Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying to Oxford/Cambridge for Law while holding a concurrent offer Watch

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I think you need to be slightly careful with this. Mature colleges admit students who have the same standards as standard age colleges. Mature students can be admitted to a standard age college (and are), and can be rejected from a mature college (which they are). If a mature student applies to a standard-age college and is worth an offer but the college doesn't feel they can accommodate him or her, they will put the student in the pool.

'Mature' colleges do have an edge when analysing a non-standard student's application, as they're more used to considering qualifications and backgrounds other than the standard school-leaver ones. But I think by saying 'improve your chances of being accepted' you're in danger of saying that the mature colleges someone make it 'easier' for mature students. They don't - the required standard, aptitude and potential are the same: it's just what the candidate brings to the table to evidence this which is different.

Apologies if this isn't actually what you're saying.

Christ's Admissions - could I trouble you for an opinion on this?
    I'd absolutely agree with you: mature colleges expect the same academic standards as non-mature colleges, and can *more* competitive than some non-mature colleges for Law, which is a very popular subject among older students and second-time undergraduates.

You're right that they can have the edge in assessing non-standard applications, but I don't think that is especially relevant in this case: all colleges have experience of dealing with Singaporean qualifications.

That said, if @gnash18 wants to private message me, I'd be happy to advise him personally.

ReputationRep:
    Just sheer snobbery about Oxbridge. LSE is an amazing uni especially in my subject Politics and Business management. You should consider yourself very lucky.

ReputationRep:
    You actually don't have a place at Oxford or Cambridge guaranteed though do you?

If you rejected LSE it could potentially be a mistake that you regret for the rest of your life.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosco316)
    Just sheer snobbery about Oxbridge. LSE is an amazing uni especially in my subject Politics and Business management. You should consider yourself very lucky.
    Perhaps, but not necessarily. The collegiate system and having regular (very) small group supervisions/tutorials is pretty much unique.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.