Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do we think we're less or more attractive than we are? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    We look in the mirror daily, but do we tend to focus more on our imperfections in an attempt to try and perfect them or do we neglect them and see ourselves more attractive to try and boost our esteem? How does other see us for the first time?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Some people think they're less attractive, others think they're more attractive, while a few can judge their attractiveness fairly in a completely objective way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Some people think they're less attractive, others think they're more attractive, while a few can judge their attractiveness fairly in a completely objective way.
    Why would people think they're more attractive?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concav)
    Why would people think they're more attractive?
    Delusion, big egos, subjectivity, etc
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ there is nothing wrong with someone thinking their attractive. *facepalm*

Bloody society telling people to be confident and then backstabbing them for it.

Insecurity is NOT attractive
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butfirst_coffee)
    Jesus christ there is nothing wrong with someone thinking their attractive. *facepalm*

Bloody society telling people to be confident and then backstabbing them for it.

Don't think OP said there's anything wrong with it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Don't think OP said there's anything wrong with it.
    You referred to them as being 'delusional' and having 'big egos'

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure the psychological literature suggests that we tend to rate ourselves similarly to how others do, but women tend to rate themselves slightly lower, and men slightly higher.

Note I'm delving back 5 years to my A-level psychology here, could probably dig up the study though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Pretty sure the psychological literature suggests that we tend to rate ourselves similarly to how others do, but women tend to rate themselves slightly lower, and men slightly higher.

Note I'm delving back 5 years to my A-level psychology here, could probably dig up the study though.
    So if you're ugly, you pretty much see through the mirrors and if you're attractive, the same? What about if you're in the middle, like 5/10 avg?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It depends on someone's self-esteem and confidence. If someone lacks these, they will think they are less attractive, most likely, while those with good self-esteem and confidence will think they are either as attractive as they truly are or more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concav)
    So if you're ugly, you pretty much see through the mirrors and if you're attractive, the same? What about if you're in the middle, like 5/10 avg?
    The same. Obviously there are the deviations from the norm, we can all think of those who have low self esteem despite being good looking and vice versa.

ReputationRep:

PRSOM :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    There's no single answer to this question - on some days I find myself rather average, on others quite attractive. Our sensibilities, our introspective thoughts are fickle, and expecting them to be uniform is not reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    I think people are as attractive as they are. 😂

ReputationRep:
    You referred to them as being 'delusional' and having 'big egos'
    If someone thinks they are vastly more attractive to people than they really are then that is a delusion

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person - it's definitely a subjective thing. You get 10's thinking they're disgusting and -4's thinking they're god's gift (both guys and girls).

What I don't like, however, is people showing how 'confident' they are by bragging about how good they think they look. It's as if they have to let everyone know how confident they are, something truly confident people don't need to do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    If someone thinks they are vastly more attractive to people than they really are then that is a delusion
    Funny..no one ever calls insecure people delusional

ReputationRep:
    Funny..no one ever calls insecure people delusional
    It depends if they have a reason to be insecure
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    It depends if they have a reason to be insecure
    Say if someone wasn't attractive. Would it make them more attractive being self loathing? No it wouldn't.

On the other hand if they were confident, because they think they are attractive. To me that's so much more endearing

ReputationRep:
    I'm a solid 7 and I know it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.