The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford/Cambridge for Law while holding a concurrent offer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gnash18
Just to clarify, so I can apply to Oxford while studying LSE but I can't do this if I want to apply to Cambridge?

Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Oxford= Yes, but they will probably ask for an LSE reference
Cambridge= NO!

still do you own research. I don't think people at Oxbridge like that overall. Maybe Oxford just doesn't say that explicitly.
Reply 21
Original post by gnash18
The thought of studying in Cambridge is quite daunting, and I'm afraid that the workload will be extremely huge as well. That being said, LSE is no pushover and I don't expect the workload in LSE to be much less as compared to Oxbridge. To me, the workload is just something I'll have to cope with wherever I study, be it Cambridge or LSE. In terms of environment, I think I see the merits of living in both a small town and a big city. The campuses in Cambridge are beautiful but perhaps I would enjoy London a bit more, because there's so much to do.

I guess I'll have to deliberate on whether it's worth it to risk my place in LSE for the chance of applying to Cambridge. Frankly, I would be very happy with LSE but a part of me wants to to find out if I'm capable of receiving an offer from Cambridge. The opportunity to study at one of the most historical and prestigious universities in the world is certainly tempting.

Do a postgrad at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by gnash18
Just to clarify, so I can apply to Oxford while studying LSE but I can't do this if I want to apply to Cambridge?

Correct
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
still do you own research. I don't think people at Oxbridge like that overall. Maybe Oxford just doesn't say that explicitly.

How about this (https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/session/L3RpbWUvMTUwMDk5ODQzMy9zaWQvaFV3OUl1b24%3D): Oxford policy on applying whilst at Uni
I can't find direct details on Cambridge though :-(.
Attending Oxbridge is not by force. LSE is a fantastic university, and is almost on par with Oxbridge for Law
Reply 25
How about this (https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/session/L3RpbWUvMTUwMDk5ODQzMy9zaWQvaFV3OUl1b24%3D): Oxford policy on applying whilst at Uni
I can't find direct details on Cambridge though :-(.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

Can I transfer to Cambridge from another university?

Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

Can I transfer to Cambridge from another university?

Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I stupidly couldn't find it!.
Reply 27
Its a gamble but Oxbridge is very good, but also very stressful and work intense.

Personally I would contact the Oxbridge departments seperately, tell them about your situation and ask them if they would accept you or the chances, it wouldn't hurt. Also if you are a mature student, over 21+ then when applying to oxbridge, (well i know cambridge does this), apply to a mature college (ones that accept 21+ graduates) as that'll improve your chance from being accepted.
Reply 28
What about not applying during the following year, accepting your offer at LSE and then reapplying during the first term, if money is not a huge problem (given the fact that you are an international applicant about to study in LSE, it probably is not)? That way you would not lose your spot and, at the same time, would have an opportunity to apply to Oxbridge.
Original post by aware1
apply to a mature college (ones that accept 21+ graduates) as that'll improve your chance from being accepted.

I think you need to be slightly careful with this. Mature colleges admit students who have the same standards as standard age colleges. Mature students can be admitted to a standard age college (and are), and can be rejected from a mature college (which they are). If a mature student applies to a standard-age college and is worth an offer but the college doesn't feel they can accommodate him or her, they will put the student in the pool.

'Mature' colleges do have an edge when analysing a non-standard student's application, as they're more used to considering qualifications and backgrounds other than the standard school-leaver ones. But I think by saying 'improve your chances of being accepted' you're in danger of saying that the mature colleges someone make it 'easier' for mature students. They don't - the required standard, aptitude and potential are the same: it's just what the candidate brings to the table to evidence this which is different.

Apologies if this isn't actually what you're saying.

@Christ's Admissions - could I trouble you for an opinion on this? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Oxford= Yes, but they will probably ask for an LSE reference
Cambridge= NO!

Would they want to give a reference? Surely it's a bit awkward to help somebody leave your institution for what they think is a better on.
Reply 31
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Would they want to give a reference? Surely it's a bit awkward to help somebody leave your institution for what they think is a better on.

Indeed. And after less than a month of knowing them too... (to meet the 15 Oct deadline).

It does happen, but I agree it is awkward. The alternative is to get a school reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
They do not require a reference from the uni, it is only preferable. A friend of mine was accepted to Oxford whilst studying at Warwick and he used his teacher's reference.
Original post by zzas
They do not require a reference from the uni, it is only preferable. A friend of mine was accepted to Oxford whilst studying at Warwick and he used his teacher's reference.

