Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really worried about my ability to learn to drive after first lesson... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I had my first driving lesson last week (a 1hr30min lesson) and I felt a bit overwhelmed by the whole experience. My instructor is clearly very qualified in what she does and I like that but I really struggled to get a hang of the basics... So she took me to a quiet road where I had to drive down and do a few left turns, however, I was really bad at steering! (my expectation was that this would be the easiest part of driving) My instructor kept having to help me steer and telling me to relax my hands which I thought I was doing. Also, I really struggled to get an idea of when to fully take my feet off certain pedals like the clutch as I was scared that it would stall the car in the middle of the road.. Once the lesson had finished, I just felt really embarrassed by my lack of ability to do the basics...

But, I have a two-hour lesson scheduled next week and am feeling quite apprehensive!

Anyone else had a similar experience?
    Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    I sucked when I first started as well (mainly with the clutch and gears). You'll get better so don't give up! It just takes practice.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasmineBerry)
    So I had my first driving lesson last week (a 1hr30min lesson) and I felt a bit overwhelmed by the whole experience. My instructor is clearly very qualified in what she does and I like that but I really struggled to get a hang of the basics... So she took me to a quiet road where I had to drive down and do a few left turns, however, I was really bad at steering! (my expectation was that this would be the easiest part of driving) My instructor kept having to help me steer and telling me to relax my hands which I thought I was doing. Also, I really struggled to get an idea of when to fully take my feet off certain pedals like the clutch as I was scared that it would stall the car in the middle of the road.. Once the lesson had finished, I just felt really embarrassed by my lack of ability to do the basics...

But, I have a two-hour lesson scheduled next week and am feeling quite apprehensive!

Any tips?
    Yeah I was slightly the same, I had my first 2 hour lesson back in October and I just kept stalling and I felt as though my instructor was just rushing me in the first lesson. I didn't have a lesson after that and now I'm starting my lessons again this Summer with Automatic instead because I don't think I can manage with a Manual car.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:

Any tips?
    Everyone is terrible to start with. I must have stalled at least a dozen times when I first started using a clutch. And the less said about my first attempts at parallel parking the better. :p:

There are just no instincts you can use to get used to driving, it's an entirely learned behaviour. That means you're starting from scratch, and until you get a feel for how the controls work, you're going to suck at it badly. Don't worry about it though, give it a few weeks and you'll be getting a fair bit more confident, and bit by bit you'll build up the skills you need.

ReputationRep:
    One step at a time… perhaps you should practice driving with an automatic car and when you’re confident with steering and such, move back to manual? You could either book automatic lessons or ask someone with an automatic car if you can drive with them and take out learner insurance (it’s fairly cheap)

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it I was the exact same. My favourite parts of the lessons at the beginning was when my instructor was talking and not expecting me to drive. You'll get used to it if you just have consistent lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a family member with a car that might be able to take you to an empty car park or something for a few rounds so you can get used to the pedals etc. You might just be nervous/self-conscious because the instructor's watching you so closely? Also outside of lessons you can write down what you've learnt and go over it. There's probably more help online like videos and stuff too that you might be able to go over?

I'm on my fourth lesson and I'm still awful at the controls.

ReputationRep:
    I was awful at the controls up until my 6-7 lesson (about 10-12 hours worth) where it all just clicked, Im still a bit fast on the clutch sometimes but I haven't stalled in a good few weeks now
    I didn't stall on my first lesson, once on my second and about 23 times on my third lesson, accept the fact that you will stall the car, you will do it several times, you will probably do it several times each lesson in your first few lessons. You will stall so many times, you will become an absolute master at stall recovery.
    As for steering, sometimes its the method that is being taught that some people can't get on with. My friend learned with an instructor who religiously made his students use push-pull (AKA feeding the wheel AKA granny shuffling )steering, I can't push-pull to save my life so I use hand over hand. Its a pretty prevalent myth especially among people who passed long ago that you need to use push-pull, the fact is that you don't as long as you remain in control of the car

Im not gonna get into a debate about which method of steering is "better" but push-pull is generally considered safer as both hands are on the wheel and your hands never cross so you can't get tangled up. If you're like me and you just can't do it, ask to try hand over hand

ReputationRep:
    Whilst you don't need to use push pull it's a hell of a lot safer, they're not being anal about it to be anal; they want you to be safe on the road,

ReputationRep:

Any tips?
    I was horrible for the first two lessons. I took my driving lessons in Hong Kong and had a 70 years old Chinese instructor shouting at me every time I crossed my arms or forgot to look left/right when turning. Definitely felt put-off too, but it went all fine eventually after a few more lessons.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.