Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

STEP Prep Thread 2018 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric-man7)
    I have completed STEP II ans STEP I and working on the remaining STEP III papers.
    how's that a good thing? you dont have anymore practice material for step and the exam is in 9 months...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1256)
    how's that a good thing? you dont have anymore practice material for step and the exam is in 9 months...
    I never claimed it was a good thing, but I have been preparing for a long time now (atleast 11 months) so its easy to see how I ran out of practice material. Its partially my schools fault for forcing me to take all 4 A-levels a year early.

ReputationRep:
    I never claimed it was a good thing, but I have been preparing for a long time now (atleast 11 months) so its easy to see how I ran out of practice material. Its partially my schools fault for forcing me to take all 4 A-levels a year early.
    What subjects did you do and what did you get ?????
    Also......what are you doing this year then?

P.S........start panic when seeing someone has already done all the papers.....!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing enrichment mathematics and participating in informatics contests.

ReputationRep:
    I took Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Biology. With an A*A*A*B, will my B in biology affect my chances?

ReputationRep:
    I would not really panic though, you're still incredibly early. In fact my problem is possibly much worse than yours.

ReputationRep:
    I would not really panic though, you're still incredibly early. In fact my problem is possibly much worse than yours.
    I planned to start it in Nov (before interview).....now still doing things that interest me (Fourier series...complex analysis) lol.... but somehow I still found Step questions not straightforward. How do you find them after going through all the papers????

ReputationRep:
    Some of them become more straightforward than others, geometry and number theory become so much easier if you solve enough olympiad questions ,differentiation gets easier after a lot of practice, however my dream of being good at integration and statistics is still far, but I am starting to see an improvement in stats after studying extra modules (I took virtually no statistics in Maths or further maths).

ReputationRep:
    Some of them become more straightforward than others, geometry and number theory become so much easier if you solve enough olympiad questions ,differentiation gets easier after a lot of practice, however my dream of being good at integration and statistics is still far, but I am starting to see an improvement in stats after studying extra modules (I took virtually no statistics in Maths or further maths).
    Which college are you applying to? Trinity...?

ReputationRep:
    I highy doubt fourier series will help with STEP though, STEP questions arenot really susceptible to higher maths.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I am applying to Oxford (oriel), but I will still take STEP for warwick and the fun of it.

ReputationRep:
    I highy doubt fourier series will help with STEP though, STEP questions arenot really susceptible to higher maths.
    Sorry i didn't mean that...... Learning Fourier series is for 'recreational' purposes...... And it's used quite often in complex analysis (mainly Fourier transform), which is related to my EPQ....

ReputationRep:
    I have never done an EPQ, what sort of books do you use to study and is it mathematiclly rigorous?

ReputationRep:
    I have never done an EPQ, what sort of books do you use to study and is it mathematiclly rigorous?
    Analysis:
    A Chinese textbook ( a few bits left, such as Stoke's theorem) now doing Rudin's ( haven't finished and didn't fully understand some proofs)
    Complex Analysis:
    Schaum's as a starting point, 'cuz it's really easy! Now doing Elias Stein's.... kinda dry and dull I'd say. I've only done chapters up to the residue formula so far....:
    Fourier Analysis:
    Elias' (Just started a week ago)

My EPQ talks about the Riemann Hypothesis (mainly the zeta function and the PNT) Fun thing to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Lau)
    Analysis:
    A Chinese textbook ( a few bits left, such as Stoke's theorem) now doing Rudin's ( haven't finished and didn't fully understand some proofs)
    Complex Analysis:
    Schaum's as a starting point, 'cuz it's really easy! Now doing Elias Stein's.... kinda dry and dull I'd say. I've only done chapters up to the residue formula so far....:
    Fourier Analysis:
    Elias' (Just started a week ago)

My EPQ talks about the Riemann Hypothesis (mainly the zeta function and the PNT) Fun thing to do!
    I'd be interested to hear how it comes along. I was planning on doing a pure maths epq but was a bit stumped as to what to do it on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I'd be interested to hear how it comes along. I was planning on doing a pure maths epq but was a bit stumped as to what to do it on.
    Yeh I've done it and handed it in......the journey was REALLY tough I'd say.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Lau)
    Yeh I've done it and handed it in......the journey was REALLY tough I'd say.....
    Interesting, what did you include?

ReputationRep:
    Mainly
    History of primes
    Euler product formula
    Gamma function
    Zeta function
    PNT
    Future of the problem

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Andy Lau;74057392]Mainly
    History of primes
    Euler product formula
    Gamma function
    Zeta function
    PNT
    Future of the problem[/QUOTE
    Do these books contain exercises and practice material?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Same here, what are you actually doing it on?

For me it's a programming project on card games (strategy). I'll probably find the best strategy for 'Go Fish' that has been found up to this point

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.