Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tories promote the right to choose your own sex Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asolare)
    Oh jesus christ people have a different opinion is not transphobia would you get over yourself. More importantly you cannot arbitrarly go around changing your BIOLOGICAL sex. Change your gender all you ****ing want and be a sea manatee if you like to, but you nor any other trans person can change their genetic makeup.
    There are plenty of people here calling trans people childish for something they literally cannot help, saying we're deluded and impossible. Some of what is being said here is 'textbook' transphobia where they're denying our chance to, you know, freely express ourselves and be respected by others. I'm not saying they're transphobic for having a different opinion to me, I'm saying they're expressing anti-trans opinions that are in some cases misguided and perhaps misinformed (and perhaps not - I'm just, like they are, trying to persuade them that my view is at least partly correct).

I understand the concerns, but what kind of medical emergency requires knowledge of genitalia and (some) secondary sex characteristics? If that were the case, surely blood type should go on everyone's passport and driving licence?

Trans people are not trying to change their 'biological sex' or their 'chromosomes' (though there's a lot more variation here than you might think, you might want to ask an expert as I am but a lowly humanities student); they are doing everything they can to transition so they can see themselves closer to how they feel they should be. The issue of changing gender/sex markers is about social transition and being seen as your 'chosen' gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asolare)
    Oh jesus christ people have a different opinion is not transphobia would you get over yourself. More importantly you cannot arbitrarly go around changing your BIOLOGICAL sex. Change your gender all you ****ing want and be a sea manatee if you like to, but you nor any other trans person can change their genetic makeup.
    Don't confuse biological sex and legal sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Never really understood why so many people seem to have an issue with this; it doesn't affect you how other people identify, so it's bizarre that so many people are adamantly against it.
    agree with this 100%

---

more accurate to say that the Tories adopted this policy after pressure from Corbyn/Labour as well, he asked them to do it and they did, the Tories are in a very weak position so ceding ground on these issues make sense for them I guess, either way I think it's a good move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Rory)
    agree with this 100%

---

more accurate to say that the Tories adopted this policy after pressure from Corbyn/Labour as well, he asked them to do it and they did, the Tories are in a very weak position so ceding ground on these issues make sense for them I guess, either way I think it's a good move.
    People have been putting pressure on the government to do this for ages, and I agree that it's a good move! I read somewhere that they're also changing the laws on gay men donating blood, which is great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    Don't confuse biological sex and legal sex.
    It's supposed to be the same damn thing.

I'll just change my age and height on my driver's license too, shall I?

I'm now an 8 ft tall 190-year-old with red eyes. The authorities will have a fun time figuring out that one should they ever have to identify my body after an accident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    It's supposed to be the same damn thing.

I'll just change my age and height on my driver's license too, shall I?

I'm now an 8 ft tall 190-year-old with red eyes. The authorities will have a fun time figuring out that one should they ever have to identify my body after an accident.
    It hasn't been the same thing for a while, the ability to change one's legal sex isn't a particularly new practice. They just want to make the process less onerous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Dodgypirate)
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...-sex-sk2q2vwc0

I'm sure the The Times are aware that sex =/= gender.

You can't choose or change your sex, chromosomes or genes, unless you're a superhero, of course.

What does everyone think about this?
    (Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
    I'm finding it increasingly hard to support the modern Conservatives. First they embrace LGBT rights now they are letting people switch gender at will. The tentacles of cultural Marxism continue to grow.
    (Original post by Dot.Cotton)
    The Tories have turned into an utter joke. How DARE they call themselves the Conservative Party, there's nothing conservative about them whatsoever.
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    It's only a matter of time until we get to choose our own species.

The problem is we in society are forced to go along with it. Here in Ontario, if you don't refer to somebody by their "preferred" gender identity (no matter how bizarre or made up it might be), you could face a legal penalty.

In my honest opinion, it's a social fad which may or may not be here to stay. This phenomenon involves predominantly young, socially awkward people who have found a new way to express themselves, and now the establishment is embracing it and pandering to them (and forcing the rest of us to do the same).

A lot of it is encouraged and amplified by the postmodern, hyper-progressive nonsense being taught to people in liberal arts schools.
    OTOH, the gender pay gap myth would die. Businesses who pay the average male worker more than the average female worker could have its highest paid employees legally change gender to rectify it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.