The Student Room Group

Do you think med students/doctors are just in it for the money?

Or do they care about people? I feel its all about money and status.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it's about the money and status completely but it could be one aspect to why people become doctors.

There's years of training medical students have to go through so they incur more debt than an ordinary student whilst struggling through their tough course. And when they start working as junior doctors, the hours are long and the pay is small. The job is emotionally enduring because of the amount of sick people who die or who don't improve despite their best efforts and also it is physically enduring because the doctors are on their feet most of the time and there's little time for breaks.

There are far easier ways to make a lot of money and gain a lot of status so I think that people become doctors more because they want to save lives.
Original post by Got Milk
Or do they care about people? I feel its all about money and status.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its a factor, but then there are easier ways to make the money.
People are different so not everyone is like that.

You seem to post a lot about money and status and your desire/ frustration to acquire it.. As I recall your most recent post was along the lines thats the only objective in the west, which was simply wrong and simplistic.
Original post by 999tigger
Its a factor, but then there are easier ways to make the money.
People are different so not everyone is like that.

You seem to post a lot about money and status and your desire/ frustration to acquire it.. As I recall your most recent post was along the lines thats the only objective in the west, which was simply wrong and simplistic.

My most recent post was about degrees in IT so you are wrong. You named one example and acted as though it was a standard practice. Get of my nutts seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes there will be people who are in it for the money. They will be the bad doctors though :smile:
In the coming 6m I have to pay:

GMC fee: £450
Union fee: £100
College fee: £100
Exam fees: £815-£1225 (more if I don't pass first time, 50% pass rate)
Hospital parking permit: £240 (doesn't guarantee a space, may still end up using pay and display patient car park)
Exam courses: £200-£1000

I also have student debt that is probably around £30k and lost two years of earning compared to my 3yr undergraduate peers.

So, no.
(edited 6 years ago)
It is stupid to go into medicine for the money - there are far easier and smarter ways to earn a high salary e.g. enginering
No.I think they are in it to help ppl
Original post by Etomidate
In the coming 6m I have to pay:

GMC fee: £450
Union fee: £100
College fee: £100
Exam fees: £815-£1225 (more if I don't pass first time, 50% pass rate)
Hospital parking permit: £240 (doesn't guarantee a space, may still end up using pay and display patient car park)
Exam courses: £200-£1000

I also have student debt that is probably around £30k and lost two years of earning compared to my 3yr undergraduate peers.

So, no.

These are temporary debts you will earn 100x that in the long-run

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. But dentists are.

Spoiler

Yes. Do you think doctors what to mess around with catheters for fun? There is nothing more disingenuous than an NHS doctor claiming they want to help people.
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom
Yes. Do you think doctors what to mess around with catheters for fun? There is nothing more disingenuous than an NHS doctor claiming they want to help people.

Catheterising someone in acute urinary retention is probably actually one of the most satisfying simple procedures you can do as a doctor, because it provides immediate relief for someone in a great deal of suffering.

Quick Reply