can hardly keep hold of the gun, and if I don’t hurry up Lennie will turn around.
    I try to convince myself that its better this way. Better for him to die smilin’ with a friend by his side than all alone with that innocent look of confusion and betrayal across his face. I just wish there was ‘nother way. Anything but this. We should never have come here. I shoulda listened to Lennie when he told me to leave. It’s strange, but in a way he is sometimes cleverer than everyone else. Still, no point worrying about that now. I made a mistake, and I can’t change that. Everyone makes mistakes. Some are just bigger than others.
    I wonder if it’s true what they say about relivin’ your life in your final moments. Because the time Lennie and I spent together is flashin’ before my eyes. Every laugh, every tear. It is as though I am tryna tell myself something, but I just can’t quite put my finger on what it is.
    Its time. I can hear the others comin’ towards us through the woods. I gotta choose now if I want to have any say in this. I don’t want to do it. I swear, I don’t. But I have too. Because sometimes there is no right answer. Sometimes all the choices you have are bad ones. But ya still have to choose.
    I shut my eyes, and take one last raspin’ breath, forcin’ myself to left the gun. Slowly, I pull the trigger.
    Curley and Slim burst into the clearing, but all I see is Lennie’s cold unseeing eyes. Lennie is fallin’, and so am I. Someone is tryin’ to talk to me but I can’t hear them. I can only hear the sound of my heart poundin’. The weight of what I have done hits me, and it is though I am carryin’ the world on my shoulders.
    This is my ghost, and it will never leave me. Life ain’t gonna be the same without him for a start it’s gonna be a hell of a lot lonelier. I shut my eyes, and my mind is filled with images of Lennie. Happy, sad and worst of all, those glazed eyes with all the life sucked out of them. The knowledge that Lennie will never again see the light of the day is somethin’ I will take to the grave. But I’m sure Lennie will be in a better place, filled with mice and rabbits and soft things, loads of em’, all just waitin’ to be pet.
    Life is like a game of cards. I’m sorry Lennie, but we lost this one.

ReputationRep:
    They're both really good! I like the Forrest Gump reference with George's (life is like...) I think I like Lennie's better though
    Good work!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! Is there any advice or changes u wanto make??? FEEL FREE I would kindly take it😅😅

ReputationRep:
    Maybe add something about Lennie not meaning to forget things but he can't help it? Things jumbling around in his head!
    Not wanting George to get angry?

taking his hat off (when he's about to get shot) because George tells him too and he trusts George - not wanting to upset him even though it's cold etc.

Hope this helps! (Tag me if you reply, because otherwise I don't get a notification )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawatt)
    Maybe add something about Lennie not meaning to forget things but he can't help it? Things jumbling around in his head!
    Not wanting George to get angry?

taking his hat off (when he's about to get shot) because George tells him too and he trusts George - not wanting to upset him even though it's cold etc.

Hope this helps! (Tag me if you reply, because otherwise I don't get a notification )

Yep thank you!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.