The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Math1791
HI, I am applying to Oxford. But I sat STEP 1,2, AND 3 in June 2017. My grades were 1,2 and 2 respectively. Could anyone kindly tell me how my grades will be looked at? I missed a 1 in STEP 2 by 3 marks.
They said they want to shortlist candidates with academic ability for mathematics and STEP could be used to look at my academic ability, if I have given it. So could anyone please tell me if my grades reflect ability for Mathematics or is 2 not good enough in STEP 2 and 3.

Are you now in Year 13 or a gap year applicant?
HI, I am applying to Oxford. But I sat STEP 1,2, AND 3 in June 2017. My grades were 1,2 and 2 respectively. Could anyone kindly tell me how my grades will be looked at? I missed a 1 in STEP 2 by 3 marks.
They said they want to shortlist candidates with academic ability for mathematics and STEP could be used to look at my academic ability, if I have given it. So could anyone please tell me if my grades reflect ability for Mathematics or is 2 not good enough in STEP 2 and 3.

Those are good grades, considering it is only Oxford you are applying to :tongue:

No, seriously, those grades should only help your application.
Original post by Andy Lau
Are you now in Year 13 or a gap year applicant?

gap year.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Those are good grades, considering it is only Oxford you are applying to :tongue:

thank you:smile:
gap year.

Thanks..... if you achieved these grades at the end of Year 12, you are a real genius.
Original post by Andy Lau
Thanks..... if you achieved these grades at the end of Year 12, you are a real genius.

haha, I am sure there are much better applicants than me. I am definitely not a genius!
I'm applying to Oxford for Maths & Computer Science, but have offers for Maths at Bristol and Bath so will sit a couple of STEPs this summer to try and get my offer down to A*AB :smile:

I've already done a lot of STEP practise over the summer and in year 12 (I was considering STEP I during my AS exams but ended up not doing it); I've done most recently (in August) STEP III from 2000 and 2003, and I normally aim to do 4 pure questions and 2 stats questions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 267

Are you sure? I would think that they'd look bad on a Cambridge application, Oxford may well be different but I can't see how 2,2 is going to help in anyway...
Original post by Zacken
Are you sure? I would think that they'd look bad on a Cambridge application, Oxford may well be different but I can't see how 2,2 is going to help in anyway...

They might look bad on a Cambridge application - I think this is debatable, especially if they can see the raw mark - but they're only applying to Oxford, and they got these in Year 12.

Cambridge's standard offer is 1,1. And they kind of throw out offers to people they think who can achieve that.

Cambridge is in its own league; Oxford is comparable to Imperial and Warwick, which hoover up the would-be mathmos who achieve 2,2s or worse after Year 13.
Reply 269
They might look bad on a Cambridge application - I think this is debatable, especially if they can see the raw mark - but they're only applying to Oxford, and they got these in Year 12.

I don't see how this is debatable. Cambridge specifically state that they don't care what year you take your exams in, if you take them early then you better be confident about them and they will judge you with little consideration of the fact that you sat it a year early.

I think Oxford will place more emphasis on the MAT and how you do in interview. What A-level (or equivalent) grades do you have?

They will also be keen to know how you will be keeping your maths skills up to speed over your gap year, so do think how you will answer questions on this!
Original post by Falcon11
Anyone know when they'll announce the STEP dates??

Sorry if I have missed a reply to this, but they are up now!

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/step/dates-and-costs/
Original post by Drogo Baggins
Sorry if I have missed a reply to this, but they are up now!

STEP I: June 12th
STEP II: June 18th
STEP III: June 21st

(all mornings...)
Original post by Drogo Baggins
I think Oxford will place more emphasis on the MAT and how you do in interview. What A-level (or equivalent) grades do you have?

They will also be keen to know how you will be keeping your maths skills up to speed over your gap year, so do think how you will answer questions on this!

I scored 94 percent in the Indian Board. 99/100 in Mathematics, so my grades are alright I think.

In my gap year I have been working as a Data Analyst at a FinTech firm. Other than that I do past AEA, STEP and MAT papers when I can. Also I have been studying Mathematical Logic and Mathematics for Astronomy with help of coursera/ edx and books.
I scored 94 percent in the Indian Board. 99/100 in Mathematics, so my grades are alright I think.

In my gap year I have been working as a Data Analyst at a FinTech firm. Other than that I do past AEA, STEP and MAT papers when I can. Also I have been studying Mathematical Logic and Mathematics for Astronomy with help of coursera/ edx and books.

By any chance did you write JEE Advanced? Did you take STEP at the end of your 12th std? I am not sure but I feel a 2,2 won't be impressive in any particular way.Its whether you are able to get that 1,1 or not and thats all they care about. I know one Indian student who got 2,2 at the end of his 12th(he had an offer 1,1 but missed it) and reapplied and got an S,1 offer. All the best.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Duke Glacia
By any chance did you write JEE Advanced? Did you take STEP at the end of your 12th std? I am not sure but I feel a 2,2 won't be impressive in any particular way.Its whether you are able to get that 1,1 or not and thats all they care about. I know one Indian student who got 2,2 at the end of his 12th(he had an offer 1,1 but missed it) and reapplied and got an S,1 offer. All the best.

No I did not write JEE. Yes, took it at the end of 12th Std. Thank you for the insight:smile:
Original post by Zacken
I don't see how this is debatable. Cambridge specifically state that they don't care what year you take your exams in, if you take them early then you better be confident about them and they will judge you with little consideration of the fact that you sat it a year early.

Cambridge say a lot of things, but in reality it will depend on the college you apply to, just like everything else.
Original post by Zacken
2018 exam dates

STEP I: TBA
STEP II: TBA
STEP III: TBA

STEP 2018 dates

June 12
June 18
June 21

All a.m.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I'm a bit confused with the first q on the 1987 paper? (good start, right?? lmao)

But yeah, the solutions aren't helping me either, is there any chance someone could explain to me how to go about it please?

I follow the solution up to a =btan(bx) (except I wrote it as a/b = tan(bx)) any reason you'd write it like that? Thereafter I'm rather lost, it all gets a bit confusing, after that step what I did was inverse both sides, so bx = arctan(a/b) then I was a bit confused.

Any explanation would be good, thank you. Question and solution attached

Latest

Trending

Trending