Yep, same with the person I know
Better to get a reference from someone who will have known you for 2+ years than maybe no more than 2-3 weeks.
Original post by gnash18
Hi guys, I applied to read law last year. I only decided that I wanted to read law late last year, so I missed the application deadlines for Oxford and Cambridge. I did manage to get offers for LSE/UCL/King's though, and I firmed the LSE. I'll be starting school in 2018, because I applied for deferred entry.

Recently, I was thinking of applying to Oxbridge this year, as I feel quite gutted that I didn't get the chance to try for Oxford or Cambridge, and they're really really great institutions. However, if I do so, what happens to my current offers? From what I know, the offer from LSE will be withdrawn, and I'll have to reapply to all the schools again. If that's the case, will LSE/UCL/KCL note that I've rejected them before, and will that play a part in their decision making process?

I'm quite conflicted because I know that I'm essentially taking a gamble as it's obviously really difficult to get into Oxford/Cambridge. On the other hand, I feel as though I might be potentially missing out on the chance to study law at two of the best universities in the world. I also think that their teaching styles are quite good compared to the other universities, but I suppose this is subjective. I do like their 3 is to 1 system though. Appreciate all the help I can get!

Think carefully both about the pros and cons of the general environments of where you'll be (clearly, student life in London will be dramatically different to Oxford or Cambridge), and also about course content. In this regard I'd imagine there will be significant similarities between the uni's you're considering, but pay attention to the differences. You may find it helpful to compare module-by-module, even; if it were me, I'd always give preference to the institution whose course I prefer.
You can't reapply anywhere while holding a deferred place.

Cambridge doesn't accept applications from students already at another UK university except in exceptional circumstances. Oxford does.

But as others have said it's probably not worth the extra complications to apply to Oxbridge in a gap year and has no guarantee of success.

But, no , LSE etc wouldn't hold a grudge if you really decide to give up your place and reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup - O*ford is much happier to accept applications like this.

Indeed. And after less than a month of knowing them too... (to meet the 15 Oct deadline).

It does happen, but I agree it is awkward. The alternative is to get a school reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford says they want a university reference and evidence of good marks at undergraduate degree level
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/related/1

In effect they will accept applications from applicants who have completed first year and are applying to restart while suspending their studies on their current course.

OP if you're international I am pretty sure tier 4 visa rules prevent transferring to repeat a year.
Original post by PQ

OP if you're international I am pretty sure tier 4 visa rules prevent transferring to repeat a year.

OP, this is critical.
Original post by Crumpet1
OP, this is critical.

I've checked and it isn't impossible but it requires applying for a new visa from their home country (which may or may not be granted depending upon whether ukvi rules don't change in the next 12 months and that restarting is considered to not break the visa rules around progression).

So no guarantees and not cheap.
You can't reapply anywhere while holding a deferred place.

Cambridge doesn't accept applications from students already at another UK university except in exceptional circumstances. Oxford does.

But as others have said it's probably not worth the extra complications to apply to Oxbridge in a gap year and has no guarantee of success.

But, no , LSE etc wouldn't hold a grudge if you really decide to give up your place and reapply.
PRSOM
Original post by Reality Check
I think you need to be slightly careful with this. Mature colleges admit students who have the same standards as standard age colleges. Mature students can be admitted to a standard age college (and are), and can be rejected from a mature college (which they are). If a mature student applies to a standard-age college and is worth an offer but the college doesn't feel they can accommodate him or her, they will put the student in the pool.

'Mature' colleges do have an edge when analysing a non-standard student's application, as they're more used to considering qualifications and backgrounds other than the standard school-leaver ones. But I think by saying 'improve your chances of being accepted' you're in danger of saying that the mature colleges someone make it 'easier' for mature students. They don't - the required standard, aptitude and potential are the same: it's just what the candidate brings to the table to evidence this which is different.

Apologies if this isn't actually what you're saying.

@Christ's Admissions - could I trouble you for an opinion on this? :smile:

Yes, I'd absolutely agree with you: mature colleges will expect the same academic standards as standard-age colleges, and they can be particularly competitive for Law (which is a very popular subject among older students, and second-time undergraduates). You're right that they often have an edge when assessing applications from students with an atypical trajectory, but I think all colleges have experience with Singaporean qualifications, so it wouldn't really be an issue in this instance.

That said, if the OP wants to private message me, I'd be happy to advise him personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending