Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey so I guess a lot of you here are going to uni so I thought I'd offer some advice concerning how to go about making friends.

What typically happens is everyone just goes round awkwardly introducing themselves saying what their name is, what course they do, and where they're from and then after they've finished they kinda just stand their awkwardly before moving on to the next person. I suggest before just moving on to the next person, try and spark up a different type of conversation maybe ask them whether they're interested in doing any sports or if they're going to any of the freshers events and also maybe try and compliment the person too as that will help you cross the bridge between strangers who have something in common given they're both students at uni, to perhaps friends.

I didn't really do this at first and hence a few weeks into uni I was feeling like I didn't belong and didn't have anything I could count as a close friend however once you start doing your course and going along to societies and things you can easily build up quite a good network of people, and this is coming from someone who had one friend during sixth form and even then, I never met them outside of school.

If you've never had real close friends throughout your life, coming to uni will enable you to meet a lot of nice new people who will be desperate to make friends too !

I went in assuming I'd just be some loner cause that's who I've been all my life but amazingly I'm finishing first year with a lot people I would count as life long friends

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is terrified at the prospect of making new friends at uni, this was really comforting and helpful!! Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cait1239)
    As someone who is terrified at the prospect of making new friends at uni, this was really comforting and helpful!! Thanks so much
    That was the reason I wrote it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.