Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how is it possible to run 2.4km in less than 9:30 min? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regi...ute/26245.aspx

2.4 km (1.5 mile) run: The course is on level ground and on a good running surface. It is an individual best effort and you should aim to finish in less than 09:30 sec.

i have been practicing for weeks and my best time is 11 min 30 sec... surely 9 min 30 sec is very difficult to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    lol, it's entirely possible, just remedy your breathing, up your pace and maintain consistency.

it's hard but the more you train the more stamina you build, which should serve purposeful

ReputationRep:
    Step 1: Start running properly.

There's literally no step two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)

2.4 km (1.5 mile) run: The course is on level ground and on a good running surface. It is an individual best effort and you should aim to finish in less than 09:30 sec.

i have been practicing for weeks and my best time is 11 min 30 sec... surely 9 min 30 sec is very difficult to achieve.
    What do you expect from the paratroopers??

ReputationRep:
    If you run 2.4km in 11.30 that's maybe 2500 meters in a cooper test. For a young male, that's average or slightly below average. Just need to keep training.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of training have you been doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 111davey1)
    What kind of training have you been doing?
    olympic size track, 400metre per round. Just run 6 rounds and time myself. so thats 2.4km.

Best time is 11 min 30 sec. Out of breath at the end of 6 rounds and half dead. Can't think how could anyone go below 9:30.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I got pretty close to this back in my school days. It's hard, but far from impossible.

If a skinny 17 year old me could come within 30 seconds of that, then you can easily surpass it.

ReputationRep:
    olympic size track, 400metre per round. Just run 6 rounds and time myself. so thats 2.4km.

Best time is 11 min 30 sec. Out of breath at the end of 6 rounds and half dead. Can't think how could anyone go below 9:30.
    It's a good idea to build up your endurance base as well so maybe go on a few long runs

ReputationRep:
    a 6 minute mile isn't breaking any records and a BFT (basic fitness test) used to be a squad run of 1.5 miles followed by a further 1.5 miles individually.

more to the point, why are you looking at infantry???
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard0328)
    more to the point, why are you looking at infantry???
    I suppose it's exciting and what not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)

just want to find out whats the fitness standard for athletes, search it on google and that page pops out.

ReputationRep:
    just curious... are u in the royal airforce??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you do realise that paratroopers are beasts?

They literally have to beat the crap out of each other in P company selection phase for 1 minute.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    just curious... are u in the royal airforce??
    No but I can see why you'd make that assumption

ReputationRep:
    not for academics! At least it never appealed to me hence my BARB test got me into the Royal Corps of Signals. You can still apply for special forces (SAS) with a trade behind you. They actually prefer if in the SAS because they need a bit of grey matter whereas the Paras are more fitness only (glorified grunts).

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to reach such a competent level in a few weeks mate.

ReputationRep:

It shouldn't be too hard to achieve this if you vary your training. I'm a 16 year old girl (5 ft 1 lol so my stride length isn't great) and can run this distance in well under 10 minutes (I don't know the exact time as I normally run xc and this isn't exactly a common distance for me). You just need to train using some pyramidal fartlek training for speed plus longer runs to improve your endurance and stamina. I'd also recommend cross country runs to improve your strength.

Out of curiosity, when do you want to achieve this time by?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard0328)
    not for academics! At least it never appealed to me hence my BARB test got me into the Royal Corps of Signals. You can still apply for special forces (SAS) with a trade behind you. They actually prefer if in the SAS because they need a bit of grey matter whereas the Paras are more fitness only (glorified grunts).
    I wouldn't even mention their name at this stage lol.

ReputationRep:
    Guess this is for para entry?

Do interval training, starting out on a treadmill, on an incline of AT LEAST 2% (to replicate 'similar' outdoor terrain). Maybe in the morning at the gym.

Then do a 2.4km/1.5 mi run in the evening.

Set yourself a goal.

The evening run may start out at 11:30, but as you improve interval training, you will improve your breathing and build up stamina to get a sub 9 run.

It's going to take months of training however, took me around 6 months.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.